Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 01:52:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I suspect that my private key can be compromised  (Read 232 times)
bitn00b72 (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 11:21:48 PM

Hi, I suspect that my private key can be compromised and I wanna move my coins to a different address. My address was created in 2014 and never been touched since. I want to generate a new private key for cold storage. My coins weren't split to BTC and BCH and I want to keep that way. My question is if I generate new PK in https://www.bitaddress.org and move my coins to that address will they remain unsplit  Huh How I can check if my address contains unsplit  BTC and BCH or just BTC Huh
HeRetiK
Legendary

Activity: 2982
Merit: 2112

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 11:35:32 PM

Hi, I suspect that my private key can be compromised and I wanna move my coins to a different address. My address was created in 2014 and never been touched since. I want to generate a new private key for cold storage. My coins weren't split to BTC and BCH and I want to keep that way. My question is if I generate new PK in https://www.bitaddress.org and move my coins to that address will they remain unsplit  Huh How I can check if my address contains unsplit  BTC and BCH or just BTC Huh

1) You can't move BTC and BCH without splitting them, as you need to send both separately -- ie. the BTC need to be sent on the BTC network using a BTC wallet and the BCH need to be sent on the BCH network using a BCH wallet. You can send both to the same address as long as it's in the legacy, non-SegWit format. Using a legacy address (starting with "1") is of utmost importance in this case, as you can't recover BCH from a SegWit address (starting with "3").

2) For your BTC balance search for your address on blockchain.info. For your BCH balance search for the same address on blockdozer.com.
kahc

Activity: 350
Merit: 13

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 11:41:26 PM

Use Electrum for BTC and Electron Cash for BCH.
Both can be used as cold wallet, and both support offline signing.
clip123

Activity: 193
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 12:06:35 AM

I will tell you what I told the other guy.

This is very important to transfer your Bitcoins. If you are giving out seed then do not transfer Bitcoin within the same seed addresses and use new seed. People have been scammed and lost Bitcoins for giving out seeds so transferring to new address/new seed is only way to secure your Bitcoins and then you can safely claim Cash/Gold/Diamond using the old seed/private key. Hope this helps.

Always move your Bitcoin first. Also if you want, you can use n-of-m using electrum. for example you will need to have two keys sign the transaction of 3 to send bitcoin. You can read about it on electrum website.
litmus

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 12:27:13 AM

i just wonder why my mew address changed?is this normal?

I'll answer you because I happened to be here, but you don't really think asking about your online Eth wallet is relevant to this topic, do you? Your 'MEW" address - if you mean the wallet address, should not "change" - if it's different and you didn't create it, it's not your wallet - (but then you wouldn't be able to get into it, so who knows what you're talking about) - if you meant the URL to the site https://www.myetherwallet.com  - I just don't know what to say Smiley  - don't go there!
bitn00b72 (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 10:21:31 PM

Thank you guys for such a fast and comprehensive response. This community is great.

So this I think I should do please correct me if I'm wrong

Regarding BTC
1. Since I have my old keys in old Multibit Classic Wallet download legacy  Multibit Classic Wallet export PK to Electrum as shown
on this video https://youtu.be/LaijbTcxsv8
2. Generate cold storage PK for BTC in legacy format using bitaddress.org (of course offline) or in new segwit format using
Segwitaddress.org (is this site legit and reliable PK generator Huh?)
3. Transfer BTC from old address to new cold storage address in Electrum

Regarding BCH

4 .Same as point 1
5 . Generate cold storage PK for BTC in legacy format using bitaddress.org (of course offline)
6. Transfer BTC from old address to new cold storage address in Electron Cash

Thank You guys in advance for reply

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: