Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 08:49:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Optimizing cgminer for two Sapphire 7970 OC With Boost.  (Read 1250 times)
grimreaper1014 (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 10:17:35 AM

Hi guys,

I have a question for you more advanced miners. I have two of these Sapphire 7970 OC With Boost. I was having some issues with them getting really hot when mining. However, I think I fixed the problem. They were idling at 45c. I made some changes to my case fans and changed the direction my Swiftech H220 AIO water cooler was blowing. That brought them down to about 30c at idle. I think I am ready to mine now without the worry of heat issues. I am trying to optimize cgminer for my cards. At stock they with Boost mode activated they run 1000Mhz Core and 1425Mhz Memory. When I fire up cgminer with the default settings I am only getting about 550Kh/s on each card. I see using a properly configured config you can get them up higher. If I find a good config file online can I just edit it and put in my mining pool info and change the speed of the cards to match my speeds? Will that get me any kind of speed boost or will I actually need to raise the speed the core is running at? If so should I do that in a program like MSI Afterburner before attempting to run cgminer or can overclocks be applied within cgminer? After I edit the config file and click save will it automatically be loaded in cgminer when I click on my .bat file? Thanks for your help guys. I greatly appreciate it.

Regards,
Rocky
grimreaper1014 (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 12:47:34 PM

Can someone please help me with this?  Huh Huh Huh
zackclark70
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

ADT developer

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 12:52:27 PM

sorry for being lazy and not copying the content look here ( try the 7950 setings posted by me ) >http://www.altcointalk.co.uk/index.php/board,5.0.html

grimreaper1014 (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 02:24:07 PM

zackclark70 - When I clicked on the link you provided right about it I found this.

~ 700 KH/s | Radeon 5970:
"cgminer.exe --scrypt -o [URL ]-u [workername] -p [password] --intensity 18 --worksize 256 --shaders 3200 --thread-concurrency 8192 --gpu-fan 75"

~ 720 KH/s | Radeon 7970:
"cgminer.exe --scrypt -o [URL ]-u [workername] -p [password] -s 2 --expiry 1 --queue 0 --thread-concurrency 24576 -I 13 -w 256 -g 2"

Works for every srcypt coin, like PXC.

What I don't understand is I see some people using config files and other people using a bat file with commands I do not understand. I don't understand what the above .bat file is doing that would be so different from just using cgminer with the default settings. What I need is an already optimized config file that will work with two 7970's clocked at 1000Mhz core and 1425Mhz memory. Then I need to know if I can just copy and past the optimized config file right into my config file and add my mining credentials and start mining? Also, I see everyone says to create a .bat file but everyone tells me to put something different in that .bat file. That is another thing that is really confusing the heck out of me.

PS. I copied the above for the 7970 into my .bat file and I am only getting 35Kh/s. I don't understand this at all.
Trillium

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 04:25:39 PM

zackclark70 - When I clicked on the link you provided right about it I found this.

~ 700 KH/s | Radeon 5970:
"cgminer.exe --scrypt -o [URL ]-u [workername] -p [password] --intensity 18 --worksize 256 --shaders 3200 --thread-concurrency 8192 --gpu-fan 75"

~ 720 KH/s | Radeon 7970:
"cgminer.exe --scrypt -o [URL ]-u [workername] -p [password] -s 2 --expiry 1 --queue 0 --thread-concurrency 24576 -I 13 -w 256 -g 2"

Works for every srcypt coin, like PXC.

What I don't understand is I see some people using config files and other people using a bat file with commands I do not understand. I don't understand what the above .bat file is doing that would be so different from just using cgminer with the default settings. What I need is an already optimized config file that will work with two 7970's clocked at 1000Mhz core and 1425Mhz memory. Then I need to know if I can just copy and past the optimized config file right into my config file and add my mining credentials and start mining? Also, I see everyone says to create a .bat file but everyone tells me to put something different in that .bat file. That is another thing that is really confusing the heck out of me.

PS. I copied the above for the 7970 into my .bat file and I am only getting 35Kh/s. I don't understand this at all.

Choose to use the config file or the bat file, and stick with it. My understanding is that they can basically achieve all the same things. I personally use the config file because I run 4 different GPU's in my rig so it looks outrageous if I try to use batch files.

I'd suggest having a look at the readme file in the cgminer folder if you havent already.

You can observe the formatting of the config file for each arguement. You should not really just copy and paste another persons entire config file because it will likely not be compatible, it only takes a single wrong character, a missing space / dash / " etc to make the whole thing fail to load. It's much better to compare the two config files, find what is different, and then make changes specifically to the arguments in your config file.

Some say that you should not declare both thread concurrency AND shaders. Usually just do shaders.

and I am only getting 35Kh/s. I don't understand this at all.

Do you mean that you have a config file and now started to use batch file as well? Try removing the config file from the folder and running the batch file again.

BTC:1AaaAAAAaAAE2L1PXM1x9VDNqvcrfa9He6
grimreaper1014 (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 04:55:30 PM

In another thread I was told for bitcoin mining to use a intensity of 9 and for script based coins to use an intensity of 13. As for the batch file should I just do it like this? Items changed in bold.
cgminer.exe --scrypt -o [URL ]-u [workername] -p [password] --intensity 9 --worksize 256 --shaders 3200 --gpu-fan 75 (Removed thread concurrency)
Is there anything else I should put in the .bat file?

That could of possibly been it. I might of still had the config file in there when I tried to use the .bat file. I seam a complete config file somewhere online for dual 7970's like I have. However, the config file had the core and memory set different. If I wanted to use that config file would I need to overclock the card using MSI Afterburner first to the same speeds? Then, just put my mining information in the config file where it belongs?
Trillium

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 05:04:18 PM

You definitely don't want to take the word of just one thread without trying it for yourself. It only takes a few minutes to test some different intensity values and the difference for scrypt mining is substantial. For bitcoin and the other SHA-256 coins it is - in my experience - less important, but low values will still give you terrible MH/s.

I don't know where you got intensity 9 from, all my GPU's hashing SHA-256 run optimally at 5, the display device runs at 4 so I can use the PC.

I'd suggest you spend some time testing it out.

grimreaper1014 (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 05:17:09 PM

So I should use this in the .bat file cgminer.exe --scrypt -o [URL ]-u [workername] -p [password] --intensity 5 --worksize 256 --shaders 3200 --gpu-fan 75? Then, run the .bat file and see how things go? How do I set a different intensity for each device? Like what change would I make to the .bat file to have one card run at an intensity of 5 and the display device run at 4? Would it be like this?
cgminer.exe --scrypt -o [URL ]-u [workername] -p [password] --intensity 4,5 --worksize 256 --shaders 3200 --gpu-fan 75
Trillium

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 01:48:36 AM

Hold up I think I confused you with the intensities. In my experience bitcoin and the SHA-256 altcoins need low intensity (much less than 10, as I said mine are around 4 or 5) but with scrypt (litecoin and so on) you need to use much more than 10, probably up near 15. You need to test these yourself eg start at say 10 then do 11 then 12. Write yourself a table on a notepad comparing the performance at each step.

From the SCRYPT-README.TXT file in cgminer:

Just like in bitcoin mining, scrypt mining takes an intensity, however the
scale goes from 0 to 20 to mimic the "Aggression" used in mtrlt's reaper. The
reason this is crucial is that too high an intensity can actually be
disastrous with scrypt because it CAN run out of ram. High intensities
start writing over the same ram and it is highly dependent on the GPU, but they
can start actually DECREASING your hashrate, or even worse, start producing
garbage with HW errors skyrocketing. Note that if you do NOT specify an
intensity, cgminer uses dynamic mode which is designed to minimise the harm
to a running desktop and performance WILL be poor. The lower limit to intensity
with scrypt is usually 8 and cgminer will prevent it going too low.
SUMMARY: Setting this for reasonable hashrates is mandatory.

And also entirely relevant to your interests:

---
TUNING AN AMD RADEON 7970
Example tuning a 7970 for Scrypt mining:

On linux run this command:
export GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT=100
or on windows this:
setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
in the same console/bash/dos prompt/bat file/whatever you want to call it,
before running cgminer.

First, find the highest thread concurrency that you can start it at. They should
all start at 8192 but some will go up to 3 times that. Don't go too high on the
intensity while testing and don't change gpu threads. If you cannot go above
8192, don't fret as you can still get a high hashrate.

Delete any .bin files so you're starting from scratch and see what bins get
generated.

First try without any thread concurrency or even shaders, as cgminer will try to
find an optimal value
cgminer -I 13

If that starts mining, see what bin was generated, it is likely the largest
meaningful TC you can set.
Starting it on mine I get:
scrypt130302Tahitiglg2tc22392w64l8.bin

See tc22392 that's telling you what thread concurrency it was. It should start
without TC parameters, but you never know. So if it doesn't, start with
--thread-concurrency 8192 and add 2048 to it at a time till you find the highest
value it will start successfully at.

Then start overclocking the eyeballs off your memory, as 7970s are exquisitely
sensitive to memory speed and amazingly overclockable but please make sure it
keeps adequately cooled with --auto-fan! Do it while it's running from the GPU
menu. Go up by 25 at a time every 30 seconds or so until your GPU crashes. Then
reboot and start it 25 lower as a rough start. Mine runs stable at 1900 memory
without overvolting. Overvolting is the only thing that can actually damage your
GPU so I wouldn't recommend it at all.

Then once you find the maximum memory clock speed, you need to find the sweet
spot engine clock speed that matches it. It's a fine line where one more MHz
will make the hashrate drop by 20%. It's somewhere in the .57 - 0.6 ratio range.
Start your engine clock speed at half your memory clock speed and then increase
it by 5 at a time. The hashrate should climb a little each rise in engine speed
and then suddenly drop above a certain value. Decrease it by 1 then until you
find it climbs dramatically. If your engine clock speed cannot get that high
without crashing the GPU, you will have to use a lower memclock.

Then, and only then, bother trying to increase intensity further.

My final settings were:
--gpu-engine 1141  --gpu-memclock 1875 -I 20
for a hashrate of 745kH.

Note I did not bother setting a thread concurrency. Once you have the magic
endpoint, look at what tc was chosen by the bin file generated and then hard
code that in next time (eg --thread-concurrency 22392) as slight changes in
thread concurrency will happen every time if you don't specify one, and the tc
to clock ratios are critical!

Good luck, and if this doesn't work for you, well same old magic discussion
applies, I cannot debug every hardware combo out there.

Your numbers will be your numbers depending on your hardware combination and OS,
so don't expect to get exactly the same results!

If you decide to declare a value for thread concurrences (instead of just declaring shaders) but run into problems with really high values, you might find that for your card you require "setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100" that you'd normally have in your batch file, you can still use the config file if you add GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100 as a windows environment variable. Right click on my computer -> Properties -> Advanced system settings -> Environment variables -> In the "User variables for (username)" click New and then add GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT and set the value to 100   It might vary from OS to OS but generally you should be able to find it in advanced system settings.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: