Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:52:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What if all transactions go 'Off Chain'?  (Read 1702 times)
wolverine.ks (OP)

Activity: 375
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 03:25:27 AM

With the limitation of 7 transactions/second, 10 minute confirmation times, hour long deposits, and sometimes, transactions that take days, there is a big incentive to create ways to transact off the chain. With inputs.io and soon Open Transactions, it seems there has already been some movement in this direction.

It has been claimed that the block size limit will be increased sometime in the future. But there is already movement to get around the block chain altogether. If a new method of securing transactions can be instant, then the block chain becomes less attractive.

So if enough transactions go off chain, will there still be enough incentive to mine and secure the block chain? or will it lead to fewer transaction fees, fewer miners, less security......

And if the answer is no, that wouldn't happen, I'd be interested in hearing some thought on why, and what would happen if the answer were yes.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 03:28:49 AM

All transactions can't go off chain unless there is a single monopolistic entity handling all Bitcoin transactions.  Even if there were only two entities handling all the transactions they would need the blockchain to settle transactions between the entities.
amincd

Activity: 772
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 03:31:32 AM
Last edit: July 05, 2013, 04:43:47 AM by amincd

I really like what inputs.io is trying to do, but it complements on chain txs, it doesn't replace them. No matter how good a BTC-bank is, it still contains counter-party risk.  Having low cost on chain transactions means you never need to store a sizeable portion of your wealth with third parties, and that is what BTC is all about.
Mahn

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 06:56:19 AM

The entire point of Bitcoin was to serve as a means of exchange in a network that is:

• Distributed
  • Uncontrolled
  • In no need of trust to transact

Off chain transactions however cannot be implemented unless you have a single entity that controls and keep track of the transactions, which means this abstraction makes transacting:

• Centralized
  • Controlled
  • Reliant on trust

Which in turn essentially means off chain transactions are big f-you to the concept of Bitcoin. If you are okay with this, then you might as well just use USD and PayPal, what's the difference?

I applaud inputs.io for trying to do what they do, which for an online wallet is innovative and overall a great business idea; I just don't see the future of Bitcoin there. What we need is simply super lighting fast confirmations that can work in the current Bitcoin network as it is.

🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 06:57:20 AM

I really like what inputs.io is trying to do, but it complements on chain txs, it doesn't replace them. No matter how good a BTC-bank is, it still contains counter-party risk.  Having low cost on chain transactions means you never need to store a sizeable portion of your wealth with third parties, and that is what BTC is all about.
Yep. We think a lot of our users will use Inputs.io as their day to day wallet for the benefits of no fees and instant confirms.  But the blockchain will always have it's purpose - it is hard to beat trust-free.

Which essentially means off chain transactions are big f-you to the concept of Bitcoin. If you are okay with this, then you might as well just use USD and PayPal, what's the difference?

Are you aware that many Bitcoin core devs suggest off chain as a solution, and we've been in contact with them?
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 07:00:34 AM

Keep in mind off chain networks will still allow people to transact during 51% attacks. It just takes 2 pools being compromised for Bitcoin to be 51%'d

Offchain transactions has it's benefits and drawbacks. Onchain + offchain is the best, not just onchain or offchain.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2013, 07:10:50 AM

Which in turn essentially means off chain transactions are big f-you to the concept of Bitcoin. If you are okay with this, then you might as well just use USD and PayPal, what's the difference?

That makes no sense at all. Seals does on the chain transactions for cashins and cashouts and off the chain transactions for bets and player transfers. Not using each when appropriate would be stupid.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
bluemeanie1

Activity: 280
Merit: 257

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2013, 09:01:30 PM

With the limitation of 7 transactions/second, 10 minute confirmation times, hour long deposits, and sometimes, transactions that take days, there is a big incentive to create ways to transact off the chain. With inputs.io and soon Open Transactions, it seems there has already been some movement in this direction.

It has been claimed that the block size limit will be increased sometime in the future. But there is already movement to get around the block chain altogether. If a new method of securing transactions can be instant, then the block chain becomes less attractive.

So if enough transactions go off chain, will there still be enough incentive to mine and secure the block chain? or will it lead to fewer transaction fees, fewer miners, less security......

And if the answer is no, that wouldn't happen, I'd be interested in hearing some thought on why, and what would happen if the answer were yes.

ultimately the transactions must be settled in the block chain.

if some technology is claiming to take transactions completely off the chain, then you must consider the weaknesses inherent in the technology in question.

Just who IS bluemeanie?    On NXTautoDAC and a Million Stolen NXT

feel like your voice isn't being heard? PM me.   |   stole 1M NXT?
Ira H. Fuchs

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2013, 09:57:50 PM

good day, What you are suggesting would require the user to trust the offchain operator. You need to reread Satoshis' white paper. Bitcoin was designed to not rely on trust, I works because I depends upon proof of work confirmations within the peer to peer CPU user pool. Any questions?..Ira
BitTrade

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 05:18:40 AM

good day, What you are suggesting would require the user to trust the offchain operator. You need to reread Satoshis' white paper. Bitcoin was designed to not rely on trust, I works because I depends upon proof of work confirmations within the peer to peer CPU user pool. Any questions?..Ira

Off-chain solutions MUST complement on-chain transactions in order for Bitcoin to be mass adopted.  It seems like many in the bitcoin community suffer from severe tunnel-vision, and have lost complete sight of the big picture.

What is bitcoin competing against?  We are competing against government-issued currencies.  

What can people do with government-issued currences that they can't do with bitcoin?  They can exchange them INSTANTLY, and store them safely in a bank (3rd party).

In order to compete with the likes of PayPal, we need bitcoin to be as CONVENIENT as PayPal. Currently:

- Maintaining a secure bitcoin wallet has a higher level of difficulty than maintaining a PayPal account.  
- Sending coins to a public key is more confusing than sending money to an e-mail address via PayPal.
- Waiting 10+ minutes for transactions to confirm is 10 minutes longer than PayPal transactions.

While the blockchain offers decentralization and pseudonymity, it must be complemented with off-chain solutions if we want people to be able to use bitcoins with the same ease as, say, US Dollars / PayPal.

Ira H. Fuchs

Activity: 14

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2013, 06:33:08 AM

Off-chain solutions MUST complement on-chain transactions in order for Bitcoin to be mass adopted.  It seems like many in the bitcoin community suffer from severe tunnel-vision, and have lost complete sight of the big picture.

What is bitcoin competing against?  We are competing against government-issued currencies.  

What can people do with government-issued currences that they can't do with bitcoin?  They can exchange them INSTANTLY, and store them safely in a bank (3rd party).

In order to compete with the likes of PayPal, we need bitcoin to be as CONVENIENT as PayPal. Currently:

- Maintaining a secure bitcoin wallet has a higher level of difficulty than maintaining a PayPal account.  
- Sending coins to a public key is more confusing than sending money to an e-mail address via PayPal.
- Waiting 10+ minutes for transactions to confirm is 10 minutes longer than PayPal transactions.

While the blockchain offers decentralization and pseudonymity, it must be complemented with off-chain solutions if we want people to be able to use bitcoins with the same ease as, say, US Dollars / PayPal.

good evening, Happy to clear it up for you. Offchain transactions require trust. Bitcoin works because it functions using an advanced systematic indexing system. The larger the network the more confirmations are possible. This number is correlated to the degree of reliability.  We are always looking for ways to expand and build up asicause nodes. Feedback is always welcome and helps to boost morale in DM communities who are still byte-dark...Ira
xavier

Activity: 260

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 10:47:04 PM

The entire point of Bitcoin was to serve as a means of exchange in a network that is:

• Distributed
  • Uncontrolled
  • In no need of trust to transact

Off chain transactions however cannot be implemented unless you have a single entity that controls and keep track of the transactions, which means this abstraction makes transacting:

• Centralized
  • Controlled
  • Reliant on trust

I applaud inputs.io for trying to do what they do, which for an online wallet is innovative and overall a great business idea; I just don't see the future of Bitcoin there. What we need is simply super lighting fast confirmations that can work in the current Bitcoin network as it is.

Good try, but you're missing something in this analysis.

Off-chain transactions can work, because anybody can set up their own 'supernode'. Therefore it keeps the P2P values of bitcoin.

Sure, bitcoin becomes more centralized, but still a hell of a lot less centralized than our existing banking system.
Kouye

Activity: 336

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 10:53:02 PM

Sure, bitcoin becomes more centralized, but still a hell of a lot less centralized than our existing banking system.

But it's then becoming more and more tempting to be the one who centralizes most.
And random users will be back having to trust inputs.io or any similar place.

And when those places change their homepage, explaining they are now taking a 1% fee, random users will pay up.
Just check what power your banks have over your life today, and you'll know the rest of the story.

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
villanfonsDC

Activity: 28

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 01:13:57 AM

Not possible. As far as my understanding goes.
jasperIL2267

Activity: 23

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 01:21:16 AM

Then that would suck, wouldnt it Tongue
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 01:28:40 AM

But it's then becoming more and more tempting to be the one who centralizes most.
And random users will be back having to trust inputs.io or any similar place.

And when those places change their homepage, explaining they are now taking a 1% fee, random users will pay up.
Just check what power your banks have over your life today, and you'll know the rest of the story.

You are aware that we (Inputs) don't charge a 1% or whatever fee compared to BitPay, Coinbase, BIPS, whatever?

Trust is always optional. The blockchain isn't going away, and there always will be bitcoin addresses and public / private key cryptorgraphy
edmundedgar

Activity: 352

https://www.realitykeys.com

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2013, 01:32:59 AM

I don't think any of the things you mention to compete with PayPal actually require off-chain transactions, although there are a lot of cases where they have a role.

This can definitely be fixed with a trusted wallet service, and possibly even with some client design ingenuity.

This can be fixed with an email -> Bitcoin address directory with a public API. I made one called Address Machine:
https://www.addressmachine.com/

You have to wait 10+ minutes for transactions to be _irrevocably_ confirmed, but with PayPal the relevant number is more like 3 months. Most practical situations where you need instant transactions can probably get by with zero confirmations, although the issues around this aren't quite trivial. If zero-confirmation transactions _do_ turn out to be too risky in practice for widespread use, there are other ways of working around this without entrusting the whole payment process with a trusted off-chain third-party.
CryptoLover

Activity: 24

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 01:41:03 AM

Impossible for that to happen.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 01:44:10 AM

You have to wait 10+ minutes for transactions to be _irrevocably_ confirmed, but with PayPal the relevant number is more like 3 months. Most practical situations where you need instant transactions can probably get by with zero confirmations, although the issues around this aren't quite trivial. If zero-confirmation transactions _do_ turn out to be too risky in practice for widespread use, there are other ways of working around this without entrusting the whole payment process with a trusted off-chain third-party.
The problem with this is that anonymous transactions (eg a bet) can be double spent without any adverse action on the sender, because he is anonymous.

Zero confirms work great if you're sending Bitcoins to your friend or buying a cup of coffee (this isn't taking in account tx / dust fees through), but if you are running a web facing app that allows anonymous usage.. you're going to go bankrupt if you accept 0 confirms on the blockchain.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 01:45:55 AM

This can be fixed with an email -> Bitcoin address directory with a public API. I made one called Address Machine:
https://www.addressmachine.com/

This is no different than trusting a third party service. Do you seriously want to broadcast all of your transactions to the whole wide world and tie them to your email address? Roll Eyes
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: