Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:10:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Might occur at very low chance, Safety precautions to prevent Rig on fire?  (Read 259 times)
puremage111 (OP)

Activity: 1568
Merit: 511

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2017, 07:43:38 AM

Hello guys

Although Rig goes on fire might occur at a very minimal and very slight chances but what shall i deal with it?

So i just bought my rig weeks ago, and just placed it on my third floor yesterday.

The average Temp up there are at least + 10 Celsius compare to my room which the rig will be range around 70-80 Celsius

6 of my Rx470 are on
-1210 Core Cloak
-1900 Memory Clock
- 30-40% Fan Speed

My Rig is the wood type of rig like the wood frame we normally see.
Hence my questions here

1) It Is very likely that fire will happen although it may be rare, however which parts of the Rig Component will causes it? Will power supply goes on fire? Will the GPU gets too hot and the wood starts to burn up?

2) As we know wood is a bad fire resistance material, My house 3rd floor is made of wooden texture, which the floor is purely made of wood, should i put something inflammable right below my rig?

Thanks for helping, because i can't just risk my rig to burn off the house that is not payed by me  Wink
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cryptojanne

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 07:57:42 AM

I got one fire detector inside each rig. But that does not help if im not home. I also walk around thinking about this sometime.
puremage111 (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2017, 08:42:13 AM

I got one fire detector inside each rig. But that does not help if im not home. I also walk around thinking about this sometime.

Yeah exactly what im worrying about, perhaps if i went out somewhere and someone is at first floor, they would not notice if the 3rd floor goes on problem

Hmmmm, something shall be done there  Roll Eyes
kapipindot

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 09:10:44 AM

1) It Is very likely that fire will happen although it may be rare, however which parts of the Rig Component will causes it? Will power supply goes on fire? Will the GPU gets too hot and the wood starts to burn up?

Parts of the rig that might catch fire;
1. GPU - since this is the most stressed part, I think that faulty gpu fan might atleast cause the fire
2. Risers - as we all know, there are no legitimate manufacturers of these
3. PSU connectors - I've seen somewhere in the forum that a connector melted due to the electric load
4. Motherboard - choose the one with solid state capacitors

I think it is good putting some fire resistant materials under your rig.
Also if possible, to lower the temp, you may put additional electric fan or blower in front of your rig.
If there are any windows, you may open that to improve ventillation.
solosequenosenada

Activity: 952
Merit: 542

Freedom dies from suicide

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 09:23:57 AM

According to my experience if you stay in the safe ranges in PSU, risers and cables it is very unlikely that something will burn. The rigs should be on a fireproof surface
The electrical boards should cut the power supply in case of short circuit
leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 09:28:33 AM

Hello guys

Although Rig goes on fire might occur at a very minimal and very slight chances but what shall i deal with it?

So i just bought my rig weeks ago, and just placed it on my third floor yesterday.

The average Temp up there are at least + 10 Celsius compare to my room which the rig will be range around 70-80 Celsius

6 of my Rx470 are on
-1210 Core Cloak
-1900 Memory Clock
- 30-40% Fan Speed

My Rig is the wood type of rig like the wood frame we normally see.
Hence my questions here

2) As we know wood is a bad fire resistance material, My house 3rd floor is made of wooden texture, which the floor is purely made of wood, should i put something inflammable right below my rig?

Thanks for helping, because i can't just risk my rig to burn off the house that is not payed by me  Wink

Aside from faulty components such as GPU, Risers, Mainboards and PSU, you should should check your Electrical wirings and Circuit breakers, I'd experienced a heating wires and breakers in my box before, redoing all of the rooms electrical wires upgrading to 8AWG
puremage111 (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2017, 12:09:06 PM

Parts of the rig that might catch fire;
1. GPU - since this is the most stressed part, I think that faulty gpu fan might atleast cause the fire
2. Risers - as we all know, there are no legitimate manufacturers of these
3. PSU connectors - I've seen somewhere in the forum that a connector melted due to the electric load
4. Motherboard - choose the one with solid state capacitors

Also if possible, to lower the temp, you may put additional electric fan or blower in front of your rig.
If there are any windows, you may open that to improve ventillation.

Any suggestion there?

Brick Below the rig? Tongue
I am thinking to stack like few bricks below the wooden rig, but i am not sure if its working tho
ARTRN

Activity: 63

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 12:16:53 PM

You might want to have a look at this https://www.amazon.com/Extinguisher-Suppression-Device-Safety-Product/dp/B01JVXFQ6E
Some mining farm I know have these on.
cryptojanne

Activity: 42

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 12:21:19 PM

You might want to have a look at this https://www.amazon.com/Extinguisher-Suppression-Device-Safety-Product/dp/B01JVXFQ6E
Some mining farm I know have these on.

A fireball?  Grin What does it do? Do i put it inside my miner, and when fire erupts it explodes and extinquish the fire?
Lieldoryn

Activity: 630
Merit: 272

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 12:31:35 PM

My rigs have been working for more than 2 years. There is never any problems. Before connecting your equipment to the network you need to make sure that you will have no excess capacity. Near rigs should not be inflammable subjects. Your equipment must stand on tile. That's all security measures. Your installation should not be heated to such temperature. My chips are not heated above 55 degrees.
Coinanalysis.io

Activity: 47

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2017, 12:33:52 PM

If you want to go for overkill, install a system that pumps CO2 in the room (its non flammable) when there is a fire.

Alternatively, put the Miner on a nonflammable surface and surround it wich such to contain the possible fire.
newfulluser

Activity: 267
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 12:34:30 PM

Do NOT use molex to sata to power risers.

If you still need to use them, cut the yellow wire that goes to the sata end and solder it to a spare 12v gpu plug, that way the sata connector is only supplying 5v and the 12v doesn't (the one that will burn the sata connector if it's a cheap low quality one)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: