Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:45:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Empowermentors Collective for intersectionally marginalized POC  (Read 684 times)
phillipsjk (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2013, 01:58:54 AM

I have been asked to spread the word about "a skillshare, activism, and discussion network for intersectionally marginalized people of color in the free culture and free software movement."

I had to look up a few terms:
Person of color
Intersectionally

Quote from: Kyra
The Empowermentors Collective is a skillshare, activism, and discussion network for intersectionally marginalized people of color in the free culture and free software movement. We see radical potential in free culture and free software (often marketed as "open source software") to work against ableism, racism, cissexism, heterosexism, sexism, and classism.

We say "intersectionally marginalized" to refer to people of color who experience intersectionality, that is, the interactions of multiple systems of oppression. This means we are open to all people of color with disabilities, trans* people of color, queer people of color, women of color, class oppressed people of color, etc.

We are called Empowermentors because we focus on sharing knowledge and technical skills, producing free software and free media, and learning about and from each other. In this way we are being mentors for one another to empower ourselves.

This is not a space for white allies. We do not (yet) have plans for such a space, but appreciate any support and help spreading the word!
- http://kxra.info/page/view-page-slug/2/please-signal-boost-the-empowermentors-collective

I decided to post this here since Bitcoin is a very important free-software project. While the board is mostly populated by white males (as far as I know), somebody may find this information interesting.

Please keep any questions respectful.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: