Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 07:06:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BitCoin is NOT a Currency  (Read 1152 times)
BitCoinNewGuy (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

'That Guy'

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 11:15:34 PM

BitCoin is NOT a currency. Any business is rolling the dice accepting BitCoin with how volatile the price is. With how rapid the price swings (mostly down), no logical business would/should accept BitCoin. No different than gambling. To my knowledge my dollar last week is still a dollar today, not true with BitCoin, you would have taken a hefty loss this week only!
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2013, 12:47:07 AM

BitCoin is NOT a currency. Any business is rolling the dice accepting BitCoin with how volatile the price is. With how rapid the price swings (mostly down), no logical business would/should accept BitCoin. No different than gambling. To my knowledge my dollar last week is still a dollar today, not true with BitCoin, you would have taken a hefty loss this week only!

To my knowledge, my bitcoin last week is still a bitcoin today, so GTFO.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 12:54:04 AM

Quote from: Wikipedia
A much more general use of the word currency is anything that is used in any circumstances, as a medium of exchange. In this use, "currency" is a synonym for the concept of money.

Bitcoin's used as a medium of exchange; it is both currency and money.

Unless you're saying Wikipedia is wrong.  So let's try this again:

Quote from: Dictionary.com
cur·ren·cy
[kur-uhn-see, kuhr-]
noun, plural cur·ren·cies.
something that is used as a medium of exchange; money.

Damn, that's strike two.  You should really go chase these guys and tell them their definitions are wrong, since, y'know, Bitcoin's not a currency, despite having the qualities which would define it as one.

kopipe

Activity: 246
Merit: 124

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 12:55:41 AM

If Bitcoin is for fools why did you make yet another topic about it?

コピペ copypaste
btceic

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2013, 01:11:24 AM

Your reasoning that it is not a currency is because it is volatile?
Have you seen the Yen recently? Or how about the NZD?

May 23rd: 103.73
June 13th: 93.80
Today: 100.00

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
anastis

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 01:20:40 AM

Actually, if you put it simply, BTC is more like stocks than money. The price fluctuates and your assets may lose value. It's price is driven by demand, like stocks.

Only, there isn't a company behind it...

And you can buy stuff. So it kinda reminds of money. What if you had Apple stocks, and you could buy a Mac with 0.5 of your MacCoins? Wouldn't that be money?

Oh, and your dollar isn't really a dollar... sure, the note/coin is the same, but it won't buy you the same amount of oil/gas/eggs/Euros this week and the next.

So, I guess dollars (and money in general) are kinda like stocks... right? Isn't that why you'd invest in a foreign currency?

Anyway, I don't really get the whole economy stuff, but I'm more interested in buying BTC than FaceBook stocks.

Hope my little brainstorming helps.
dnmalin

Activity: 2

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 03:53:21 AM

The dollar isn't a currency either by your logic.

http://goldsilverworlds.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/US_dollar_purchasing_power_vs_gold_1774-2012.gif
Trillium

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 04:07:46 AM

Sorry I can't hear you over the white noise and the echos from the past when this was already discussed countless times all over the web...

BTC:1AaaAAAAaAAE2L1PXM1x9VDNqvcrfa9He6
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 04:09:48 AM

Bitcoin is a commodity. hehe.

truelitecoin

Activity: 41

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2013, 05:48:18 AM

Bitcoin is both a currency and a payment processing system, as are all other Cryptocurrencies based on Bitcoin such as Litecoin.
Trillium

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 06:15:19 AM

Bitcoins are strings of 0's and 1's that watery bags of meat seem to think are worth something.

BTC:1AaaAAAAaAAE2L1PXM1x9VDNqvcrfa9He6
fritzthecat

Activity: 51

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 06:16:16 AM

It depends from what viewpoint you are looking at it.
Zoznoz

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 08:37:05 AM

I agree with this somewhat but if you run a firm that derives most of its revenue from fees then it should be relatively easy to adjust the fees as the price fluctuates. If I operated a bitcoin orientated business and dealt only with BTC then I would definitely be taking more notice of the value in USD or the value in USD after fees for withdrawing etc. Rather than the value in BTC alone, as it is not a very recognised currency and you can't use it to pay for important things like food, petrol or utilities. If these firms are smart then they would have already planned or have experience in how to deal with high price volatility.
naphto

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 08:55:54 AM

One dollar has still the same approximate value. With 1.30 usd you could buy 1 euro.
But between now and 3 months earlier, the value of bitcoins changed a lot
gangz

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 02:05:45 PM

They didn't start being the equivalent of 80 USD, not mostly down at all Huh.
anastis

Activity: 8

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 02:09:18 PM

One dollar has still the same approximate value. With 1.30 usd you could buy 1 euro.
But between now and 3 months earlier, the value of bitcoins changed a lot

That's the result of the government controlling the liquidity though.

Assume the value of crude oil sky-rockets, and you want to buy it.
When there are not enough bitcoins to match the demand, it's value goes up, because everyone wants more bitcoins so that they won't get cold.
When there are not enough dollars to match the demand, the government doesn't want you to get cold, so it generates more dollars. To you, your dollars seem stable, but in reality they are devalued a little.
truelitecoin

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2013, 06:04:12 PM

Bitcoins are strings of 0's and 1's that watery bags of meat seem to think are worth something.

Anything represented digitally can be a string of 0's and 1's. Those 0's and 1's are part of how we are communicating at this moment!
cowanjeffrey93

Activity: 28

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 06:07:32 PM

It is being used as a currency for years.
yvv
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2013, 06:11:24 PM

And what can you do with your bitcoin?

islandkarate

Activity: 1

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 08:07:07 PM

And what can you do with your bitcoin?

spend it, convert to USD, trade it, etc.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: