Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 07:42:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Stanford University Class Project to Create Bitcoin Crowdfunding Websites  (Read 1408 times)
Rob768 (OP)

Activity: 324
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 07:24:39 PM

Interesting that one of the biggest schools for startups has an entire class which will ask students to create a bitcoin operated crowdfunding platform:

http://crowdfundingforum.com/showthread.php/6209-Stanford-Class-Project-Create-Bitcoin-Crowdfunding-SIte
_mr_e
Legendary

Activity: 817
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 07:45:51 PM

Makes me wish I was still in school...
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2013, 07:56:51 PM

Yeah, right. The Stanford course syllabus doesn't even mention Bitcoin.
SamS

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 08:21:36 PM

You can take this course from Coursera right now -- Startup Engineering.

Bitcoin: 16i8sQWjZo3QPhhSfWupJff5PtwTxxpRJJ
Ripple:  rL7mRCDYBXsVSM2obdvEjwft5fPUmxv3ra
CKJ411

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 07:56:22 AM

I'm enrolled in the course. It does in fact end with a contest where you must create a website that solicits funding for an idea that accepts Bitcoin. The sites will then be judges based on their own merit and the ideas merit in a contest judged by some Silicon Valley elite. Honestly, I'm not sure what I think of it, since the contest portion which is judged partially on Bitcoin collected can easily be manipulated by a single individual that already possesses a store of Bitcoin.
richard_dein

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 11:23:43 AM

Really stanford? Your going to create an idea that has been down over and over, and can be killed off when scripting is turned on in the bitcoin protocol, which is when the high and mighty Gavin decides. But seriously stanford I would expect a lot better from a great school.

Like the economy isn't small enough. Brilliant minds yet limited by the box their professor forces them to be in.

You sound rather unimaginative, not really well qualified to make that sort of comment in the end.

The goal is to show people the ropes of basic e-commerce. Everything starts small. Don't sound as if Stanford shouldn't have courses for basic C++. Like you won't be developing a fully secure and scalable transaction system as a beginner - it's more like a professional  project that requires many people, a lot of experience, immense engineering, and knowledge of the real world. Using fiat also creates complications for this online course that's meant for people in and out of Stanford, and certainly in and out of the USA.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: