Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:14:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Kipochi offers first Mobile Bitcoin Wallet in Africa  (Read 917 times)
BitChick (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 04:45:04 AM

I saw this posted in the press section:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=250027.0

here is the company's website as well: http://kipochi.com/en

It seems really promising to me.  Of course, they are not going to work with the US because of regulations at this point.  But if they can make BTC accessible and easy for Africa to use that would be huge for BTC I would think!  Plus it would be a great benefit to the people that have trouble accessing banks easily in remote places there.  Seems like a great thing!

Could this eventually get the ball rolling to bring BTC to new heights? 

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Ares

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 04:58:43 AM

Of course, they are not going to work with the US because of regulations at this point.

Like music to my ears.

As others have said, it is in developing countries where Bitcoin will really shine.
BitChick (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 05:26:10 AM

Of course, they are not going to work with the US because of regulations at this point.

Like music to my ears.

As others have said, it is in developing countries where Bitcoin will really shine.

The sad thing is that the US is going to be left in the dust because of all of their "regulations".  It is sad and frustrating at the same time.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
Ares

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 05:51:53 AM

Like music to my ears.

The sad thing is that the US is going to be left in the dust because of all of their "regulations".  It is sad and frustrating at the same time.

Poetic justice
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 07:10:49 AM

Like music to my ears.

Yes and no. I would imagine there is a VPN app for cell phones?
Every time you see "US IP's blocked" it is just another way of saying: "We are leaving the legal decision to the end users. If you wish to work with us then use a VPN."

I wonder if Apple will block this from the app store as well - I'm sure they will...

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
Kaiji

Activity: 140

Hoist the Colours

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 11:33:55 AM

Mobile commerce seems to always take off fastest in Africa. People use the mobiles to send money to one another anyway so I don't see why they would be tempted to use bitcoins instead? Countries like Zimbabwe where the local currency is so devalued that carrying suitcases of cash just to buy groceries is unfeasible, would benefit greatly from bitcoins.
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 01:06:13 AM

Sadly - the kipochi service seems to be largely vapourware at this point.

There is a 'beta' - but customer support appears to be non-existant.  I sent $10AUD of funds to a friend in Kenya over 24hrs ago - no sign of it, no transaction record in my account and no answers to support questions even after a PM to @KipochiPay on twitter.

I have been contacted by a media organisation  'Think Africa Press' for feedback on experiences with Kipochi... but unfortunately I've nothing positive to report.

I really hope these guys get their act together.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 03:01:58 AM

There is a 'beta' - but customer support appears to be non-existant.  I sent $10AUD of funds to a friend in Kenya over 24hrs ago - no sign of it, no transaction record in my account and no answers to support questions even after a PM to @KipochiPay on twitter.

I have been contacted by a media organisation  'Think Africa Press' for feedback on experiences with Kipochi... but unfortunately I've nothing positive to report.

Did you meet your friend through an unexpected email?
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 03:16:42 AM

No.  Through a family member whose partner is Kenyan.
Thanks for asking, because you know... when you use a 'suspicious' currency like Bitcoin it's important to point out that some entire continents are a bit 'suspicious' too.. right?

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
Ares

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 03:41:49 AM

No.  Through a family member whose partner is Kenyan.
Thanks for asking, because you know... when you use a 'suspicious' currency like Bitcoin it's important to point out that some entire continents are a bit 'suspicious' too.. right?

I PM'd you (for privacy reasons) with an alternate way to get in touch with them
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: