Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:09:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need funds to buy BTC? Check your Ripple account!  (Read 1759 times)
Stephen Gornick (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 07:08:43 PM
Last edit: July 03, 2013, 07:39:08 PM by Stephen Gornick

Many people are sitting on XRP funds they received for free, without realizing that these funds can today be used to buy bitcoins.

These XRPs sitting in your Ripple account (wallet) can easily be sent to a Ripple gateway (like BITSTAMP) and from there used to buy bitcoins.  Or now with Ripple's "Bitcoin Bridge" it is even simpler to cash out your XRPs into bitcoin!
 - http://gigaom.com/2013/07/02/ripple-allows-payments-to-any-bitcoin-address-straight-from-its-client
 - https://ripple.com/blog/bitcoin-bridge-lets-ripple-users-make-payments-to-bitcoin-accounts

For many of us it should be like reaching into the back of the couch and finding a $20 (the value, roughly, of 1,000 XRP)!   A few who were earlier in the Ripple freebie giveaways got many, many thousands of XRPs -- which are now worth many bitcoins!

And if you don't yet have any XRPs, ... Ripple has more giveaways every so often. SnapSwap.us is a Ripple gateway that will give out 1,000 XRP for anyone who links their bank account.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Ares

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 07:37:53 PM

I can also use Litecoins to buy Bitcoins.

Go back to Altcoins with your closed-source, pre-mined, centralized XRP.

I'm so sick of you shills, I thought the mods already handled this.

PS. Spare me the "they complement eachother!" bs. Even the devs admitted that down the road they will compete.
Stephen Gornick (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 07:42:15 PM

Heh, ...

I'm suggesting to those who already have XRPs and have no immediate plans to use them that they can cash out of those XRPs to buy bitcoins.  I'm not sure how that can be interpreted as "shilling" for Ripple.

This introduces one way to take advantage of a declining BTC/USD exchange rate by those who otherwise have no funds at-the-ready to buy bitcoins today.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Ares

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 07:48:18 PM

Heh, ...

I'm suggesting to those who got XRPs and have no plans to use them that they can cash out of those XRPs to buy bitcoins.  I'm not sure how that can be interpreted as "shilling" for Ripple.

This introduces one way to take advantage of a declining BTC/USD exchange rate by those who otherwise have no funds at-the-ready to buy bitcoins today.

So should everyone who ever received a free altcoin from any of the hundred different ones make a thread reminding us that we can use them to get Bitcoins?

Stop playing dumb. You shamelessly posted on the Bitcoin Discussion forum, knowing it belongs in altcoin as the mods have said, because you know it will get more exposure, and as a result, so will centralized, closed source, red flag Ripple.

Ripple in a nutshell:

Their plan in regard of bitcoin could be formulated as (in)famous: "Embrace, Extend, Extinguish" imo.
Stephen Gornick (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 08:01:08 PM

You shamelessly posted on the Bitcoin Discussion forum, knowing it belongs in altcoin as the mods have said, because you know it will get more exposure, and as a result, so will centralized, closed source, red flag Ripple.

If you look at my post history, ... I've probably mentioned Ripple less than a dozen times ever and I've never before created a thread which mentioned them.

I do, however, want to help people use what's available to them to help their position.   In this particular instance, this involves converting a freebie this post's reader might have long since forgotten about into something of value.

If there was anything shameless, then it was me knowing that if hundreds of bitcoins were purchased as a result of this post, that would help support the Bitcoin exchange rate as a result -- and that is something that would benefit me personally.

I can see your point though.  I too fight away the encroachment of altcoin discussion in threads that have nothing to do with altcoins.  For instance, just yesterday I had posted this reply:
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=248828.msg2642791#msg2642791

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 01:44:57 AM

Stop playing dumb. You shamelessly posted on the Bitcoin Discussion forum, knowing it belongs in altcoin as the mods have said, because you know it will get more exposure, and as a result, so will centralized, closed source, red flag Ripple.

Dude, chill out or take some meds.  Stephen Gornick has been one of the most level-headed, honest, insightful, and informative posters on this forum for several years.  Read his post history before slandering him or assuming bad motivations.   He (debatable) made a mistake in choosing a subforum for a post, he did not kill your whole family and then drink their blood.

Learn to attack ideas and not people if someday you want us to appreciate your contributions to this forum as much as the ones he has made.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 01:56:19 AM

Obvious plug for ripple which belongs here. Reported.
luv2drnkbr

Activity: 793
Merit: 1016

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 02:12:15 AM

Obvious plug for ripple which belongs here. Reported.

needlessly abusing the report button... reported.

yes, ripple is a scam, but Stephen Gornick is obviously not a ripple shill, nor is this a thread which clearly belongs in altcoins.  he's just reminding people they can dump worthless scam xrp and get something valuable back.  a lot of dumb posts make it to the main forum, there's no reason this one is particularly bad or worth reporting.  and many people will find it helpful.

🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 02:15:23 AM

It's alt coin spam. What if I made a post saying "Need funds to buy BTC? Check your Worldcoin wallet!"

I do not think Stephen Gornick is a ripple shill or anything of that sort. It's just that this topic is pretty much as clear as alt coin threads go.
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 02:19:53 AM

needlessly abusing the report button... reported.

yes, ripple is a scam, but Stephen Gornick is obviously not a ripple shill, nor is this a thread which clearly belongs in altcoins.  he's just reminding people they can dump worthless scam xrp and get something valuable back.  a lot of dumb posts make it to the main forum, there's no reason this one is particularly bad or worth reporting.  and many people will find it helpful.
"bitcoin discussion": General discussion about the Bitcoin ecosystem that doesn't fit better elsewhere. News, the Bitcoin community, innovations, the general environment, etc. Discussion of specific Bitcoin-related services usually belongs in other sections.

Nope, doesn't fit here.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Coinseeker

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 04:18:47 AM

I'm a true Ripple fan and I actually think the OP was attempting an anti-ripple thread, by in a sense saying, "Hey, there's an easy way to cash out of XRP into BTC now, since we have no use for them."   That is of course, unless you enjoy getting screwed over in the currency exchange.  And from the looks of it, many of you do.

On a side note, with as much as you die hard bitcoiners BEG for people to accept Bitcoin, you'd think you'd be happy someone is providing additional access to it, given nearly every major business on the planet has snubbed you. 

Sigh...ideology.  The fastest way to create really dumb, smart people. Roll Eyes

If your ignore button isn't glowing, you're doing it wrong.
halfawake

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 07:55:22 AM

I'm a true Ripple fan and I actually think the OP was attempting an anti-ripple thread, by in a sense saying, "Hey, there's an easy way to cash out of XRP into BTC now, since we have no use for them."   That is of course, unless you enjoy getting screwed over in the currency exchange.  And from the looks of it, many of you do.

On a side note, with as much as you die hard bitcoiners BEG for people to accept Bitcoin, you'd think you'd be happy someone is providing additional access to it, given nearly every major business on the planet has snubbed you. 

Sigh...ideology.  The fastest way to create really dumb, smart people. Roll Eyes

I agree with Coinseeker here.  I tried Ripple, found it ridiculously confusing and am planning on cashing out my Ripples to bitcoins.  I am rather puzzled by the vehemence that Stephen Gornick  is receiving, he's not saying, hey, go use Ripple, he's saying, hey, here's an easy way to cash OUT of Ripple and thus use Bitcoin more.

BTC: 13kJEpqhkW5MnQhWLvum7N5v8LbTAhzeWj
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: