Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:19:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 1 fan not spinning - XFX RADEON 7970 925M 3GB - advice needed  (Read 28365 times)
dgagli1

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 04:49:02 PM

So I had the same problem with my XFX 7950( 3months old). I contacted XFX support and they offered to send me a replacement fan to do myself or send it in for them to do it.  If I f-up doing myself, warranty is voided. They stated its easy, just need phillips and thermal paste.  Im pretty good with tinkering in electronics.  Any advice on which route to take?  Can I seriously f-up this unit by just replacing the cooler?  Any advice would be appreciated.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
greenbtc

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 05:32:26 PM

So I had the same problem with my XFX 7950( 3months old). I contacted XFX support and they offered to send me a replacement fan to do myself or send it in for them to do it.  If I f-up doing myself, warranty is voided. They stated its easy, just need phillips and thermal paste.  Im pretty good with tinkering in electronics.  Any advice on which route to take?  Can I seriously f-up this unit by just replacing the cooler?  Any advice would be appreciated.

It's pretty hard to screw up a HSF install. I have been building PCs for 16+ years, though, so I'm a bit biased. Thermal paste + a screwdriver set is usually all you need, along with some isopropyl alcohol to clean off the contact surfaces. Google HSF install and I'm sure you'll find plenty examples of how they are done (it may not be on a GPU, but the concept/method is the same as a CPU).
dgagli1

Activity: 9

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 07:25:20 PM

Ok, so I successfully installed the new fan with a thin layer of artic silver on GPU, after cleaning it thoroughly of previous thermal paste.  The fan works great only one issue, my card resets when it gets to about 70C now.  Previously, I ran it at 20 intensity, and now I can only run it continuously at 11.  Any ideas why this is happening?  I read the artic silver has a break in time, is this what is causing the gpu to reset??  Any ideas how to fix issue?
PEBKAC

Activity: 28

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 07:41:44 PM

Yes, Arctic Silver does have a break-in time, just like most other high performance thermal pastes.
However, that should only be good for 1 or 2 degrees celcius and usually takes about a week. It really should get some thermal cycles (couple hours on, couple hours off) during that time for optimum efficiency.

The card may have gotten a shock of static discharge while you were handling it. If you were on socks walking over carpet, it may have happened.
This often does not kill a piece of hardware instantly, but can cause it to be a little unstable at full load.

It may also be that the cooler hasn't been secured tightly enough and it overheats because it cannot get rid of all the heat.
The cooler should be perfectly flat on the GPU. Also, the memory patches should also make contact to the cooler. They definately need proper cooling and will cause issues like you described when this is not the case.
greenbtc

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 07:53:45 PM

It may also be that the cooler hasn't been secured tightly enough and it overheats because it cannot get rid of all the heat.
The cooler should be perfectly flat on the GPU. Also, the memory patches should also make contact to the cooler. They definately need proper cooling and will cause issues like you described when this is not the case.

This. It sounds like the cooler isn't quite seated properly.
miningatnight

Activity: 28

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 08:09:29 PM

Ok, so I successfully installed the new fan with a thin layer of artic silver on GPU, after cleaning it thoroughly of previous thermal paste.  The fan works great only one issue, my card resets when it gets to about 70C now.  Previously, I ran it at 20 intensity, and now I can only run it continuously at 11.  Any ideas why this is happening?  I read the artic silver has a break in time, is this what is causing the gpu to reset??  Any ideas how to fix issue?

What happens when you run at higher intensity?
kuusj98

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

I <3 VW Beetles

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 02:11:43 PM

What happens when you run at higher intensity?
You get much higher Hashrates, but it also couses more heat.
I havent seen much power draw increase with a higher intensity so it is worth to set it as high as possible, but beware, you cant really use your computer at 20...
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 02:49:20 PM

i have 2 x 7950  xfx with 2 fans,  1st that happened is that 1 fan on 1 card died, soon after 2nd died too, i bought accelero extreme and replaced cooler on that one. 1 week later , 1 fan on my other card also died, i got pissed coz i couldnt find another accelero 7970 in shops, so i sent it in service with warranty. both cards are about 3months old, and fan was at fixed 80% power.

long story short, avoid xfx cards if u dont want to buy them new coolers.

cheers
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2013, 01:36:50 AM

i have 2 x 7950  xfx with 2 fans,  1st that happened is that 1 fan on 1 card died, soon after 2nd died too, i bought accelero extreme and replaced cooler on that one. 1 week later , 1 fan on my other card also died, i got pissed coz i couldnt find another accelero 7970 in shops, so i sent it in service with warranty. both cards are about 3months old, and fan was at fixed 80% power.

long story short, avoid xfx cards if u dont want to buy them new coolers.

cheers

I don't agree.  I have four that I mined with.  Only one had bad fans, I did the online RMA and they sent fans (I did not send in card) within 9 days.  These cards cost me less to buy then most, so they paid off more quickly.   XFX warranty service is not super fast, but they came through for me. 

philips

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 01:46:38 AM

I suppose you have them in a proper colder environment?
What I can say about these cards is that they are pretty good with cooling and noise up to a certain temperature.
Past that point they fail badly while others (blower type) keep going safely.

They could be very good gaming cards, I believe. Cool and silent, exactly what you want in your gaming PC.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2013, 03:09:42 AM

I suppose you have them in a proper colder environment?
What I can say about these cards is that they are pretty good with cooling and noise up to a certain temperature.
Past that point they fail badly while others (blower type) keep going safely.

They could be very good gaming cards, I believe. Cool and silent, exactly what you want in your gaming PC.

Yes.  They are bad for high density mining but ok when properly cooled.  Again, new they tend to be lower cost.  If I could get a reference card at the same price I would pick the reference.  As a single gaming card they work well and are quieter.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: