Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:35:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: U.S. Postal Service Logging All Mail for Law Enforcement  (Read 1349 times)
Rarrikins (OP)

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 11:59:19 AM

From the New York Times, "U.S. Postal Service Logging All Mail for Law Enforcement":

Quote from: Ron Nixon
The Mail Isolation Control and Tracking program was created after the anthrax attacks in late 2001 that killed five people, including two postal workers. Highly secret, it seeped into public view last month when the F.B.I. cited it in its investigation of ricin-laced letters sent to President Obama and Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg. It enables the Postal Service to retrace the path of mail at the request of law enforcement. No one disputes that it is sweeping.

“In the past, mail covers were used when you had a reason to suspect someone of a crime,” said Mark D. Rasch, who started a computer crimes unit in the fraud section of the criminal division of the Justice Department and worked on several fraud cases using mail covers. “Now it seems to be, ‘Let’s record everyone’s mail so in the future we might go back and see who you were communicating with.’ Essentially you’ve added mail covers on millions of Americans.”

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 01:26:01 PM

From the New York Times, "U.S. Postal Service Logging All Mail for Law Enforcement":

The Mail Isolation Control and Tracking program was created after the anthrax attacks in late 2001 that killed five people, including two postal workers. Highly secret, it seeped into public view last month when the F.B.I. cited it in its investigation of ricin-laced letters sent to President Obama and Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg. It enables the Postal Service to retrace the path of mail at the request of law enforcement. No one disputes that it is sweeping.

“In the past, mail covers were used when you had a reason to suspect someone of a crime,” said Mark D. Rasch, who started a computer crimes unit in the fraud section of the criminal division of the Justice Department and worked on several fraud cases using mail covers. “Now it seems to be, ‘Let’s record everyone’s mail so in the future we might go back and see who you were communicating with.’ Essentially you’ve added mail covers on millions of Americans.”
I am having some trouble seeing the problem with this.  What is US Mail being used for anyway?  Less each year.  Although they are trying to stay alive by underpricing vs FE and UPS in package delivery.

So then, they are implementing tracking control - poorly - that FE and UPS had all along?
BitCoiner2012

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 01:33:37 PM

I am having some trouble seeing the problem with this.  What is US Mail being used for anyway?  Less each year.  Although they are trying to stay alive by underpricing vs FE and UPS in package delivery.

So then, they are implementing tracking control - poorly - that FE and UPS had all along?

Kidding? You are failing to see a problem here?

BTC Long.
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 02:45:02 PM

I am having some trouble seeing the problem with this.  What is US Mail being used for anyway?  Less each year.  Although they are trying to stay alive by underpricing vs FE and UPS in package delivery.

WTF?

Kidding? You are failing to see a problem here?
So FE and UPS are/already were equally objectionable?
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2013, 06:56:57 PM

Tracking mail for delivery and tracking mail regardless if it has tracking services, building a giant database, and handing it off to 3rd parties is different than signing up for a requested service. Information is already leaking out that the prism system is being used to collect information to sell to PRIVATE INDUSTRY to the highest bidder. In addition people don't realize how detailed of a profile of somone's life one can make with such little bits of information, and how easily that information can be used to hurt you regardless of the legality of your activities. 
BitCoiner2012

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 09:52:09 PM

Tracking mail for delivery and tracking mail regardless if it has tracking services, building a giant database, and handing it off to 3rd parties is different than signing up for a requested service. Information is already leaking out that the prism system is being used to collect information to sell to PRIVATE INDUSTRY to the highest bidder. In addition people don't realize how detailed of a profile of somone's life one can make with such little bits of information, and how easily that information can be used to hurt you regardless of the legality of your activities. 

Not to mention future incrimination...

BTC Long.
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 11:31:06 PM

Yeah, I see the differences and the potential for abuse.

That would mean that when we pay for certified mail service we are getting robbed.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 11:54:57 PM

Source?
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2013, 01:08:03 AM

Source?

Just like before this whole PRISM scandal "broke" in the mainstream press, anyone who bothered to look could have found this information. Perhaps you should go look for yourself instead of expecting people to spoon feed you information which you will immediately decry and deny its relevance because it wasn't on CNN.  I know the intelligence community loves to use its own mass media tools to expose itself and make its own job harder. Makes sense right? Go do your homework instead of asking some one else to do it for you. I don't give a shit if you believe me. This is laziness disguised as skepticism.
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 12:15:55 PM

Source?

Just like before this whole PRISM scandal "broke" in the mainstream press, anyone who bothered to look could have found this information. Perhaps you should go look for yourself instead of expecting people to spoon feed you information which you will immediately decry and deny its relevance because it wasn't on CNN.  I know the intelligence community loves to use its own mass media tools to expose itself and make its own job harder. Makes sense right? Go do your homework instead of asking some one else to do it for you. I don't give a shit if you believe me. This is laziness disguised as skepticism.
Information is already leaking out that the prism system is being used to collect information to sell to PRIVATE INDUSTRY to the highest bidder.

I lean in the direction of thinking you don't know what you are talking about.  First, PRISM, as well as various other government programs....say the FBI firearms database....relies on private contractors.  Government does not really DO much by itself.  Snowden was an employee of a private company, right?

But then, I do not know much either, and perhaps there is much more that is unknown than is certain about these programs.  In such a case there is no need to toss allegations about, but if it were done, each should be carefully examined.

AzureEngineer

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 08:50:18 PM

Source?

This sure was a alot of words to say "I don't have a reliable source."

My name was simply a play on "Blue Engineer" from Team Fortress. I am not affiliated with Microsoft or the Azure project.
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2013, 01:37:25 AM

Source?

Right because leaks are always verified by several reputable mainstream media sources immediately right? Oh wait reporters who publish those kind of stories die in fiery car wrecks, get poisoned with polonium, or just disappear. It is a fact that they use contractors to implement many of these systems. Do you really think they can be trusted to not only keep this data from leaking, but be trusted not to sell highly lucrative data to third parties? All you have to do is open your eyes to see the free for all. I am not going to string a bunch of bits of information together for you to take potshots at so that you can do that rather than exercise common sense and analyze the situation with your own ability for critical thought.
Bitware

Activity: 926
Merit: 1001

weaving spiders come not here

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 12:34:36 PM

Source?

Right because leaks are always verified by several reputable mainstream media sources immediately right? Oh wait reporters who publish those kind of stories die in fiery car wrecks, get poisoned with polonium, or just disappear. It is a fact that they use contractors to implement many of these systems. Do you really think they can be trusted to not only keep this data from leaking, but be trusted not to sell highly lucrative data to third parties? All you have to do is open your eyes to see the free for all. I am not going to string a bunch of bits of information together for you to take potshots at so that you can do that rather than exercise common sense and analyze the situation with your own ability for critical thought.

Stellar, Sir.

The Pirates of centuries ago who became mercenaries have turned into contractors and groups in public/private partnerships with States and Corporate behemoths.

More information for anyone interested: Confessions of an Economic Hit Man
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 10:25:02 PM

So they are recording all the junk mail they dump in my mailbox?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: