Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 11:50:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: electurm high cpu usage  (Read 251 times)
Neat (OP)

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 09:58:05 PM

Hello,

I'm using electrum on windows 10 , cpu usage after opening it is normal which is 0% but sometimes it go to %50 and make the client hangs.

Is that normal?

Thanks in advance.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 10:25:46 PM

Hello,

I'm using electrum on windows 10 , cpu usage after opening it is normal which is 0% but sometimes it go to %50 and make the client hangs.

Is that normal?

Thanks in advance.

When you computer is on normally, does it normally remain at a low percentage? Can you open task manager and click to view the graph of CPU usage without opening electrum and then straight after to chekc that the spikes aren't what are normally faced.

If they aren't it could be a another process trying to interfere with it such as Antivirus software or malware which could oth cause a system instability alongwith other programs that run inthe bakcround normally.

Also, what do you mean about it "Hanging"? it freezes - could you say specifically what you're doing when this happens?
Neat (OP)

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 11:43:21 PM

Hello,

Is that normal?

Thanks in advance.

When you computer is on normally, does it normally remain at a low percentage? Can you open task manager and click to view the graph of CPU usage without opening electrum and then straight after to chekc that the spikes aren't what are normally faced.

If they aren't it could be a another process trying to interfere with it such as Antivirus software or malware which could oth cause a system instability alongwith other programs that run inthe bakcround normally.

Also, what do you mean about it "Hanging"? it freezes - could you say specifically what you're doing when this happens?
My computer remain at a low percentage when electrum isn't opened.

I have just installed a fresh windows 10 on my pc so do you think It's a malware?  Roll Eyes

It freezes yes and the client won't respond. I don't do anything when this happen  Undecided

Thanks.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 01:10:48 AM

Hello,

Is that normal?

Thanks in advance.

I have just installed a fresh windows 10 on my pc so do you think It's a malware?  Roll Eyes

It freezes yes and the client won't respond. I don't do anything when this happen  Undecided

Thanks.

It could be a bad download of either the OS or Electrum or just an odd system lag.

The processing power is supposed to spike at random points but the software isn't supposed to not respond every time... (100% or higher is normally a worry, 50% is fine, sometimes it takes a bit extra as it has to send data to a server to get all of your transaction info and you balance).
What is the specification of your computer (the processor speed and memory)?
Thekool1s
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1218

Change is in your hands

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 09:42:46 AM

Just like jackg said what processor are you running? Also from where did you got your copy of windows? If it was pirated then there is a good chance that It came with a malware. Also from where did you get the electrum from?
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 03:03:12 PM

Just like jackg said what processor are you running? Also from where did you got your copy of windows? If it was pirated then there is a good chance that It came with a malware. Also from where did you get the electrum from?

Even with a Windows 10 official unpirated version, as Microsoft can force updates to it, there's always a back door to the system.
Also, try verifying the signature op and see if the same lag occurs both offline and in safe mode (if Windows 10 has an easily accessible safe mode).
Neat (OP)

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 07:11:39 PM

Hello,

Is that normal?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks.

It could be a bad download of either the OS or Electrum or just an odd system lag.

The processing power is supposed to spike at random points but the software isn't supposed to not respond every time... (100% or higher is normally a worry, 50% is fine, sometimes it takes a bit extra as it has to send data to a server to get all of your transaction info and you balance).
What is the specification of your computer (the processor speed and memory)?
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ 2.20 GHz

Ram: 8.00 GB
Neat (OP)

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 07:21:14 PM

It's an original copy which I got from microsoft website.

I got the electrum setup file from electrum website which is electrum.org
Thekool1s
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1218

Change is in your hands

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 11:48:35 AM

Well your processor is definitely on the weaker side, so the 50 percent bump is justified. Your ram doesn't has much of a impact when you launch a program so you are good imo.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 05:06:56 PM

Well your processor is definitely on the weaker side, so the 50 percent bump is justified. Your ram doesn't has much of a impact when you launch a program so you are good imo.

The processor is fast enough. It's worth noting that it is AMD though and I've always been under the interpretation that intel is faster when it comes to hashing algorithms so that might be a part of it (As checksums need to be done when connecting to servers to validate block heads).
Neat (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 04:07:30 PM

Thanks a lot  jackg & Thekool1s for your help really appreciated : )
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: