Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:22:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do people trust fiat money?  (Read 7448 times)
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 05:27:32 PM

It's sort of like when you were a kid, and you were afraid to look under the bed, because you thought there was a monster there. Only in fiat money's case, there IS a monstor...

This grown up only looked 3 years ago and found a mess under the bed and an infectious mould taking over the house.
Time for a spring cleaning.

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xxjs

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 01:59:00 AM

Most people know how fiat money works, but very few know how fiat money really works. That is why they trust it.
flagel8

Activity: 188
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 03:40:08 AM

Most people know how fiat money works, but very few know how fiat money really works. That is why they trust it.

This comment gets right to the heart of the matter. Thumbs up!
Ekaros

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 01:59:28 PM

Currently I trust that fiat money is good for a few weeks or months at least. Which is more than BTC now Grin

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
puax

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 03:36:07 PM

And this: a lot of bitcoiners *think* they know how fiat money works, except they don't. They're just a bunch of fucking loonies and conspiracy theorists who think they're on to something.

Smarter people get their hands on a lot of fiat money, with which you can still buy bitcoin last time I checked. Works better than the other way around.
xxjs

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 06:04:44 PM

And this: a lot of bitcoiners *think* they know how fiat money works, except they don't. They're just a bunch of fucking loonies and conspiracy theorists who think they're on to something.

Smarter people get their hands on a lot of fiat money, with which you can still buy bitcoin last time I checked. Works better than the other way around.

Can't argue with that. Reminds me of my wife. Smiley
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 03:22:54 AM

I have learned more about economics and world finance from reading things on this board than I ever did in my economics class.  I come to realize that people put way too much trust in fiat and that it is heavily manipulated by a handful of banks and world leaders.  It is amazing how much people just blindly trust that their dollars are "safe" and that they will hold their value indefinitely without any concern at all.

Granted, I do not have much "fiat" to worry about, compared to many people, but in a way that is empowering.  Sometimes we can feel like we have so little in comparison.  The reality is that those with "much" fiat may (in the long run) have less than those of us with a "little" bitcoin.  Wink  Of course, that waits to be seen.  But it is fun to think about anyways.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
johnyj (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 03:56:26 AM

I have learned more about economics and world finance from reading things on this board than I ever did in my economics class.  I come to realize that people put way too much trust in fiat and that it is heavily manipulated by a handful of banks and world leaders.  It is amazing how much people just blindly trust that their dollars are "safe" and that they will hold their value indefinitely without any concern at all.

Granted, I do not have much "fiat" to worry about, compared to many people, but in a way that is empowering.  Sometimes we can feel like we have so little in comparison.  The reality is that those with "much" fiat may (in the long run) have less than those of us with a "little" bitcoin.  Wink  Of course, that waits to be seen.  But it is fun to think about anyways.

True, just from a pure production cost point of view, those 3600 coins mined daily cost much more than those 2.8 billion USD created by FED every day. So if these two currencies are used widely, then through a side by side comparison, either each coin should worth at least 78K USD, or each new dollar only worth less than 0.0002 of a real dollar (In fact they heavily dilute the existing dollar's worth)

Murwa

Activity: 119
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 06:00:51 AM

True, just from a pure production cost point of view, those 3600 coins mined daily cost much more than those 2.8 billion USD created by FED every day.

You dont understand.

Dollars are backed by government's bombs , drones , tanks etc.
xxjs

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 06:51:34 AM

True, just from a pure production cost point of view, those 3600 coins mined daily cost much more than those 2.8 billion USD created by FED every day.

You dont understand.

Dollars are backed by government's bombs , drones , tanks etc.

Again, this is not backing. If anything, excessive wars take down economies rather than make them stronger. To fight a war, a government must take from the countrys capital, loan from it's subjects and debase the money.
crumbs

Activity: 210

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 11:18:43 AM

True, just from a pure production cost point of view, those 3600 coins mined daily cost much more than those 2.8 billion USD created by FED every day. So if these two currencies are used widely, then through a side by side comparison, either each coin should worth at least 78K USD, or each new dollar only worth less than 0.0002 of a real dollar (In fact they heavily dilute the existing dollar's worth)

Thank you for explaining things so clearly.  You will be happy to know that:

Which means that i'm currently enroute to my bank to convert all of my fiat into pennies.  I'll be at least 2.4 times richer.

BRB, PROFIT!1!!
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2013, 11:34:54 AM

Which means that i'm currently enroute to my bank to convert all of my fiat into pennies.  I'll be at least 2.4 times richer.

BRB, PROFIT!1!!

You do know that penny sorting (old ones made of copper alloy) is an actual hobby in Internet Libertarian circles?
johnyj (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 12:48:33 PM

Which means that i'm currently enroute to my bank to convert all of my fiat into pennies.  I'll be at least 2.4 times richer.

BRB, PROFIT!1!!

If everyone is doing that, banks go bankrupt, they can't afford to pay those mint factories Grin

crumbs

Activity: 210

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 12:57:58 PM

BRB, PROFIT!1!!

If everyone is doing that, banks go bankrupt, they can't afford to pay those mint factories Grin

Headline:
Guy on Internet Hoards Pennies -- World's Banks Fall Like Dominos!
marcovaldo

Activity: 350

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 01:03:57 PM

Fiat is more trustful than bitcoin. Fiat can succeed without bitcoin. Bitcoin can't suceed without fiat.

If tomorrow, USA and Europe forbid bitcoins, and close every banks / transfer to buy bitcoins, the bitcoin beta will be finished. It might be used from time to time to buy drugs on internet or do some transactions, but nothing more.

Government, states back fiat. You will always be able to spend euros in the Eurozone, and even if the prices might increase a little bit, you won't have +50% on prices in 48 hours like it can happen in the bitcoin world.  

Bitcoin is backed by nothing, vulnerable to 51% attacks, still in beta, and highly volatile. That's only a mean to make some fiat profits.

BITEX
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                              ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███

The First Locally-Embedded, Yet Global, Crypto-Bank
TELEGRAM    FACEBOOK   TWITTER    YOUTUBE    LINE

███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
               ███     ███     ███
                 ███     ███     ███

WHITEPAPER | ANN
JOIN WHITELIST NOW!
xxjs

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 01:21:35 PM

Fiat is more trustful than bitcoin. Fiat can succeed without bitcoin. Bitcoin can't suceed without fiat.

If tomorrow, USA and Europe forbid bitcoins, and close every banks / transfer to buy bitcoins, the bitcoin beta will be finished. It might be used from time to time to buy drugs on internet or do some transactions, but nothing more.

Government, states back fiat. You will always be able to spend euros in the Eurozone, and even if the prices might increase a little bit, you won't have +50% on prices in 48 hours like it can happen in the bitcoin world.  

Bitcoin is backed by nothing, vulnerable to 51% attacks, still in beta, and highly volatile. That's only a mean to make some fiat profits.

Good day.
marcovaldo

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 01:26:55 PM

Good day.

If you have nothing to say, don't feel the need to embarass yourself and GTFO

BITEX
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                              ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███

The First Locally-Embedded, Yet Global, Crypto-Bank
TELEGRAM    FACEBOOK   TWITTER    YOUTUBE    LINE

███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
               ███     ███     ███
                 ███     ███     ███

WHITEPAPER | ANN
JOIN WHITELIST NOW!
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 01:41:10 PM

The increases in production cost not to be confused with inflation which is consistently around 3%  Wink

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 01:43:34 PM

On the contrary, if there is ever a time when fiat goes "poof", Bitcoin would be flooded with new waves of new users; after all, we like money, and don't want to resort to bartering our goods and time.  Or perhaps we'd all go communist.  Anyway, Bitcoin is backed by people, and so long as people trust Bitcoin, Bitcoin will succeed.  This is true for any currency; if tomorrow, we all agreed that gold was just some useless yellow hard thing not worth a dime, then so it is.  If tomorrow, we all agreed that the dollar was just nasty cocaine-tainted cloth, then tomorrow, the dollar would be worthless.  To say Bitcoin is backed by nothing is to misunderstand exactly how money works; if you don't accept Bitcoin, it's worth nothing, since you don't back it, but between two people who do back Bitcoin, it is worth something.

marcovaldo

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 01:53:01 PM

On the contrary, if there is ever a time when fiat goes "poof", Bitcoin would be flooded with new waves of new users; after all, we like money, and don't want to resort to bartering our goods and time.  Or perhaps we'd all go communist.  Anyway, Bitcoin is backed by people, and so long as people trust Bitcoin, Bitcoin will succeed.  This is true for any currency; if tomorrow, we all agreed that gold was just some useless yellow hard thing not worth a dime, then so it is.  If tomorrow, we all agreed that the dollar was just nasty cocaine-tainted cloth, then tomorrow, the dollar would be worthless.  To say Bitcoin is backed by nothing is to misunderstand exactly how money works; if you don't accept Bitcoin, it's worth nothing, since you don't back it, but between two people who do back Bitcoin, it is worth something.

US government backs dollar. The whole world thinks that it is a good currency, I still wonder why when I compare it with euro but whatever.

I never that said that if fiat disappears, bitcoin will disappear too.
I said that: if it is not possible to freely exchange fiat <-> bitcoin, bitcoin will disappear. Fiat can live without bitcoin, bitcoin can't live without fiat.

You can dislike the fact that banks are running economic. The fact is that bank's profit is rougly a couple of billion $ per year, less than 1% of the American national debt. USA and FED are regulating things, and putting efforts to keep things running. When I will die, hopefully not before 2050, USD will still exists. USD will still be trusted. USD will still be used for million of transactions every day. I am not sure that bitcoin will. I doubt it will actually.

What would you trust bitcoin as least as much as usd? There is no reason. Noone will fight to keep bitcoin alive, and it can disappear any time.

Why do people uses BTC? Because they want to make some fiat profit. Because they want to buy illegal drugs. Because they want to scam. Because they want to pay a cheaper price (for international wire). Not because they dislike fiat.

BITEX
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                              ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███