Last edit: March 03, 2019, 09:16:50 AM by souspeed

….

É melhor esperar sentado

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2013, 05:19:42 PM

Huge news Smiley

This article came out a few months ago, reposting for relevance: http://afrinnovator.com/blog/2013/04/01/bitcoin-crypto-currency-and-the-opportunity-for-a-truly-pan-africa-money-revolution/

actually, it's down, here's the cached version http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:OAKV59qwGKYJ:afrinnovator.com/blog/2013/04/01/bitcoin-crypto-currency-and-the-opportunity-for-a-truly-pan-africa-money-revolution/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

excerpt:
Weak banking (especially across countries), low regulation or collapsing central banking control in some parts of Africa may come to the Rescue: Zimbabwe abandoned its currency in 2009 and accepted rand, dollars and euros amongst other countries- what if Bitcoin was around and Zimbabweans could have another option of moving their money to Bitcoins? Bitcoins are almost like a modern day “gold standard” (without the physical weight and all the benefits of low transport/transfer costs) due to its low abundance and showing increasing liquidity as more people use it. Look at the real time bitcoin transactions and charts here. And hey look, I can buy a Bitcoin for $113 from someone in Nairobi, Kenya vs the current market price of $94 on Mt Gox.

I am starting to see some countries allow multiple currency accounts simply as a services, even if they require a lot of paperwork to get them going. Even a bank like Bank of Africa, which touts its pan- Africa presence in 14 countries, contintent wide reach is only a marketing gimmick, you can’t just walk into a branch in Benin and take out money from your account in Kenya at present- the cross border banking services have not caught up with reality.

Facilitating Africa Cross boder portability, payments and E-commerce: I have seen it with my own eyes during my overland travels between Kenya and Tanzania, how local land shuttles act as a cheaper and often more convinient or percieved trusted means of exchange across borders. Mobile money is not solving this yet even though Vodafone owns M-PESA and has stakes in 2 bordering countries. In other words, I can’t use M-PESA in tanzania to pay an M-PESA agent in Kenya. Why would I need to do this? The  very shuttle I use between Arusha and Nairobi only takes Kenya M-PESA. This hits upon an important point that often hinders African economies- not enabling enough regional trade that would help boost economies- using a cryto-currency like Bitcoin may help enable this without adopting a single currency like the Euro which has to be mandated by Governments. As we know, Bitcoin is a decentralized currency with no central authority. That freelance coder in Zimbabwe, if web services around the world started accepting bitcoin, could now pay for cloud computing services and solve a key issue that I believe could be holding back some emerging market skill. To be frank, its just too hard for the likes of Amazon to set up a local sales/billing subsiduary to charge someone in Zimbabwe- bitcoin would enable that. In fact- services like Paypal should really be doing this, but because their model is beholden to working with local banks, they can’t move here. Now imagine the ecommerce or freelance service that needs continent wide or global means to accept money- think collaborative consumption services like Airbnb or Odesk built in Africa start being used by early adopters, not paying your local utility bill. I believe these services might be the first to accept bitcoin given the global nature of their business working with small amounts of money transfers regularly. Someone could feasibly earn $50-100/week with regular low cost transfer payments.

As a store of value if you don’t trust your bank or as “Mattress 2.0″: The value of bitcoin has gone up quite a bit and it can be considered a form of investment (with risk)- its a form of “digital gold”- so rather than watch your money get eaten by banking fees, inflation or even the Governments or other world authorities actions, you can use bitcoin as the “money under the matress 2.0″. Most africans probably invest in real estate or move ther money offshore to a more stable currency- but what is a stable currency that you trust is the Euro in Cyprus like the russians thought? There is no reason to believe that like Zimbabwe, we might not see similar situations in Africa in the future. Only time will tell if bitcoin is a good investment- there was already a major hack in 2011 that caused the first crash in Bitcoin and maybe if we have lots more bitcoin mining activities, the laws of supply and demand may bring down the real value and hence real prices of bitcoins down to earth. The risks are there, in a different form but are these risks as acceptable to you as trusting your bank, mattress or buying gold?.

The world is watching bitcoin right now and maybe it gets over-regulated and banned for mainstream use fearing risks and disruption, but even then, a set of libertaerian geeks will continue to use it for some underground transactions. One likely option, is that it becomes a new form of currencyunder the  right global regulatory conditions and is allowed to thrive- something like this bitcoin exchange merged with wallet and payment startup, Ripple. But there are clear opportunities for global or pan Africa financial inclusion that could facilitate the rise of talented workers to earn and spend real value unbound by governments and central bank, benefiting that freelance Zimbabwean coder more than someone in the western world. Like steve jobs who took illegal music downloads and created itunes, who will take bitcoin and create a trusted pan african currency service? If I had my way and was a true renegade I would create a tech development bank backed by bitcoin, for techies, by techies with offices in every hub in the Afrilab network- but now its all getting to my head and this post will become more of an Apri’s fools joke Smiley. But the iHub could start mining bitcoins during idle time in their new super computer cluster for starters and make coins more widely available amonst the tech community.
vokain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2013, 05:20:43 PM

I really do hope financial revolution starts from Africa out. The people there need it more than anyone else.
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 05:24:11 PM

I really do hope financial revolution starts from Africa out. The people there need it more than anyone else.

Really great!  I agree!  It would be great if some of the groups that are already starting to give micro loans to help people (Such as World Vision International) would see the benefits of introducing Bitcoin to them as well. 

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
Benson Samuel
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1000

Landscaping Bitcoin for India!

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2013, 05:45:40 PM

Very Awesome indeed!

asically

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 05:48:37 PM

Financial revolution, in Africa? Not anytime soon.

WiW

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

"The public is stupid, hence the public will pay"

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 06:01:36 PM

Yay, the screenshot shows "millibits"!
BitChick
Legendary

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 06:21:38 PM

Yay, the screenshot shows "millibits"!

And that is one of the reasons BTC is great.  It can be reduced to amounts for anyone to get into it. Smiley

vokain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2013, 06:59:11 PM

Even if it's just for facilitating local level trade, wouldn't that be better than what they already have?
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 07:02:11 PM

Sounds like a good idea.  Hopefully they have a decent infrastructure, a capable crew and sufficient cash reserves to survive until this gets off the ground.
World

Activity: 743
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 08:30:24 PM

+1

Supporting people with beautiful creative ideas. Bitcoin is because of the developers,exchanges,merchants,miners,investors,users,machines and blockchain technologies work together.
Seth Otterstad

Activity: 328

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 06:57:53 PM

I can't find any information on fees to convert between M-Pesa and Bitcoin.  I am guessing it is outrageous.

Seth Otterstad's Blog          @SethOtterstad on twitter          Seth on google+
semaforo

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 03:26:40 PM

Any way to invest in kipochi or buy shares?
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 03:44:02 PM

Mater artium necessitas

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1020

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 11:33:47 AM

+1
+1
Seth Otterstad

Activity: 328

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 03:24:13 PM

In a report dated January 2013, the World Bank says sending money to Kenya costs about 9.2 per cent of the value of the transfer, which is lower than the 11.89 per cent average cost for remitting cash to African countries.

Kenyans living abroad sent $1.17 billion in 2012 as per Central Bank of Kenya (CBK) data. The total remittances figure is, however, much higher since CBK data does not capture cash sent through informal channels. Remittances to Africa are estimated to have hit $60 billion in 2012.

The most expensive sending markets in the sample are African countries, specifically South Africa, Tanzania, and Ghana, which measure 20.7 per cent, 19.7 per cent, and 19.0 per cent

Looks like neighboring Tanzania needs bitcoin remittance a lot more than Kenya.  Kipochi can charge outrageous fees and still undercut everything else.

Cost of money transfer to Kenya lowest in Africa
http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/Cost-of-money-transfer-to-Kenya-lowest-in-Africa/-/539552/1679122/-/format/xhtml/-/ab4cul/-/index.html

Seth Otterstad's Blog          @SethOtterstad on twitter          Seth on google+
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 04:48:22 PM

Getting fees lower than 9% would indeed be a financial revolution in Africa.  Is that really so impossible?

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
BitChick
Legendary

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 05:27:09 PM

Getting fees lower than 9% would indeed be a financial revolution in Africa.  Is that really so impossible?

I would think it is just a matter of time then.  They really need more options it sounds like and this might really solve some problems for them.  I am excited about that on a level that is more then just about my own little stash of BTC growing in value.  This will help the less fortunate lower income people by giving them the ability to have better banking, something (that in spite of the fact our 1st world banking system is not perfect by any means) that is necessary for economic growth and productivity for sure.  Like I said before, some of the outreach organizations that are working in Africa right now should get involved.  Not only should they start taking donations in BTC, they should start helping people get set up with Kipochi.

BitChick
Legendary

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 05:28:16 PM

Any way to invest in kipochi or buy shares?

Right!  That would be a smart move for sure!

zeroday
Donator

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 07:28:55 PM

Bitcoin will be widely adopted in Africa when they realize how it's convenient for buying AK-47's and selling smuggled diamonds Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: