Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 08:23:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: server mb advantage and anyone mining on server mb?  (Read 710 times)
ggbtctalk000 (OP)

Activity: 394
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 08:20:44 PM

best aspect of server? Most or all have B.M.C. aka baseboard management control (separate crash-proof CPU that runs out of band) that lets you remotely manage your server if it crashes or freezes. WOL does not work if OS crash. Otherwise you have to go to site to do a maintenance.
Is anyone doing on cheap server from HP, Lenovo or Cisco etc?

For server form factors, there are 3 mostly:
- tower
- rack
- blade.
For the purposes of mining I think blade is out as it is too space constrained and tower and rack is best bet.
0xcosmos

Activity: 585
Merit: 110

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 03:06:03 PM

i do not have much experience with server motherboard
but it think recognizing more than six gpus may be a problem with them
and even system stability
i will still recommend you to go with atx motherboards for mining
GeePeeU

Activity: 540
Merit: 251

ASK

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 03:19:11 PM

I have only ever seen a few pictures of 6+ GPU server builds , the information regarding comparability  is really hard to find if even up to date.
The best way to learn the specs if good server builds today would most likely be to ask someone doing it.

Always doubt.
ggbtctalk000 (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 07:52:15 PM

I have only ever seen a few pictures of 6+ GPU server builds , the information regarding comparability  is really hard to find if even up to date.
The best way to learn the specs if good server builds today would most likely be to ask someone doing it.

there are some Intel reference but that is still hundreds of dollars.
I think servers are out of question.

Intel CPU/chips seems to have remote management capability vPro? probably path to explore. However words on the internet that it hosts http which make whole system vulnerable to attack.

Simple solution i see is if there is ANY switch on the market to plug into the PWR pin of the motherboard, daisy chain it and that itself can be controled through IP stack. Then it can at least give remote reset/power on and off capability.
Crazy thought.
e97

Activity: 58
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 07:58:36 PM

I'll just leave this here:

joblo
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1114

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 08:36:21 PM

best aspect of server? Most or all have B.M.C. aka baseboard management control (separate crash-proof CPU that runs out of band) that lets you remotely manage your server if it crashes or freezes. WOL does not work if OS crash. Otherwise you have to go to site to do a maintenance.
Is anyone doing on cheap server from HP, Lenovo or Cisco etc?

For server form factors, there are 3 mostly:
- tower
- rack
- blade.
For the purposes of mining I think blade is out as it is too space constrained and tower and rack is best bet.

There's no such thing as a crash proof CPU. An out of band management system has very limited utility.
It's more for routine management than crash recovery. Once a system is up and running stable most
crashes either recover on their own or require a site vist. The only scenario where I see OOB management
being useful is when you need to give access to an expert to remotely troubleshhoot a dead system. That would
probably also involve someone on site to help coordinate.

AKA JayDDee, cpuminer-opt developer. https://github.com/JayDDee/cpuminer-opt
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5226770.msg53865575#msg53865575
BTC: 12tdvfF7KmAsihBXQXynT6E6th2c2pByTT,
sirslayer

Merit: 501

chickens and cryptos

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 09:00:49 PM

Im using a HP dl385 gen 7 !!!  and its more then a motherboad.. its on a 2U HP case and power supplies which haves plenty of watts and ILO to manage your server over the ip's 
ggbtctalk000 (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 09:22:29 PM

Im using a HP dl385 gen 7 !!!  and its more then a motherboad.. its on a 2U HP case and power supplies which haves plenty of watts and ILO to manage your server over the ip's 
are you using that to mine also?
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 10:44:17 PM

Server hardware is too expensive. It will ruin your ROI and gives basically 0 features that another machine does.

If you want to be able to remotely restart crashed rigs just get something that will flip the power off and on. There are plenty of managed power receptacles that do this.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
wacko
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 12:32:03 AM

There's plenty of cheap used server hardware out there that you could mine with, and more often than not you can run lots of GPUs with those boards (especially dual socket boards, since there's a lot of pci-e lanes with 2 CPUs). I wouldn't say that IPMI is a big advantage, as was mentioned before it's great for actually using the server, but there are simpler ways to remotely reboot a crashed mining rig. The main downside of server boards and why I personally don't use them is the power consumption (that is if we're talking about older lga2011 and lga1366 boards, which are the only affordable platforms, anything newer is just too expensive) — they're very inefficient compared to modern intel desktop hardware.
sirslayer

chickens and cryptos

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 12:45:56 AM
Last edit: December 05, 2017, 12:58:41 AM by sirslayer

i can 24 x cpu and 6 x gpu mine on my own wallets and also its a 42-coin node.  I had the cut out the ends of the pci-e x 8 slots  so the the pci-e x 16 cards could fit in the pci-e x 8 slots .. it works though!!

and I forget to mention , yes its takes a lot of power but you know that was a issue in the first point

I bought my Hp last year used for 300 dollars and it came with 32 G/b of ram and 2 x 160 G/b ssd in raid 1 and 2200 watts power supply.  this computer have been running everyday since i bought it and since it a HP server and HP is king for servers .. you will never be let down since reliability is No 1 and parts are cheap at ebay
sirslayer

chickens and cryptos

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 01:08:45 AM
Last edit: December 05, 2017, 01:19:54 AM by sirslayer

and a link on ebay to build and buy the hp dl385 gen7 online.. to give you an idea on cost.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Build-Your-Own-HP-ProLiant-DL385-G7-SFF-8B-32-Core-2-30GHz-AMD-6276-Wholesale/182933018957?hash=item2a97a8594d:m:mxMJ5b8swrrEZeIDaHAjSbw

most blades only have one pci-e slot per blade..  Sad

sirslayer

chickens and cryptos

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 01:41:26 AM

if you want a server that is more impressive and cheap to buy used is the HP dl585/dl580 gen 7 servers or the all mighty hp dl980

this link on ebay is the first cheapest dl 585 onthe list

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Proliant-DL585-G7-48-CORES-AMD-6172-2-10GHZ-NO-RAM-NO-HDD-P410i-4x-1200W-PS/282643015997?hash=item41ced6293d:g:Z6cAAOSw23lZsYhP

price for a used is US $339.95 avg and a few hundreds more you can upgrade to your dream server.. It can have 12 pci-e slots and 64 cores cpu and a gig of ram..  this system comes with 4 x 1200 watts of power!!!! but no hard drive or ram Sad  you can search in ebay for better deals and parts for your server..  I own a few hp dl385 and im very happy with the 1st year operations and looking forward to invest into a HP dl585 since the software and parts can be transfer from the current setup i have so it makes upgrading alot better ..  keep in mind that gen 7 and get 8,9 ect ect will differ in technologies and the rule is to only gen 7 parts will only work in other gen 7 systems and only the hard drive and video card's can be transfer to newer gen 8 or 9 since SATA and Video Cards on the Pci-e bus havent changed between gen 7 to gen 9.. 
ggbtctalk000 (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 03:52:59 AM

Server hardware is too expensive. It will ruin your ROI and gives basically 0 features that another machine does.

If you want to be able to remotely restart crashed rigs just get something that will flip the power off and on. There are plenty of managed power receptacles that do this.
yes there power rails with IP but how about you turn the flip back on and motherboard does not power up?. Being able to reboot will not troubleshoot everything that happens but at least get out of crashed state.
ggbtctalk000 (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 03:57:13 AM

if you want a server that is more impressive and cheap to buy used is the HP dl585/dl580 gen 7 servers or the all mighty hp dl980

this link on ebay is the first cheapest dl 585 onthe list

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Proliant-DL585-G7-48-CORES-AMD-6172-2-10GHZ-NO-RAM-NO-HDD-P410i-4x-1200W-PS/282643015997?hash=item41ced6293d:g:Z6cAAOSw23lZsYhP

price for a used is US $339.95 avg and a few hundreds more you can upgrade to your dream server.. It can have 12 pci-e slots and 64 cores cpu and a gig of ram..  this system comes with 4 x 1200 watts of power!!!! but no hard drive or ram Sad  you can search in ebay for better deals and parts for your server..  I own a few hp dl385 and im very happy with the 1st year operations and looking forward to invest into a HP dl585 since the software and parts can be transfer from the current setup i have so it makes upgrading alot better ..  keep in mind that gen 7 and get 8,9 ect ect will differ in technologies and the rule is to only gen 7 parts will only work in other gen 7 systems and only the hard drive and video card's can be transfer to newer gen 8 or 9 since SATA and Video Cards on the Pci-e bus havent changed between gen 7 to gen 9.. 

good idea but going into more specific. hp's bmc does not come free. Their update mechanism sucks and it is KVM is based on javascriprt and crashes a lot. However that is with my old HP server. Otherwise HP is pretty good and stable. If  I remember they were charging about 150$ for 2 years for LiO access.

I also used to work with Cisco servers and its bmc is free however aspects I aint got no time to compare. Not sure of other vendors that easy access to bmc. But for sure, HP's really sucked when I used it. If only they made if free it would be almost perfect.
ggbtctalk000 (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 03:57:56 AM

I am thinking to investigate vPro of i-5 series. There might be some promise, I am not sure where it will lead to but I will keep it updated here.
wacko
Legendary

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 04:19:41 AM

I am thinking to investigate vPro of i-5 series. There might be some promise, I am not sure where it will lead to but I will keep it updated here.
I've done some digging on this vPro thing some time ago, and in the end came to the conclusion that it's not suitable for mining rigs. This tech is supported only by a very limited number of chipsets, it's basically only the rare "Q"-series (and most of those boards, if not all, are matx) and some server chipsets. I just couldn't find any full size atx motherboards with a reasonable number of pci-e slots among those. It was a year ago, but I doubt that something's changed (q370 isn't out yet, and I don't see anything good for mining with q270).
ggbtctalk000 (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 04:33:43 AM

I've done some digging on this vPro thing some time ago, and in the end came to the conclusion that it's not suitable for mining rigs. This tech is supported only by a very limited number of chipsets, it's basically only the rare "Q"-series (and most of those boards, if not all, are matx) and some server chipsets. I just couldn't find any full size atx motherboards with a reasonable number of pci-e slots among those. It was a year ago, but I doubt that something's changed (q370 isn't out yet, and I don't see anything good for mining with q270).

that is one thing, i just bought z270 asus so you think it will not work? I havent gotten yet, because i purchase i3 not i5.
For limited No. of slot may be you can pcie riser card and that should solve the problem.
wacko
Legendary

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 04:44:44 AM

that is one thing, i just bought z270 asus so you think it will not work?
No, I'm pretty sure it won't work with z270. As far as I can tell, out of all recent intel chipsets, only Q270, Q170, C(M)236 and CM238 support vPro.
sirslayer

chickens and cryptos

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 06:17:43 AM
Last edit: December 05, 2017, 06:28:17 AM by sirslayer

and to be honest, power usages is actually low even though the motherboard is on high performance "mode" and that was a trick to learn !! also this is required due to hardware limitations that the compact design of a 2U gives a odd arrangements of pci-e slots on risers boards that allows to use 4 x single slot, full length video cards allotments and 2 x low profile, single slot and half length video cards allotments for a total of the 6 pci-e slots.. due to server case being low profile  Using 4 x XFX single slot 460 and 2 x MSI single slot micro badass 460 would be the best setup to mount them properly and and no external power source is required to plug into these video cards  and that increased power savings efficient!!!  There is a major flaw with with BMC controller that prevents the motherboard from disabling  the onboard AMD gpu . So any AMD Gpu video card that I installed will always become the secondary video dispaly under the windows or linux environment. Even if i disabled the onbaord video in the BIOS setup.. all six gpus plug into a Video screen just goes blank and you can hear the server ramp up the fans which is not good!!  Your forced to reset the jumper on the motherbaord in order for the defaults to set the onboard video back on!! and thats the only way to get all 6 gpu to work under secondary display. if the bios rest didnt work, removing all 6 gpu is the only solution Then by accident after doing a bios reset and cards removal , I install a Nvidia card in the low profile, half length slot and to my surprise The server bios started on the Nvidia screen and the onboard gpu was disable which none of the amd video cards I've install can never do before and the nvidia is actually is siting on a HP/AMD motherboard.   Then I allowed windows to install the nvidia drivers and then asked to restart windows which i allowed and I seen the fastest reboot and re start like it did never before. Somehow The Nvidia video card did the trick and I installed all 5 x amd with the nvidia being the main dispaly which allow more resources to mine cryptocurrenecy on the amd cards.. to be honest , im actually mining on all gpus and cpus , the fans are low and not ramping up..  when I removed the nvidia card, that caused the onboard video to kick back on and  youll noticed how much slower the server is running under the windows/linux environment and the fans are ramping again..  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: