Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:15:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Optimal Hyper Threading Configuration  (Read 9384 times)
NewLibertyStandard (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 268

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2010, 01:32:23 PM

I get optimal performance when hyper threading is turned on and Bitcoin is limited to half the available cores. I get the same number of hashes per second when hyper threading is turned off, but hyper threading should allow better resource sharing between processes. Enabling Bitcoin to use all the virtual cores degrades the performance by roughly 7-8% and causes Firefox to lock up intermittently for a few seconds at a time. Enabling 6 or 7 out of 8 of my cores offers in between performance, but does not cause Firefox to lock up.

It seems that using 100% of half the virtual cores utilizes the full computing power of each core even though CPU performance graphs make it look like only half the computing power is being used. Using 100% of all the virtual cores also utilizes the full computing power of each core, but each virtual thread is then only utilizing on average 50% of the core and some performance is lost from the constant switching and balancing.

Thanks for including the hash measurement in version 0.3. In version 0.2 I almost always used more than half of my virtual cores.

P.S. My computer did not start up correctly when I restarted it and then disable hyper threading in the BIOS. I think it was because the computer needed to be powered down before making the change. I'm running Ubuntu AMD64 with an Intel Quad Core i7 at 2.8 GHz.

Treazant: A Fullever Rewarding Bitcoin - Backup Your Wallet TODAY to Double Your Money! - Dual Currency Donation Address: 1Dnvwj3hAGSwFPMnkJZvi3KnaqksRPa74p
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NewLibertyStandard (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 268

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2010, 04:58:25 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot about that thread. I think I read it back  before I tried a version with the hash per second output.

Treazant: A Fullever Rewarding Bitcoin - Backup Your Wallet TODAY to Double Your Money! - Dual Currency Donation Address: 1Dnvwj3hAGSwFPMnkJZvi3KnaqksRPa74p
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: