Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 07:33:52 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-07-04 contrariancompliance.com: Winklevii Warn Bitcoin May Become Illegal  (Read 1996 times)
juanbllanos (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 05:54:12 PM
Last edit: July 05, 2013, 05:50:54 AM by juanbllanos

http://contrariancompliance.com/2013/07/04/winklevii-warn-investors-in-their-etf-that-bitcoin-may-become-illegal/
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 05:56:05 PM

Proper Title formating please. Look at the title in my post.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 05:56:42 PM

At least they are giving "full disclosure." Wink

I guess that is part of the reason I was unsure about investing in BTC at the beginning: government intervention.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
Viscera

Activity: 660
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 06:08:18 PM

What BS. I'm amazed there are people still Dum enough to buy paper promises of gold, let alone BTC. Why would you buy a promise for the same price as having your own? I hope they make a fortune and then go bust, people foolish enough to buy paper promises deserve nothing.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2013, 06:14:54 PM

What BS. I'm amazed there are people still Dum enough to buy paper promises of gold, let alone BTC. Why would you buy a promise for the same price as having your own? I hope they make a fortune and then go bust, people foolish enough to buy paper promises deserve nothing.

PlanetaryJim comes to mind.
Bitcopia

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 06:20:26 PM

Warning that bitcoin may become illegal as a precedent to buying an ETF is like warning that people might crash their cars into yours as a precedent to buying a new car.

I'm failing to see the "news" in this...
superduh

Activity: 602

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 07:13:25 PM

i also heard that someday internet may be illegal as well just like it is in north korea

ok
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2013, 07:15:30 PM

Warning that bitcoin may become illegal as a precedent to buying an ETF is like warning that people might crash their cars into yours as a precedent to buying a new car.

The news is just reporting what the public wants to hear, despite how irrelevant it is to the actual matter at hand.
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2013, 09:37:00 PM

The news is just reporting what the public wants to hear, despite how irrelevant it is to the actual matter at hand.

Perhaps this is why I've been able to buy such cheap bitcoins on CampBX this past week?

Gotta love gobbling up these double digit coins.... here we come 4 digits!

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 10:52:29 PM

Total non-story.  Read any company's SEC filing and you will find a laundry list of potential risks (both real and far fetched).  This is nothing more than the twins and their lawyers doing some CYA disclosures.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 02:22:28 AM

So fear rally
Sneaky Winklevii Sneaky
So they can own more than 1% lol

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 02:22:45 AM

Total non-story.  Read any company's SEC filing and you will find a laundry list of potential risks (both real and far fetched).  This is nothing more than the twins and their lawyers doing some CYA disclosures.

Absolutely correct. The OP is FUD as the SEC filing has to include warnings for investors. Cryptocurrency is new so there are many unknowns. Similar warnings must have accompanied the PartyPoker float, with respect to online gambling. Indeed any completely new business has the risk of a heavy-boot regulatory response.

dwdoc
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

- - -Caveat Aleo- - -

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 02:40:58 AM
Last edit: July 05, 2013, 09:11:23 PM by dwdoc

You mean "Dum" paper like currency, stocks and bonds?

kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 03:39:26 AM

Sent PM For date fixage.

juanbllanos (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 03:58:30 AM

Thanks for the feedback.  Will follow the guideline in future.
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 04:32:49 AM

Thanks for the feedback.  Will follow the guideline in future.

Umm.  You can edit your title and put in the date anytime FYI.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
juanbllanos (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 05:52:53 AM

Total non-story.  Read any company's SEC filing and you will find a laundry list of potential risks (both real and far fetched).  This is nothing more than the twins and their lawyers doing some CYA disclosures.

Absolutely correct. The OP is FUD as the SEC filing has to include warnings for investors. Cryptocurrency is new so there are many unknowns. Similar warnings must have accompanied the PartyPoker float, with respect to online gambling. Indeed any completely new business has the risk of a heavy-boot regulatory response.

Is it really that common to see a prospectus warning that the asset investors will be betting on may become illegal?  I'd be happy to see other examples.  That was my only point.
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 05:58:13 AM

Is it really that common to see a prospectus warning that the asset investors will be betting on may become illegal?  I'd be happy to see other examples.  That was my only point.

OK. Sorry. I really meant the headline for the article which you had to quote in the OP. The Ws were obliged to make the warning which people will (and are) taking right out of context.

I found a reference to the partypoker IPO which I had in mind for a similar example:

"Their prospectus issued on Wednesday stated that their activity may be considered illegal in the US and "There is a significant risk that criminal or civil judgments may be sought against the group of directors."

http://blog.pokerwords.com/2005/06/party-poker-ipo-again.html

ProfMac
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 05:59:45 AM

Because I can buy bitcoin with my IRA / 401(k)

I try to be respectful and informed.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3261

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 04:02:58 PM

Is it really that common to see a prospectus warning that the asset investors will be betting on may become illegal?  I'd be happy to see other examples.  That was my only point.

I agree. While there is nothing new (to us, at least) about the challenges that Bitcoin faces and the laundry list of risks is typical, a security traded on a major exchange that lists illegality as a risk is noteworthy.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: