Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 04:33:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I need help !!! boost::filesystem::space: Operation not permitted  (Read 339 times)
rhader (OP)

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 05:28:30 AM
Last edit: December 02, 2017, 06:06:47 PM by achow101

Bitcoin Client Software and Version Number: Bitcoin Core 0.15.1
Operating System: Ubuntu 16.04
System Hardware Specs: 2.4 GHz Intel Core CPU with 16 GB RAM and 750 GB free hard drive space.
Description of Problem: bitcoind refuses to start up. Keep getting the same error over and over.
Screenshot of the problem: https://imgur.com/pj2KFrh
debug.log: https://pastebin.com/2LCw5BJt
bitconi.conf: https://pastebin.com/ZsQArYRy

I am a noob trying to get into blockchain development. I have been running my own node for a few weeks with no problem. I shut down bitcoind at the end of each day, I only use it to practice.  I have a SSD boot and a HDD storage drive with 750GB.

Yesterday I started to have problems with starting bitcoind and had to -reindex. I stopped bitcoind and got home today to restart it once again and yet again had to -reindex. I have NO idea why and quite frankly there have been absolutly no helpful tips on the internet regarding this. i hope someone here can help me. I have the entire blockchain on my HDD but I cannot even start bitcoind anymore. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xdrpx

Activity: 616
Merit: 603

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 12:18:21 PM

I remember facing the boost::filesystem::space: Operation not permitted  issue once as well. I had to recreate a new folder in the same disk and copied my blockchain data into it and reattempted the synchronization. It worked fine after that. I'm not a 100% sure if this would help solve your problem but might be worth the try. Also make sure that no other application is placing any form of locks on this directory.

If not, from your bitcoin.conf I figured this was set as your datadir "datadir=/media/ancientevil/Storage/BitcoinBlocks" and if this is your HDD with 750 GB if free disk space then it could probably mean a corrupted db when you tried to stop reindex?

Also from https://theboostcpplibraries.com/boost.filesystem-files-and-directories "boost::filesystem::space() retrieves the total and remaining disk space". This is something used to calculate or get the used and available disk space.
rhader (OP)

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 11:25:53 PM

I remember facing the boost::filesystem::space: Operation not permitted  issue once as well. I had to recreate a new folder in the same disk and copied my blockchain data into it and reattempted the synchronization. It worked fine after that. I'm not a 100% sure if this would help solve your problem but might be worth the try. Also make sure that no other application is placing any form of locks on this directory.

If not, from your bitcoin.conf I figured this was set as your datadir "datadir=/media/ancientevil/Storage/BitcoinBlocks" and if this is your HDD with 750 GB if free disk space then it could probably mean a corrupted db when you tried to stop reindex?

Also from https://theboostcpplibraries.com/boost.filesystem-files-and-directories "boost::filesystem::space() retrieves the total and remaining disk space". This is something used to calculate or get the used and available disk space.

Thanks for the reply. Ive been trying for days to fix this. I still have no idea what to do. I am totally surprised how little there is in terms of dev support. I am reformatting my storage drive and removed bitcoin core entirely. I am going to try to reinstall once more and if that fails im off to ethereum. I am wondering if I am wasting my time even trying again with bitcoin. The total lack of help is kind of stunning... Maybe if my question was related to the price  Undecided
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6635

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2017, 04:10:28 AM

Thanks for the reply. Ive been trying for days to fix this. I still have no idea what to do. I am totally surprised how little there is in terms of dev support.
If you want help from the developers, this forum is not the right place. The place for that would be either the github issues page or the Bitcoin stackexchange (more Bitcoin Core developers are active there than here).

I am reformatting my storage drive and removed bitcoin core entirely. I am going to try to reinstall once more
Reinstalling will do nothing to help. The issue is not with your installation but more likely with the data in the datadir itself. That data is not removed or touched by any installation process, so reinstalling will not do anything to that. I suggest that you first backup your wallet then wipe everything in the datadir except the wallet file and let Bitcoin Core redownload the full blockchain.

The total lack of help is kind of stunning...
Your problem is extremely specific about an issue that few or no people have seen before. The only people who might be able to help you are the developers (of which I am one of) and even then some may not know because this issue pertains to a part of the codebase that few people actually have worked on.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: