Print  
Author Topic: ....  (Read 6737 times)
monkeybars

Activity: 278
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 06:32:22 PM

Kenya news via the grapevine :

The Treasury has introduced a 10% excise tax on all money transfers, which will inevitably lead to generally higher prices, and the unfortunate consumer will bear the burden.   It will cover not only bank transactions but mobile phone cash transfer systems such as M-Pesa and even the PO Savings Bank.   “Its impact in the short term will be inflation and increase in the price of goods.”   There is also a risk of creating an extensive “underground economy” which will deprive the Treasury of considerable revenue.   A levy of 1.5% on the customs value of imported goods for railway development is already in force.   The Kenya Revenue Authority missed its revenue target for 2012/2013 financial year by Shs.81 billion, although it showed a growth of 13.2% over the previous year.    Part of the loss was attributed to “a shift in consumption patterns towards products with lower or zero tax rates.”

Depriving any Treasury of revenue is the number one thing we should all be striving to do.

Gotta agree with you there. This type of self-defeating policy is exactly what with bring about the Bitcoin revolution that much faster.
bitfromit

Activity: 329
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 08:08:43 AM

Kipochi has been very quiet for a while. Wonder whats up.

No response to my queries, and no updates form Pelle on http://bitcoins.co.ke/forum/showthread.php?tid=72 or anywhere else it seems.....

Have set up an account but cant buy with MPesa yet, plus no info on fees and no way to transfer BTC out to another BTC address.
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 08:14:07 AM

No response to my queries, and no updates form Pelle on http://bitcoins.co.ke/forum/showthread.php?tid=72 or anywhere else it seems.....

Have set up an account but cant buy with MPesa yet, plus no info on fees and no way to transfer BTC out to another BTC address.

Hope they are still around
They have a very active twitter account though
I think that's them
https://twitter.com/KipochiPay

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Itcher

Activity: 364
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 08:31:56 AM

Kenya news via the grapevine :

The Treasury has introduced a 10% excise tax on all money transfers, which will inevitably lead to generally higher prices, and the unfortunate consumer will bear the burden.   It will cover not only bank transactions but mobile phone cash transfer systems such as M-Pesa and even the PO Savings Bank.   “Its impact in the short term will be inflation and increase in the price of goods.”   There is also a risk of creating an extensive “underground economy” which will deprive the Treasury of considerable revenue.   A levy of 1.5% on the customs value of imported goods for railway development is already in force.   The Kenya Revenue Authority missed its revenue target for 2012/2013 financial year by Shs.81 billion, although it showed a growth of 13.2% over the previous year.    Part of the loss was attributed to “a shift in consumption patterns towards products with lower or zero tax rates.”

Depriving any Treasury of revenue is the number one thing we should all be striving to do.

Gotta agree with you there. This type of self-defeating policy is exactly what with bring about the Bitcoin revolution that much faster.

This makes the so-called kenyan financial revolution a very mess. MPesa has alone horrible fees, combine it with taxes and the kenyans are soaked with every transaction they make, their income goes more and more to two monopolists (safaricom & state). This is terrible, I start to like our banking-system
manfred
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1001

Energy is Wealth

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 09:18:10 AM
Last edit: August 26, 2013, 09:57:27 AM by manfred

This makes the so-called kenyan financial revolution a very mess. MPesa has alone horrible fees, combine it with taxes and the kenyans are soaked with every transaction they make, their income goes more and more to two monopolists (safaricom & state). This is terrible, I start to like our banking-system

M-pesa and safaricom just got a new competitor, "Airtel Money".  Airtel Money (RBI APPROVED PAYMENT SYSTEM: airtel M Commerce Services Limited (AMSL) is authorised by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to issue and operate Stored Value Card Wallet under the Payment and Settlement Systems Act, 2007.) is a Company from India just starting to set up Mobil payment in Kenya as well.
http://www.airtel.in/money/features-and-benefits/
Taffis and charges in Kenyian Shillings
http://www.africa.airtel.com/wps/wcm/connect/africaairtel/kenya/airtelmoney/get_airtel_money/tariff

Its always great to be able to get money in and not back out.
It will be very hard for Kipochi to grow as the telcos will spent some serious marketing money.

World

Activity: 743
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 11:35:52 AM

great report
Bitcoin - Paperless Money, Most popular digital currency (CCTV)

Supporting people with beautiful creative ideas. Bitcoin is because of the developers,exchanges,merchants,miners,investors,users,machines and blockchain technologies work together.
hgmichna

Activity: 695

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 11:53:54 AM

Months have passed; so what now? Has anybody ever used Kipochi? Apparently not.
manfred
Legendary

Energy is Wealth

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 04:57:37 PM

Months have passed; so what now? Has anybody ever used Kipochi? Apparently not.
A few guys set up an account and sent some bitcoins only to find out that you cant transfer BTC out to another address.
Just another Nigerian Kenyan scam, forget about it and move on.

hgmichna

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 06:10:46 PM

A few guys set up an account and sent some bitcoins only to find out that you cant transfer BTC out to another address.

Can you still find where they wrote about it? I would be interested in the details.
manfred
Legendary

Energy is Wealth

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 06:22:32 PM

Can you still find where they wrote about it? I would be interested in the details.
Can't remember which forum it was, but the easiest way is go to the official web side and sent an email, or sent it directly to Pete and tell them you are very keen to sent some bitcoins. To my knowledge you will not get a response. Anyway let us know we like to hear about it too.
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 04:47:26 AM

My money is missing.  My support requests unanswered. My transaction list - well.. there isn't one.

Be careful.  Great idea - crap execution. (unless the idea was to just take your money)

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
hgmichna

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 10:57:04 AM

I suspected that.

Bitcoin is a competitor to M-Pesa. Why should they cooperate?
bitcoin44me

Activity: 252
Merit: 100

MARKETPLACE FOR PAID ADVICE LIVE BROADCASTS

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 10:58:34 AM

I suspected that.

Because they want to make more money.
Paypal should start using bitcoins and take some fees for it... If they are smart.

hgmichna

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 11:09:02 AM

I suspected that.

Because they want to make more money.
Paypal should start using bitcoins and take some fees for it... If they are smart.

Yes, and the banks should welcome bitcoins too.

But, strangely, they do just the opposite. They are currently trying to strangle Mt.Gox (or at least it looks like it to me, but perhaps Mt.Gox ist strangling itself).

I think all optimism of cooperation by any of the old-style financial institutions is misguided. Perhaps there will be minor, temporary successes on that front, but ultimately they will try to kill bitcoin.
bitfromit

Activity: 329

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 02:07:34 PM

yawn. So Kipochi might have failed, but it looks like someone else is having a go:

here http://bitpesa.co/ , and here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFhfWpQ8ezk

Nhial is also in this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJh4t21jZJk
niothor

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 02:12:44 PM

Any way to invest in kipochi or buy shares?

Right!  That would be a smart move for sure!

There are smart moves and not so smart moves.

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
kiko

Activity: 453

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 03:21:18 PM

Apparently M-PESA started accepting bitcoin directly, not seen any details yet though.

I too heard that mentioned in the senate hearings and raised an eyebrow. Can't remember which one of the witnesses said it. I'm treating it as a misunderstanding for now. If it was true I think it would have made bigger waves in the community.
hgmichna

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 03:34:09 PM

Apparently M-PESA started accepting bitcoin directly, not seen any details yet though.

That would be a miracle. If anybody finds any evidence for this, please report! Since I am in Kenya regularly, it would even make my life easier.
niothor

in defi we trust

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 04:29:14 PM

That would be a miracle. If anybody finds any evidence for this, please report! Since I am in Kenya regularly, it would even make my life easier.

Consider it something like anti-FUD news.

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
niothor

in defi we trust

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 04:30:52 PM

Couldn't find anything on it so I guess its another misunderstanding (candidate donations approved was another in the hearings). Closest I could find was this on the BitX purchase:
http://www.coindesk.com/software-firm-buys-africas-largest-bitcoin-exchange/

Of  , course , just like this story
http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/one-third-of-kenyans-now-have-a-bitcoin-wallet
with the fake cab.

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄