Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:56:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Reformatted hard drive, realized wallet file not in backed up bitcoin folder  (Read 2405 times)
levitening (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 03:11:30 AM

So, my computer was BSODing regularly, so I decided it was time for a clean install of Windows 7. I backed up the "bitcoin" folder in Program Files, assuming my wallet was located in there...

With a fresh reinstall, I open up the bitcoin program, and viola. 0 BTC.

Any chance of recovering the wallet without spending large amounts of money? The wallet wasn't worth that much, but it does constitute a quarter of my investment, which means there is that much less chance of recovering what I put into GPUs.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BitQuestr (BitCoinWorldMarket)

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 03:17:33 AM

I have heard a lot of people have had luck with http://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm

Otherwise if you don't have another backup your wallet is a goner Sad It hurts, I'm sorry for your loss..

thinkweis

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2011, 03:18:13 AM

Look for data recovery software. Also, I'm sure everyone wants to know how much you lost.
levitening (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 03:25:34 AM

Considering my "investment" was two 5830s, you can do the math Tongue. I'll check into SpinRite, but it's not the end of the world.
JBDive

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 03:29:09 AM

Considering my "investment" was two 5830s, you can do the math Tongue. I'll check into SpinRite, but it's not the end of the world.

Spinrite will not recover your data from a reformat, in fact it will likely make any recovery impossible!

Look for Data Recovery software. DO NOT keep working on that PC, each time it writes data to the HD your making it less likely you will recover anything.

You want to work with the drive in read only mode booting off a CD. There are several apps which may get you there. Look for Hiren's. Past that point I will be glad to help but we need to do it outside of chat and I will need some BTC ...
KenJackson

Activity: 127

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 03:39:53 AM

With a fresh reinstall, I open up the bitcoin program, and viola. 0 BTC.

This is a argument against bitcoin.  It would be bad enough investing in something like precious metals or rare coins that could be lost, destroyed or stolen.  But this is now the second story I've read about someone that lost money due to hard drive problems.

I'm still lurking and considering.  I'm rooting for bitcoin, but stuff like this scares me.

BTW, both of these stories provide good arguments to use a more secure operating system than Windows.  Like what?  Almost anything available is more secure than Windows.  Ubuntu Linux, Fedora Linux, FreeBSD, OS X, PC-BSD or soon OpenIndiana (or maybe someday even Haiku).

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1135

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2011, 04:00:23 AM

Did you do a full erase of the drive, or reinstall something on top of it? Hope not.

Bitcoins may be recoverable and I know how.

Boot another drive, attach the lost Bitcoin drive as secondary. Download winhex. Open the raw drive (press F9, must run winhex as administrator).  Search entire drive for this byte sequence

01 03 6b 65 79 41 04

Let me know if you find it. If so, bitcoins may be safe.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 04:31:02 AM

someone needs to make a built in pop-up warning in the bitcoin applications telling ppl to backup their wallet.dat in two different locations everytime the program executes.
Dubs420

Activity: 20

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 04:45:36 AM

I use MozyHome free 2GB for my offsite backup plan this way if you ever lose a hard drive or completely melt a system you have a backup still.
JBDive

Activity: 238

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 05:11:11 AM

I use MozyHome free 2GB for my offsite backup plan this way if you ever lose a hard drive or completely melt a system you have a backup still.

Really, ever tested that restore....
TripHammer

Activity: 42

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 06:08:58 AM

If you are using an offsite/cloud backup plan make sure that you encrypt the file well before you transfer it!
nipsy

Activity: 9

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 06:52:03 AM

or soon OpenIndiana

*laugh*  Are people still waiting for the corpse of OpenSolaris to wake up from the dead and start doing something again?  I like ZFS and all, but using something that is so marginalized at this point seems like a "Bad Idea"™.  I'm not referring to bitcoind specifically.  I just meant as far as operating systems go.

I'd also like to add OpenBSD to your list.  Hell, I'm not even sure bitcoind works on OpenBSD.  From what little searching I just did, it seems like it doesn't yet.  That seems like an oversight since it's always billed as one of the most secure operating systems in existence, out of the box anyway.  Having said that, encfs under FUSE in any Linux still seems like the best way to go for now until the wallet natively supports encrypted private keys.  And even then, it would probably be a good thing to keep it on some kind of encrypted file system.
Patheos

Activity: 11

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 07:07:42 AM

When making your backups of bitcoin, the wallet.dat file is located in the user file, (actual users name), AppData, Roaming, Bitcoin folder.
PandaMiner

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 07:35:33 AM

When making your backups of bitcoin, the wallet.dat file is located in the user file, (actual users name), AppData, Roaming, Bitcoin folder.

Yeah. Imagine upgrading your client and it erasing your wallet? That doesn't happen, but kinda scary thought.

Get your encrypted wallet data file in the cloud, (I love how that's so mainstream now. To the cloud!) Or at least OFF your computer in some form or fashion. 

Also, have TWO "wallets," one for every day use, and one for savings. I do it. And I use boot-from-usb key to do it. And also saved encrypted wallet off the usb key. I put a copy on my web server, on my 8MB SanDisk SD card, lol, and I printed it out in hex. (geek)

❘|❘ NEUFUND Re-Imagine ICOs | Connect off- and on-chain with equity tokens | Enjoy risk-free commitment
JOIN THE ICBM | JOIN THE DISCUSSION
KenJackson

Activity: 127

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 10:24:53 AM

And also saved encrypted wallet off the usb key. I put a copy on my web server, on my 8MB SanDisk SD card, lol, and I printed it out in hex. (geek)

It does seem wise to back it up multiple place frequently.
Having a cron job do it would also seem wise.

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 10:30:42 AM

Yeah, it's fascinating, the bitcoin client automatically put the wallet.dat very well hidden somewhere in the computer without even telling it to you

And then we wonder why bitcoin is not widespread used?

Bert

Activity: 126

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 11:54:33 AM
Last edit: July 01, 2011, 12:37:10 PM by Bert

Maybe add a backup option in the client. You click on backup and it prompts you with which drive do you want to save the wallet.dat as wallet-yyyymmddhhmmss.dat ?
With big red warnings that the backup file is not encrypted,  the same care must be taken with it as with a real life wallet full of cash. And that if you have no backups and your hard drive dies, you have lost your wallet, with little chance of recovering it.

Instead of people magically knowing where to go to find their current wallet.dat file.
Windows: C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Bitcoin
(AKA)       %APPDATA%\Bitcoin
Mac      : ~/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin
Unix      : ~/.bitcoin

Tip jar: 1BW6kXgUjGrFTqEpyP8LpVEPQDLTkbATZ6
PandaMiner

Activity: 322

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 12:13:35 PM

Maybe add a backup option in the client. You click on backup and it prompts you with which drive do you want to save the wallet.dat as wallet-yyyymmddhhmmss.dat ?

+1

❘|❘ NEUFUND Re-Imagine ICOs | Connect off- and on-chain with equity tokens | Enjoy risk-free commitment
JOIN THE ICBM | JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Bitcoinreminder.com

Activity: 240

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 12:16:47 PM

+1
+2
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2011, 12:30:21 PM

Yeah, it's fascinating, the bitcoin client automatically put the wallet.dat very well hidden somewhere in the computer without even telling it to you

And then we wonder why bitcoin is not widespread used?
Many (or most) programs put their data in that area. The idea is that when you do backups you are supposed to backup the whole AppData folder. That way you get all the various data at once and don't have to go searching through places all over the system to get it. It doesn't help much if you don't realize that though.

Another program that may help you find it is TestDisk. But you do need to stop using the disk right away as every disk write potentially is overwriting the sector it could be lingering in.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: