Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:18:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoins missing after restoring Electrum from seed.  (Read 351 times)
bitcoin1785 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 08:47:55 AM

Hi everyone,

I had a large amount of bitcoins in my electrum wallet, all saved up over the last couple of years. The electrum wallet was on tails and a few days ago when i tried to move some of my funds to another wallet it wouldn't work. I did some research and found that other people were encountering the same issue, the remedy for which was to update to the latest electrum version. I tried to do this on tails but it didn't work so I decided to update my tails as a whole. When I had done this I opened the wallet from the seed but I couldn't get it to connect, so I tried just installing electrum on my windows computer. After typing in the seed again it took me a while to connect. When it finally connected to the network my balance was only a couple percent what it was previously. I'm not great with computers and I don't know what to do but i'm devastated as I had a couple of years savings in there. Can anybody help me? Thanks so much.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
arubi

Activity: 31
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 09:25:36 AM

Hi everyone,

I had a large amount of bitcoins in my electrum wallet, all saved up over the last couple of years. The electrum wallet was on tails and a few days ago when i tried to move some of my funds to another wallet it wouldn't work. I did some research and found that other people were encountering the same issue, the remedy for which was to update to the latest electrum version. I tried to do this on tails but it didn't work so I decided to update my tails as a whole. When I had done this I opened the wallet from the seed but I couldn't get it to connect, so I tried just installing electrum on my windows computer. After typing in the seed again it took me a while to connect. When it finally connected to the network my balance was only a couple percent what it was previously. I'm not great with computers and I don't know what to do but i'm devastated as I had a couple of years savings in there. Can anybody help me? Thanks so much.

There's not a lot in your post to really tell what might have happened.  Lots of things just "didn't work" and it's unclear what might have caused them to fail initially.
Eventually you typed your seed in a system which sounds insecure (an online windows machine?), and now the funds are gone.  It sounds like the seed was entered correctly since you are seeing some of the balance.  Does electrum show any transactions going out to an external address you don't recognize?
Maybe the very first attempt at sending from the wallet did in fact work?

* maybe best to move this topic to the technical support subforum?
bitcoin1785 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 10:40:07 AM

I had written out a long reply but while I was finishing the balance started adding back up until everything was square. Must have been a sync problem. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out!
arubi

Activity: 31
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 10:45:13 AM

Good to hear.  Congrats
lukaexpl

Activity: 148
Merit: 106

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 12:11:28 PM

I had written out a long reply but while I was finishing the balance started adding back up until everything was square. Must have been a sync problem. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out!

I understand your fear. Glad that everything worked out.

Since you are familiar with Tails what you could do is track the addresses that you own without the need to type in the seed on a Windows computer.

For example:
- running off of https://bitkey.io/ live cd lets you run a page like https://iancoleman.io/bip39/ from a USB stick (that you can unplug) in a Chromium browser. From that offline computer you can display public addresses connected to your seed and scan them with any mobile device.

That way there is no risk to exposing your seed and no BTC-gone-induced heart attacks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: