Bitcoin Forum
May 15, 2024, 07:28:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ultra paranoid about creating my paper wallet  (Read 1044 times)
thelongcoin (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 16

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 08:12:36 PM

For the sake of the argument, let's say I have reason to believe my Windows computer is compromised with trojans, keyloggers, screenshot capturers, etc.  Is there an way for me to create a secure paper wallet on that computer?  Unplug the internet cord during the creation?  But my coins are on Coinbase.  So how do I securely get my BTCs from Coinbase to paper wallet.  I know they have that option on the website, but I'd have to be connected to the internet to generate it.  I'm not familiar with LiveCDs and Linux so ...

Also, once I have my paper wallet secured, and in X years when BTC are worth Y, how do I redeem them from paper back into the system?
PurpleTentacle

Activity: 384
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 08:29:21 PM

I don't think there's a way to create an entirely secure paper wallet on a machine that has been connected to the internet even if it was only once. Unfortunately, I think that you'll have to use a linux live cd/usb. Here's a guide I found on reddit on how to do it, this is also interesting.

orymh

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2013, 08:29:50 PM

If you suspect your computer has been compromised, then even disconnecting from the Internet temporarily won't necessarily protect you. You really want to be on a completely clean system before you generate any private keys.

Transferring BTC from your Coinbase wallet to your paper wallet will just be a matter of sending coins to an address associated with your paper wallet. Without using or exposing your private key, you can verify that the coins have gotten where they were going by looking at the balance of that address on blockexplorer.com or blockchain.info.

When you want to spend those BTC someday, you'll probably end up importing the key you used for your paper wallet into local wallet software or an online wallet. As far as I know, that's the easiest way to go. Somebody who has more experience than I do with paper wallets may be able to correct me here. Smiley

asically

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 08:43:30 PM

Blockchain.info will send a backup of your wallet to your emai......wait, Why not use another pc or cell for the transfer?

If you're gonna use Windows with bitcoin, plz download VirtualBox from Oracle or use whatever sandbox.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: