Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:29:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Portugal on the Brink  (Read 4342 times)
CurbsideProphet (OP)

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 12:09:42 AM

Portugal's financial markets nosedived today amid fears that repayments on its £64billion bailout could soon become unsustainable as the government looked set to collapse following a spat over the country's austerity programme.

If Portugal doesn't abide by the austerity program, its bailout creditors could halt the disbursement of funds, potentially leaving it unable to pay what it owes.

That development 'could trigger a sovereign default and potential removal from the eurozone, with contagion spreading across to Greece, a country that is currently struggling to secure its next tranche of aid money,' Ishaq Siddiqi of ETX Capital said today.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2354671/Portugal-brink-collapse-sparking-fears-country-able-meet-terms-64BILLION-bailout.html#ixzz2XzYmw6D2

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Behemot

Activity: 152
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2013, 12:41:36 AM

Cool, I could use another BTC price skyrocket Cheesy

BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 01:25:47 AM

Bail-in incoming? Portugal bump?

I'm game.  Cool
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2013, 01:27:54 AM

Bail-in incoming? Portugal bump?

I'm game.  Cool

whoooo wants to purchase IEV?
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 02:38:29 AM

Is Bitcoin popular, or easily accessible in Portugal???

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
prophetx
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010

he who has the gold makes the rules

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2013, 02:54:00 AM

portugal is part of the EU.  all one need to do is a sepa deposit to bitstamp
BitChick
Legendary

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 03:19:02 AM

portugal is part of the EU.  all one need to do is a sepa deposit to bitstamp

Hopefully they decide Bitcoin is a good option for their problems then!

pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 11:00:23 AM
Last edit: July 04, 2013, 11:54:21 AM by pedrog

It is not!

You hardly find articles about bitcoin on mainstream media, on one nation-wide newspaper I've counted 6, and it is the "intellectual" one...

worldinacoin

Activity: 756

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 11:12:32 AM

I doubt that they have the political will to implement austerity measures.   I guess another crisis is coming about and Bitcoin to the rescue
ingrownpocket
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 11:17:59 AM

It is not!

You hardly find articles about bitcoin on mainstream media, on one mation-wide newspaper I've counted 6, and it is the "intellectual" one...
Bitcoins are quite easy to buy in Portugal.
I've never seen Bitcoin mentioned on TV national news, only on newspapers.
pedrog
Legendary

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 11:56:56 AM

It is not!

You hardly find articles about bitcoin on mainstream media, on one mation-wide newspaper I've counted 6, and it is the "intellectual" one...
Bitcoins are quite easy to buy in Portugal.
I've never seen Bitcoin mentioned on TV national news, only on newspapers.

I was talking about the popularity.

Yes, pretty easy to buy.

johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 01:42:30 PM

To be honest, I don't really understand the whole EURO thing

Because money is printed out of nothing, how could Portugal give up this right to ECB?

For a normal citizen, he might not have any choice but obey the government rules, but for a government of the country, how could they give up this biggest right of the country to someone else?

I think none of the government officials understand how money creation works

pedrog
Legendary

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 01:58:46 PM

Because money is printed out of nothing, how could Portugal give up this right to ECB?

For a normal citizen, he might not have any choice but obey the government rules, but for a government of the country, how could they give up this biggest right of the country to someone else?

I'm a big proponent of EURO, it's the first attempt of a Level 1 civilization currency, well, now we have bitcoin.

But people need to start thinking beyond the borders of their own countries if we are going to thrive as a species, patriotism means nothing, it's just imaginary borders. More and more we need to have a global plan for free flow of people and goods, and to achieve great things that no one nation can achieve alone.

meanig

Activity: 531
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 02:04:42 PM

Because when times were good it meant they could get access to money at lower rates then they ever could have if they stayed out of the Euro.

We've gone past the point of silly with the Euro now. It's no longer of any benefit to 90% of its users and for the people of Greece and Cyprus it's almost unbearable. The latest demands of the IMF/EU/ECB on Greece are to close hospitals in order to get its deficit down  Shocked

I always thought Greece would be the first place to have a coup but maybe now it will be Portugal.
asically

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 02:18:53 PM

Portugal's junior party are now negotiating terms with senior partner to smooth things over.

Expect some manner of fear-factor from people here trying to profit from the uninformed.

Kaiji

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

Hoist the Colours

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 02:59:25 PM

I never understood how the last bitcoin bubble was caused by the Cyprus crisis. Is it known fact or just an assumption? With the blocking of withdrawals in the banks in Cyprus how were they able to put money into bitcoin exchanges in the first place? Or were Cypriots more tech savvy than other countries and saving their wealth in bitcoins just an easy step?
BitChick
Legendary

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 03:10:00 PM

I never understood how the last bitcoin bubble was caused by the Cyprus crisis. Is it known fact or just an assumption? With the blocking of withdrawals in the banks in Cyprus how were they able to put money into bitcoin exchanges in the first place? Or were Cypriots more tech savvy than other countries and saving their wealth in bitcoins just an easy step?

Maybe they had cash under their mattresses and did not want to bring it the bank?  I don't know but news like this in Portugal certainly cannot hurt BTC.  Hopefully it sparks a little fire in them.

asically

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 04:00:27 PM

I never understood how the last bitcoin bubble was caused by the Cyprus crisis...................

It wasn't.
Cyprus came after we all learnt there was a REAL asic in the wild from avalon, sent to a seinor member here.

Prior to that, BFL was jerking us around.
BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 04:07:42 PM

The cyprus-news-induced portion of the bubble did not come from Cypriots (for the most part.) There were indeed some cypriot holders of bitcoins, and some Cypriots started investing in bitcoins. One exchange even had a special discount rate for Cypriots. But there was no "bitcoin boom" in Cyprus like we may have hoped. The vast majority of the funds responsible for the "cyprus-news-induced" portion of the bubble came from others in Europe (either scared that the same would happen to them, or speculating that others would buy on this fear) and elsewhere in the world.

Keep in mind that even with a $266 to, say, $80 pop, after buying at $266, you still have a better (albeit negative) ROI than a Cypriot business with $800,000 operating capital that had $700,000 taken off for the bail-in. So people criticizing BTC for its volatility may not quite realize the true risk of a bail-in. In the end, holding cash is superior to both in the short-term; that's undeniable. But holding BTC means that in many cases, you can pay some invoices and bills online instantly, so it's more acceptable for operating cpaital. There are pros and cons. Most people simply aren't interested in the volatility. But soon, they will learn Grin

Just remember all the people saying "Oh, that would never happen here..." Those are the people you get to laugh at when their livelihoods are ruined and their families are living on the street, and their 16 year old daughters are selling their bodies for 5 euros on an Athens street corner.
Inedible

Activity: 700

What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 04:09:05 PM

I'm of the same way of thinking.

I can't see that Cypriots rushed to Bitcoin as their solution. Someone already feeling cornered isn't going to take on additional risk with a cryptocurrency that they've never heard of or likely don't understand.

Even if they were to come across this 'solution' I can't see them keeping money in it due to the massive fluctuations in value. They would sell their Bitcoins as soon as possible either in a different currency or in a country where they could open another bank account and deposit their Euro. Not sure how easy it is to open an account in the rest of the Eurozone but in the UK it requires a great proof of address and photo ID.

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: