Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 09:25:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fast payment  (Read 746 times)
urian (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 08:19:32 PM

Hello,
I'm thinking about the following issue:
Paying cash at a POS should take only a few seconds. 
On the other hand, a Bitcoin transaction needs approximately 10 minutes to be confirmed.
To use Bitcoin in this situation, the confirmation of a  transactions should be just as fast.
Of course, this can not be done by the mining process.
But maybe some kind of a trusted confirmation service could help.

Are there any ideas?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 08:30:38 PM

Hello,
I'm thinking about the following issue:
Paying cash at a POS should take only a few seconds.  
On the other hand, a Bitcoin transaction needs approximately 10 minutes to be confirmed.
To use Bitcoin in this situation, the confirmation of a  transactions should be just as fast.
Of course, this can not be done by the mining process.
But maybe some kind of a trusted confirmation service could help.

Are there any ideas?

Bitcoin transactions only take a few seconds.  Confirmations take 10 minutes (on average).  Credit card payments aren't confirmed until 30 days and one could look at that as just 1 confirm as they can still be reversed up to 180 days later.

Do credit cards have a 0% fraud rate? No.
Do merchants still use CC despite a non-zero fraud rate? Yes.
Will 0 confirm in person Bitcoin transaction have a 0% fraud rate? No.
Is it difficult to execute a double spend in person against a well connected mechant? Yes.

If fraud from 0-confirm in person transaction is lower than the fraud losses for CC transactions is that a problem? .....  The million Bitcoin question Wink

Bitcoin has less of a competitive advantage for in person transactions and I think that area will be developed much later.  Ecommerce, gambling, virtual goods, and international fund transfers are the low hanging fruit.  Those areas will be developed more aggressively than in person POS systems as that is where Bitcoin provides a significantly superior system.   For many areas 0-confirm transactions are likely viable.  A vending machine for example can be fooled by counterfeit money or stolen credit cards far easier than a merchant however we haven't seen vending machine companies go out of business.  Who steals credit cards or counterfeits $1 bills to get free sodas?  Who will attempt an in person double spend to get a free soda?

If you absolutely feel that tx must be confirmed (zero fraud) you are limited to centralized solutions but solutions are possible. Some ideas to get you thinking:
a) customer prepays.  Customer on way into grocery store deposits Bitcoins.  By the time he checks out funds are confirmed.  Payment at POS is actually Merchant -> Customer being the balance between the deposit and amount purchased.

b) backup payment method.  Customer pays with BTC but is required to swipe a CC as well (which authorizes but not collects payment).  If Bitcoin transaction is reversed customer agrees to be charged.  Once merchant confirms payment the CC authorization is released without payment.

c) eWallet provider.  Yes it is centralized.  Say coinbase gets physical merchants to accept payments from coinbase accounts.  The merchant doesn't need to trust you, they just need to trust coinbase.

d) multi-sig.  A bitcoin "bank" of sorts has 1 of the 2 keys required to sign transactions.  The bank will sign anything you sign as long as it isn't a double spend.  If the merchant trusts the bank to not allow double spends they can accept 0 confirm without risk.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2013, 08:36:03 PM

It's hard to double-spend against a transaction with a high mining fee, since when picking between two identical transactions, miners will pick one with the higher fee (I think this exploit was used against SatoshiDice at one point).

That said, from what I've heard, Gavin and co. are working on changing the transaction process from "You sign, You transmit" to "You Sign, You send to receiver, Receiver verifies, Receiver transmits/rejects." Using this setup, receivers can request a specific mining fee before accepting your transaction, and merchants in particularly fraud exposed businesses who can't afford to wait 10 minutes for a block can demand higher transaction fees on their sales.
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 08:54:02 PM

I believe off-chain transactions will play a role. I started a thread about it:

Off-chain Transactions

We might use what I call Bitcoin Clearing Houses (BCH)...

I've said off-chain transactions should exist with Bitcoin. Primarily I had scalability in mind, but also think of the progression of money. People once traded physical gold. People then traded claim checks for the gold instead since that was more effective (easier to carry, not subject to shaving, etc.). Today we use credit cards, PayPal and other methods to trade digital claims on paper dollars since that's even more effective than trading the paper.

Why couldn't the same happen with Bitcoin? Why can't people trade digital claims on bitcoins instead of the actual bitcoins?

Using a BCH has obvious advantages. Transfer is instant, no waiting for confirmations. Transfer is free or very low cost (profit might come from ads or features). Finally, of course, is scalability is helped greatly. (people could also send to email addresses eschewing wallet addresses)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: