Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:41:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL (BF Labs Inc; Butterfly Labs) officially refusing to refund their customers.  (Read 18249 times)
sneef

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 11:24:18 PM

But that's the definition of a scam.  It isn't just: "take a bunch of money and disappear with it all."  

Lots of cons and frauds run with some getting return - maybe big return.  That's how they stay in business.  

It's called partial reinforcement scheduling.  If you want to keep 50 sheep at the fence, feed two some grain, then stay in sight of all of them, and they'll all stay, hoping they get theirs.

What you are describing is a Ponzi.
A scam is, most often, where everyone gets fucked.

BFL is certainly a Ponzi, and i suspect before too long they will pack up shop and move to Costa Rica, or the FTC will kick down the door and seize everything.

Either way, i feel like i got bent over the table.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 02:22:44 AM

But that's the definition of a scam.  It isn't just: "take a bunch of money and disappear with it all."  

Lots of cons and frauds run with some getting return - maybe big return.  That's how they stay in business.  

It's called partial reinforcement scheduling.  If you want to keep 50 sheep at the fence, feed two some grain, then stay in sight of all of them, and they'll all stay, hoping they get theirs.

BFL is certainly a Ponzi, and i suspect before too long they will pack up shop and move to Costa Rica, or the FTC will kick down the door and seize everything.

If you have ordered from BFL and have not yet received your product, you are entitled to a refund whenever you request one (per FTC rules).
First ask BFL for one, they will probably say no but you might get lucky.
If you ordered via PayPal you can file a complaint with them even if you are outside the 45 day window. One customer has already gotten a refund from PayPal that was outside the 45 days.
If you ordered via BTC or Bank wire, you can fill out a complaint with the FTC and they will advocate for you with BFL to get your refund.

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2013, 06:21:49 AM

Now what, playing the sentimental game? Want a tap on the back, good boy? wtf Larry the "afro-american"? Is that some special qualification?

I was only pointing out that Larry is an Afro-American. At the age of five he was severely beaten by his step-dad of which never served a single day behind bars for his actions.

In response to the rest of your post, the intent of my post was NOT to seek any sentimental recognition.

So, no, it's not some special qualification.

Care to play again?
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2013, 06:25:29 AM

If you have ordered from BFL and have not yet received your product, you are entitled to a refund whenever you request one (per FTC rules).
If you ordered via PayPal you can file a complaint with them even if you are outside the 45 day window. One customer has already gotten a refund from PayPal that was outside the 45 days.
If you ordered via BTC or Bank wire, you can fill out a complaint with the FTC and they will advocate for you with BFL to get your refund.

More people need to read this!

HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 10:49:10 AM

Another guy, named Larry (an Afro-American), just started coming around to speaking again since being dramatized at a younger age

Dramatized?  TV play, movie, or stage show?

I think you meant traumatized.   Tongue
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2013, 05:19:19 PM

Another guy, named Larry (an Afro-American), just started coming around to speaking again since being dramatized at a younger age

Dramatized?  TV play, movie, or stage show?

I think you meant traumatized.   Tongue

Josh was right! I'm losing it.

<In the voice of Josh>

The second time Bruno "The Drama Queen" has spoken a truism.
JerimiahJohnson

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 05:51:25 PM

I placed my order with BFL over a year ago, at this point it just makes me laugh when I think about it, I guess I expect that some day it will show up but we are going on 13 months now...  we are past the point of ridiculous.

In my opinion, if you place an order with BFL now, your hardware will be useless by the time you get it (due to extremely high difficulty). There really is no point.

Coming soon the Cointamination 16 65nm Chip BFL CLone Board.
Board Hashing: http://bit.ly/1cXs5Rt
vcsmith

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 11:52:33 PM

PayPal turned me down within minutes. The reason stated was "This dispute closed because it was opened for more than 45 days after the transaction date or did not meet other filing criteria."

PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 11:59:01 PM

I placed my order with BFL over a year ago, at this point it just makes me laugh when I think about it, I guess I expect that some day it will show up but we are going on 13 months now...  we are past the point of ridiculous.

In my opinion, if you place an order with BFL now, your hardware will be useless by the time you get it (due to extremely high difficulty). There really is no point.
You spent 1/50th of your life waiting for that BFL hardware. How does it feel compared to your Avalon purchase time?
k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 12:35:29 AM

PayPal turned me down within minutes. The reason stated was "This dispute closed because it was opened for more than 45 days after the transaction date or did not meet other filing criteria."

In light of your experience, your mileage may vary. It is important to try PayPal first because that is the easiest route to getting your money back.

Your next step would be to fill out the form at the FTC noting that you ordered a product X number of days ago and that BFL has still not shipped it to you. When you asked for a refund, BFL refused.

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
vcsmith

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 01:02:14 AM

Your next step would be to fill out the form at the FTC noting that you ordered a product X number of days ago and that BFL has still not shipped it to you. When you asked for a refund, BFL refused.

Maybe. I contacted PayPal by phone and received the same response, even though I am also a long-time account holder.  PayPal did promise to contact BFL and ask them to ship my order--for whatever that's worth.

My next step has been to contact PayPal's fraud department to point out the blatant and ongoing violation of their terms of service for pre-order sales.  I believe this is BFL's Achilles heel.  BFL needs PayPal.

Of course, my complaints would certainly carry more weight if other BFL victims would follow suit.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2013, 01:05:04 AM

How many individual FTC claims does it take before they open an internal investigation?
Loredo

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 02:05:01 AM

My next step has been to contact PayPal's fraud department to point out the blatant and ongoing violation of their terms of service for pre-order sales.

Of course, my complaints would certainly carry more weight if other BFL victims would follow suit.
Would you (or anyone else who knows of this) please elaborate on the highlighted statement?  
vcsmith

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 03:44:42 AM

My next step has been to contact PayPal's fraud department to point out the blatant and ongoing violation of their terms of service for pre-order sales.

Would you (or anyone else who knows of this) please elaborate on the highlighted statement?  

From PayPal's FAQ:

Does PayPal permit transactions for pre-sale items?

A pre-sale item is advertised for sale before the seller actually has the item. Often, these items are sold before they are available to the general public.

A seller might use the money from the pre-sale of an item to purchase the item.

PayPal permits pre-sales on a limited basis as long as the seller:

Guarantees shipment within 20 days from the date of purchase.
    Clearly identifies the item as a pre-sale.
    Provides proof, if needed, that they can successfully deliver the product (supplier information, purchase invoices, shipping information, or delivery confirmation).

The PayPal rep I spoke with agreed with my assessment that BFL is violating the TOS.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2013, 05:18:19 AM

From PayPal's FAQ:

Does PayPal permit transactions for pre-sale items?

A pre-sale item is advertised for sale before the seller actually has the item. Often, these items are sold before they are available to the general public.

A seller might use the money from the pre-sale of an item to purchase the item.

PayPal permits pre-sales on a limited basis as long as the seller:

Guarantees shipment within 20 days from the date of purchase.
    Clearly identifies the item as a pre-sale.
    Provides proof, if needed, that they can successfully deliver the product (supplier information, purchase invoices, shipping information, or delivery confirmation).

The PayPal rep I spoke with agreed with my assessment that BFL is violating the TOS.

It seems to me that PayPal is breaking their ToS by allowing BFL to continue to use their services. I'm sure PayPal would not like to open themselves up to a lawsuit when one of BFL's miners catches fire and kills a baby.
DPoS

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 05:30:22 AM

they can just ship you a box of fans real quick and then put you in warranty hell

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
vcsmith

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 05:49:46 AM

they can just ship you a box of fans real quick and then put you in warranty hell

True, and that will make for a great "unboxing" video.  I don't expect to ever receive a product from BFL, but I'm not laying down for them.

Everyone seems focused on lighting a fire under BFL.  I say, light the fire under PayPal and maybe they can help BFL find their checkbook.

PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 06:14:42 AM

True, and that will make for a great "unboxing" video.  I don't expect to ever receive a product from BFL, but I'm not laying down for them.

Everyone seems focused on lighting a fire under BFL.  I say, light the fire under PayPal and maybe they can help BFL find their checkbook.

I am with you, what did the fraud department say they would do next?
dominicus

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 07:02:14 AM

PayPal isn't ignorant about BFL non-compliance with ToS.  They've been aware of the issue for months.

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/blogs/bfl_jody/137-first-most-boring-update.html#comment1600

Unclear if this was a one-time verification they requested, or if this is something they continue to "manage".

Help me troubleshoot my BTC address.
Send some coins here: 1FkQS1RuEmSppCPdGPVGHtc4aj2nBiHAYF
If I don't return your test transfer, it must be having issues still.
vcsmith

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 07:13:13 AM

PayPal isn't ignorant about BFL non-compliance with ToS.  They've been aware of the issue for months.

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/blogs/bfl_jody/137-first-most-boring-update.html#comment1600

Unclear if this was a one-time verification they requested, or if this is something they continue to "manage".

It looks like we need to keep the pressure on PayPal, as that seems to be the only thing getting BFL to actually ship units.

FYI: fraud@paypal.com

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: