Bitcoin Forum
June 07, 2024, 11:56:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: new feature - bitcoin v.9  (Read 4440 times)
superduh (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 01:20:01 AM

http://thegenesisblock.com/significant-merchant-improvements-planned-for-bitcoin-v0-9/

seems like innovation is continuing. what do people think? what should be added to v1?

ok
hodginsa

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 01:34:21 AM

Figure out a way for late adopters to not have to download +8gb of data when they first start Bitcoin-qt.
doobadoo

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 03:27:23 PM

Figure out a way for late adopters to not have to download +8gb of data when they first start Bitcoin-qt.

SHHH....Don't talk about that.  No one is allowed!  Rule #1 of Bitcoin is that you don't talk about the blockchain size.  Rule #2 of Bitcoin...

Oh now its over 10 gb now, btw...  But I just broke rules there..

"It is, quite honestly, the biggest challenge to central banking since Andrew Jackson." -evoorhees
readonlyaccess

Activity: 48

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 03:32:33 PM

SHHH....Don't talk about that.  No one is allowed!  Rule #1 of Bitcoin is that you don't talk about the blockchain size.  Rule #2 of Bitcoin...

There is a team of people actively working on the scalability issue by introducing indexing.
TippingPoint
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 03:33:38 PM

Everything is relative.  The blockchain size is very small compared to the number of stars in the universe, and the download time is very short compared to the time it takes to grow an oak tree from an acorn.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 04:12:49 PM

There is a team of people actively working on the scalability issue by introducing indexing.

A whole team? Do u know their names?
Big Toe

Activity: 28

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 05:43:12 PM

Everything is relative wont make to much difference.
QuantPlus

Activity: 280

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 05:43:58 PM

Everything is relative.  The blockchain size is very small compared to the number of stars in the universe, and the download time is very short compared to the time it takes to grow an oak tree from an acorn.

Ya man, DOS was great... Windows and the internet ruined everything.
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 09:37:44 PM

10 GB can be stored on a 2007 low-end Zune, so I see no issue with the blockchain size. If you can't hold it, either get some better software or use a lite client.
IIOII
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1012

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 10:20:04 PM

10 GB can be stored on a 2007 low-end Zune, so I see no issue with the blockchain size. If you can't hold it, either get some better software or use a lite client.

Disagree. Any software should aim at reducing resource requirements where technically feasible. And 10 GB is a lot for what is from most users viewpoint a simple tool for managing transactions.

All bitcoin users I know are unsatisfied with blockchain space requirements and download times. On the other hand the majority of them does not want to use lite clients as they prefer full control over verification.

Reducing the blockchain size and thereby improving performance of the reference client will clearly be a huge benefit.
Singlebyte

Activity: 854

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 10:37:13 PM

10 GB block chain size is an issue.  We are only 4 years into the use of bitcoin with relatively low amount of transactions.  Fast forward 10-15 years once bitcoin is main stream, and block size definitely could become a major issue.  It would be nice if a "new" genesis block could be created every 5 years or so.  All the past transactions could be rolled up into an offline archive.  The block chain size also becomes an issue for mobile (phones) devices.  Nobody wants to download a 25-50 GB file before they can use their phone wallet.
Lohoris

Activity: 630

Bitgoblin

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 10:41:52 PM

It would be nice if a "new" genesis block could be created every 5 years or so.  All the past transactions could be rolled up into an offline archive.  The block chain size also becomes an issue for mobile (phones) devices.  Nobody wants to download a 25-50 GB file before they can use their phone wallet.
This is a whole bag of nonsense.

1LohorisJie8bGGG7X4dCS9MAVsTEbzrhu
DefaultTrust is very BAD.
r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 10:42:55 PM

10 GB block chain size is an issue.  We are only 4 years into the use of bitcoin with relatively low amount of transactions.  Fast forward 10-15 years once bitcoin is main stream, and block size definitely could become a major issue.  It would be nice if a "new" genesis block could be created every 5 years or so.  All the past transactions could be rolled up into an offline archive.  The block chain size also becomes an issue for mobile (phones) devices.  Nobody wants to download a 25-50 GB file before they can use their phone wallet.

in 10 or 15 years, we will have 50 gb/ps connections, and the block chain will likely download in 15-20 minutes.

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
Singlebyte

Activity: 854

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 11:12:10 PM

Care to explain your comment?  Or are you trolling with worthless comments?

I didn't say it was possible, just that it would be beneficial to truncate old transactions periodically.

50gb of 10 year old transactions on everyone's computers is nonsense.  
Lohoris

Activity: 630

Bitgoblin

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 12:04:24 AM

Care to explain your comment?
"offline archives" makes no sense: if I download the blockchain I want it all, otherwise I could just use a thin client.
the comment about the phones make no sense either: thinking about using a full client on a phone is just insane.

1LohorisJie8bGGG7X4dCS9MAVsTEbzrhu
DefaultTrust is very BAD.
xavier

Activity: 260

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 12:32:55 AM

Hahahaaha

So true

+1
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 01:53:17 AM

Disagree. Any software should aim at reducing resource requirements where technically feasible. And 10 GB is a lot for what is from most users viewpoint a simple tool for managing transactions.

All bitcoin users I know are unsatisfied with blockchain space requirements and download times. On the other hand the majority of them does not want to use lite clients as they prefer full control over verification.

Reducing the blockchain size and thereby improving performance of the reference client will clearly be a huge benefit.

If people would expend 32 GB for a simple tool for entertaining oneself, I find 10 GB for a revolutionary financial transmission technology perfectly acceptable.

Of course, I don't deny that reducing blockchain size would be useful. However, I do find it very low priority and believe the project would be better served with security, usability, and internationalization updates.
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2013, 08:42:04 AM

* Bandwidth throttling,

* Save a copy of wallet to ... (USB, /desktop/, ...)
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 09:23:25 AM

Use a web wallet. Problem solved.

Yes, there are tradeoffs, but everything in life is about tradeoffs.
mistermint

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 09:57:02 AM

A whole team? Do u know their names?

Nah, they've not been indexed yet.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: