Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:17:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How did it all start? Who generated the genesis block?  (Read 1035 times)
Sovereign (OP)

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 12:36:38 PM

Is there something embedded in the genesis block that regulates difficulty? If not, then who decides difficulty, wouldn't a central authority (yikes) need to decide the difficulty level?

It seems so baffling to me, like asking where did the universe come from. But I'm intent on learning.

12uB1LSPrAqeEefLJTDfd6rKsu3KjiFBpa

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2011, 12:45:12 PM

You could very easily start by reading the bitcoin wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Sovereign (OP)

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 01:03:46 PM

You could very easily start by reading the bitcoin wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin

I already read that a few times, I'm asking a specific question about who made the genesis block, and how difficulty level is implemented.

zybron

Activity: 66

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 01:12:08 PM

Difficulty: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Difficulty

And I would presume Sotoshi generated the genesis block, but I have no actual confirmation on that.

kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 01:17:08 PM

Is there something embedded in the genesis block that regulates difficulty? If not, then who decides difficulty, wouldn't a central authority (yikes) need to decide the difficulty level?

It seems so baffling to me, like asking where did the universe come from. But I'm intent on learning.
the client will not accept a block with a lower difficulty, then it takes to generate a block on avg. 10 min.
there will be on avg. 1 block per 10 min, at some difficulty. but if there are generated more blocks for 10 min. the clients will adjust the difficulty, so there will be generated a block per 10 min, again. if it takes more time the oppsite will happen: slow block generation -> lower difficulty.

hoped it helped Cheesy

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
Sovereign (OP)

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 01:54:11 PM

the client will not accept a block with a lower difficulty, then it takes to generate a block on avg. 10 min.
there will be on avg. 1 block per 10 min, at some difficulty. but if there are generated more blocks for 10 min. the clients will adjust the difficulty, so there will be generated a block per 10 min, again. if it takes more time the oppsite will happen: slow block generation -> lower difficulty.

hoped it helped Cheesy

Amazing.

But what guarantees everyone will use the same difficulty? How is the difficulty globalized?

Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2011, 01:56:38 PM

hoped it helped Cheesy

Amazing.

But what guarantees everyone will use the same difficulty? How is the difficulty globalized?
Everyone calculates it based on the same block chain. The protocol specifies exactly how the calculation is to be made.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 01:58:09 PM

That's the protocol. Every bitcoin full node will verify that each new block respects the difficult factor. If somebody starts producing/accepting blocks which don't follow this rule, s/he will end up with forked chain.

There's no "hard guarantee" that a good number of people won't switch to a different chain that doesn't follow the current rules. It just hasn't happened yet and I don't think it's likely to happen any time soon.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: