Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 10:47:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL sample Chips  (Read 3086 times)
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060

between a rock and a block!

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 07:08:44 PM

mine have shipped out. should be here in a day or two.
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dwdoc
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

- - -Caveat Aleo- - -

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 09:57:44 PM

I received 2 sample chips from BFL today (bulk chip order placed on 6/11/13) which I sent right out to chris99 for testing/assembly. Had great communication and prompt shipping from BFL. Looks like chip purchase from BFL may be the way to go...

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/3831-board-bfl-chips-group-buy-chips.html

rammy2k2
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 10:51:38 PM

as an update, a friend of mine got tracking of his sample chips too today
dwdoc
Legendary

- - -Caveat Aleo- - -

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 01:19:48 AM

The fact that they are shipping out sample chips in a timely fashion indicates that BFL delays are due to issues with other parts and/or assembly and not due to delays in chip production. Not that it's fair but I think BFL chip purchasers will have working clones before many of those who bought miners...
Bicknellski

Activity: 924

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 04:48:27 AM
Last edit: July 18, 2013, 02:08:28 PM by Bicknellski

100 days for sufficient quantities of BFL chips to be delivered, am I not right, for production of a DIY BFL miners? That is going to be a problem given other options available right now. Seems like that is quite a risky venture.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
dwdoc
Legendary

- - -Caveat Aleo- - -

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 05:20:29 AM
Last edit: July 18, 2013, 06:14:01 AM by dwdoc

BFL chips went on pre-sale at about the same time as KNC's miners and Bitfury's Metabank miners. All are suppose to start shipping in September. BFL has shipped out bunches of sample chips. Bitfury has sent out a few sample chips. KNC has not provided any chip images, so we will see...

ps-chriss99 at BFL forum is quoting a price of $240 per 8 BFL chip board ($640 including chip cost). That cost per GH is equivalent to Metabank and KNCminer but BFL is the better deal because you only have to pre-pay 50% for the chips.

pps-If you purchased Avalon chips back in May the cost per GH for an Avalon clone is higher than BFL but you will probably get your device at least a month earlier...
Bicknellski

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 02:09:26 PM

BFL chips went on pre-sale at about the same time as KNC's miners and Bitfury's Metabank miners. All are suppose to start shipping in September. BFL has shipped out bunches of sample chips. Bitfury has sent out a few sample chips. KNC has not provided any chip images, so we will see...

ps-chriss99 at BFL forum is quoting a price of $240 per 8 BFL chip board ($640 including chip cost). That cost per GH is equivalent to Metabank and KNCminer but BFL is the better deal because you only have to pre-pay 50% for the chips.

pps-If you purchased Avalon chips back in May the cost per GH for an Avalon clone is higher than BFL but you will probably get your device at least a month earlier...

100 days till BFL delivers chips correct?

That is pretty risky... given their past record.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Loredo

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 02:37:56 PM

The fact that they are shipping out sample chips in a timely fashion indicates that BFL delays are due to issues with other parts and/or assembly and not due to delays in chip production. Not that it's fair but I think BFL chip purchasers will have working clones before many of those who bought miners...

Well, IIRC, they offered their queue the opportunity to convert their machine order to a chip order, right?

The shitty part of that is when a company's customers don't trust anything the company does or says, then any decision the customers are asked to make they view with suspicion, and may well turn out to be wrong.
Bicknellski

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 02:40:22 PM

1 0 0  days.

More than 3 months before chips in any volume delivered. Really? Forget if they are late on delivery that is a pretty long time to wait.

Loredo

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 02:44:04 PM

100 days till BFL delivers chips correct?

That is pretty risky... given their past record.
I just have a feeling about this:  I think it's going to go, and pretty close to on-schedule.  BFL's always had a chip that works; heat issues, etc, sure, but those aren't deal breakers.

What they never have had is the ability to produce finished product.  For good reason: efficient electronic assembly is not trivial, and like any manufacturing has a steep experience curve.

The reason I've been harping about BFL shipping samples wasn't to give people time to build the enablements; those aren't that big a tech deal.  

It was the signaling that (a) they had chips, and (b) they had intention to ship those orders.  
Bicknellski

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 02:46:29 PM

ROI on that 100 days from now on the DIY boards being designed?

Loredo

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 02:52:38 PM

ROI on that 100 days from now on the DIY boards being designed?
Somebody wrote above that a guy on the BFL forum is offering finished boards "competitively with metabank and KNC." 

I guess I didn't know that metabank and KNC were competitive prices per GH; looking at bitfury's USA sales, it looks like a multiple between then. 

Anyway, I just doubt, given the history, distrust, and rancor, that the DIY effort will be as cooperative, open source, efficient, and economical as it was for the Avalons'. 
Bicknellski

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 03:19:10 PM

Hard to say... I just think 100 days from now given what could come out in terms of new chips, even attempting to do a project with BFL chips seems a hard climb to say the least. Considering the options available right now that is pretty gutsy.

Loredo

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 03:32:17 PM

Hard to say... I just think 100 days from now given what could come out in terms of new chips, even attempting to do a project with BFL chips seems a hard climb to say the least. Considering the options available right now that is pretty gutsy.
Oh, sure, I absolutely agree: Avalon is far and away the safer, and probably first to network, option right now, and maybe on-going.

But if I had to bet right now, I'd bet that BFL delivers, and that there will be at least one vendor ready to solder those chips to working boards.

What I wouldn't bet on is a mini "industry" as has evolved around, e.g, the Klondikes.
Bicknellski

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 03:43:25 PM

You'd be wrong.

Given the Open Source Hardware teams getting their teeth into Avalon chips and the BitFury chips are the exact same footprint... I bet you are going to see a lot more things get to market that are bastardizations of Klondikes before those poor boys DIYers with BFL Chips. Heck just buy some BitFury boards they will be out well before that.

dwdoc
Legendary

- - -Caveat Aleo- - -

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 04:33:57 PM
Last edit: August 05, 2013, 03:59:28 PM by dwdoc

I have sent my 2 sample chips to chris99 at butterfly forum who is designing a board for BFL chips. I am interested in purchasing up to 6 additional BFL sample chips so the board (designed to hold up to 8 chips) can be fully tested.

EDIT:

Attention anyone with BFL sample chips:

PM me or chris99 if you would like for them to be installed for testing a new board.

Also PM me if you are having trouble getting your sample chips from BFL.

Board pics:

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/3831-board-bfl-chips-group-buy-chips-9.html#post50833
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: