Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 06:18:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: USD You Would pay for 1 GH/s Right Now  (Read 9594 times)
LGT06 (OP)

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 05:24:14 PM
Last edit: July 03, 2013, 07:39:29 PM by LGT06

What price per GH/s is worth it to purchase right now?

With this calculator http://www.alloscomp.com/bitcoin/calculator using a BTC price of 75 USD and current difficulty one GH/s will mine $53 in a month. How should one project out after that to account for the rise in difficulty? Just half the dollar amount to account for a doubling of diff every month?

$50 month 1, $25 month 2, $12 month 3, $6 month 4, $3 month 5, $1 month 6 ?

Is 1 GH/s only worth about 100 USD right now, or is my admittedly very crude estimation too pessimistic?
FanDjangoBTC

Activity: 46

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 08:12:37 PM

Exchange rate is trending down too... 
Leon D

Activity: 50

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 11:04:40 PM

If you have it in hand, I'll give you $75
forevernoob

Activity: 687
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 11:06:36 PM

If I would pay 500$ for a 5GH/s, you can guess what I would pay for 1 GH/s.  Tongue

Nightowlace

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2013, 01:16:46 AM

If I would pay 500$ for a 5GH/s, you can guess what I would pay for 1 GH/s.  Tongue

#fail

Mining game is over. The people who won were Avalon Batch 1-2. The people who are enjoying some success are those who are receiving BFLs now. The ones who ordered 2012 BFL's and Avalon batch 3 will see some profit. Anyone ordering mining equipment now is throwing money down the toilette.

You want to make money with bitcoin, find a way to be part of the economy of bitcoin. Make, create, sell, service etc. for bitcoin.

The only way a miner getting in the game now will make a return on their investment would be if Bitcoin saw a very solid steady rise in price. That's not happening as you can see anytime soon.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 07:29:34 AM

buy btc directly, they are cheap now
andrewsg

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 10:05:13 AM

agree with $75.

Bitcoin can be bad for your chi. Improve yours and mine by sending BTC to: 1N1zRYSwKQbZ8Kx1bKvTskrjGMNynVFEr1
forevernoob

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 12:17:43 PM

#fail

Mining game is over. The people who won were Avalon Batch 1-2. The people who are enjoying some success are those who are receiving BFLs now. The ones who ordered 2012 BFL's and Avalon batch 3 will see some profit. Anyone ordering mining equipment now is throwing money down the toilette.

You want to make money with bitcoin, find a way to be part of the economy of bitcoin. Make, create, sell, service etc. for bitcoin.

The only way a miner getting in the game now will make a return on their investment would be if Bitcoin saw a very solid steady rise in price. That's not happening as you can see anytime soon.

To my understanding the question was, how much would you pay for a miner with 1GH/s with INSTANT delivery.
Of course I wouldn't pay those amounts if delivery is in autumn.
But fact is you would get a small ROI if you got the miner today.

At least according to this list:
http://decentralizedhashing.com/bitcoin-mining-equipment-table/

LGT06 (OP)

Activity: 23

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 02:34:31 PM

Yeah, that was the intent of my question. If you could in theory buy some mining hardware today and have it delivered in one week or less, what would 1GH/s be worth right now.

It seems I wasn't too far off with my $100 figure, you would probably break even at the very least. $75 should ensure some profit.

Just goes to show I paid about 3x what I should have for a couple of USB Erputers. Oh well, live and learn. At least I didn't buy 10 or more.

Who knows, maybe difficulty won't keep skyrocketing if all the promised ASIC deliveries don't come to pass and/or the BTC price keeps dropping. BTC losing more value would obviously negatively impact ROI though. I tend to think people who do get ASIC devices will mine with them no matter what though, since they can't do anything else with them. So the difficulty skyrocketing is virtually guaranteed, only an impediment to ASIC devices being delivered can prevent it.
forevernoob

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 05:54:14 PM

The problem isn't the prices, the problem is the availability as I see it.

There is only two ASICs available with instant delivery. And those perform badly compared to what they cost.

But don't beat yourself up, the price of BTC can skyrocket. It can go either way.
It's an investment the way I see it.

But before I make any purchase, I always check if i can get something better for my money.

CKJ411

Activity: 25

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 08:34:55 AM

I wouldn't want to pay more than $75/GH/s. The way difficulty is increasing and will continue to as products ship and the market trending downwards pretty quickly as individuals cash out on ASICs for more widely accepted currencies, there is a lot of risk. You have to remember that at some oint mining is creating costs in another currency as utility providers at the very least aren't accepting BTC, so cashing out is almost a necessity at some point and the currency risk associated with any business is present.
HackneyB

Activity: 12

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 02:12:54 PM

This is exactly the question I've been asking myself, and tracking with calculations..

Someone on this forum mentioned that mining hardware is worth no more than $.30 per 1MH/s so in theory $300 per 1GH/s.  That's before electricity costs are factored in.  

However if you project difficulty into the future at about 10-15% increase every 2016 blocks, and then figure out how much you can mine, it is eye opening how few bitcoins you can actually mine in the lifetime of this hypothetical 1GH/s ASIC device.  Today you can mine something like 0.14 BTC per week, per 1GH/s, but 6 months later its 0.002 or 0.001 per week and it no longer matters if you keep mining or not, you're basically going to turn off the device and throw it away.  

And that's before you look at the market price of BTC .....

Edit: based on the difficulty calculations, a 1GH/s device will mine 1.6 BTC in 52 weeks starting from today, if difficulty increase trend continues at the average rate it was recently.  That's $160 if BTC price is $100 on average, $80 if BTC price is $50 on average.  (!)
jmaccoin

Activity: 43

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 02:26:45 PM

The difficulty will start to level off by the end of the year. I imagine pre-orders are down quite a bit since the exchange rate has been dropping.

Even so, you would have to get your Jupiter pretty early in September for it to be cheaper than to just buy bitcoins... And since if you order now you won't get it till October... Hard times for hardware producers.

Once you can order an ASIC from several different manufacturers, and have them arrive in a reasonable timeframe the market will stabilize. Profits will be less, but there will still be profits to efficient mining operations.
HackneyB

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 02:31:50 PM

I get the sense that majority of people getting in now did so because of media coverage and they don't fully realize how much money can be made.  For every winner there have to be some loosers right?  The money has to come from somewhere. 
jmaccoin

Activity: 43

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 03:38:38 PM

I don't think you necessarily need losers for the Ponzi scheme type aspect to work.

I buy at $10, sell to you at $100, made 10x
You sell to somebody for $1000, you made 10x

In a typical Ponzi scheme the people at the bottom lose everything, but with bitcoins there will always be another layer at the bottom of the pyramid, so as long as they keep their use, everybody continues to win.

Bit of a sophomoric account I am sure, but it is how I understand it.
Tamis

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 06:36:04 PM

Who knows, maybe difficulty won't keep skyrocketing if all the promised ASIC deliveries don't come to pass and/or the BTC price keeps dropping. BTC losing more value would obviously negatively impact ROI though. I tend to think people who do get ASIC devices will mine with them no matter what though, since they can't do anything else with them. So the difficulty skyrocketing is virtually guaranteed, only an impediment to ASIC devices being delivered can prevent it.

You dreamer ! Today is an all time high regarding Network total !   237.480 Thash/s as I write this.

Difficulty is going to explode any time soon.

Nightowlace said it very well : "Mining game is over. The people who won were Avalon Batch 1-2. The people who are enjoying some success are those who are receiving BFLs now. The ones who ordered 2012 BFL's and Avalon batch 3 will see some profit. Anyone ordering mining equipment now is throwing money down the toilette. "

DO NOT INVEST IN MINING ! You are sure to loose money, the game is indeed over...
forevernoob

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 07:47:47 PM

LOL, you guys are crazy.

If mining isn't profitable, how come people still are mining with GPU's?

Investing is always risky, but if you wise up a little and run the numbers there is always a way to make profit.

Jazkal

Activity: 319
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 09:57:49 PM

DO NOT INVEST IN MINING ! You are sure to loose money, the game is indeed over...
Reminds me of what everyone was saying back in 2011.
HackneyB

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 11:14:54 PM

If mining isn't profitable, how come people still are mining with GPU's?

Some people are still mining with CPUs, I'm sure. 

Reasons (all a risk) for mining with GPUs, I assume:
1. Even if paying for electricity, you are still today making more than electricity costs of running GPUs.  This does not account for hardware costs.  I don't know where the tipping point is but I think somewhere with BTC dipping below $50, at current difficulty. 
2. Not everyone pays for their electricty. 
3. You can be losing money today, but believe that BTC will some day be worth $100, $1000 or even $10000. 
4. If you can't do math but everyone's hyping about it like they are, you can believe it is all profitable. 
5. It is still possible (just not probable) that difficulty will go down.  And GPU mining will be rejuvenated again. 

etc etc
Noogsy

Activity: 190
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 08:53:28 AM

Another 2 cents :
Around 50$

---
Cheers
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print