Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 01:47:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Got an Avalon today.....don't know what to do!!!! (how to set it up)  (Read 4017 times)
Bitconian (OP)

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 06:01:54 AM

Hey there,

I got my Avalon batch 2 today and I thought it'd be plug&play, but it is not Sad   and I can't set it up right!

I read the posts, the wiki, and everything I could find on the internet............and I still can't configure it.

what should I do?  I had an avalon for 24h just laying there doing nothing  Shocked Shocked

I did this:
  • Connect your laptop to the eithernet port of the Avalon
    Setup your laptop IP address 192.168.0.101
    Open http://192.168.0.100
    Make sure WR703N can access Internet, Configure WiFi: Network -> WIFI -> Scan(select your WIFI network) -> Join Network -> WPA passphrase -> Submit -> Save & Apply for connect to WIFI Internet
    setup your mining worker: Status -> Cgminer Configuration.
    Stop then Start the cgminer service (Restart not working. it's a known bug): System -> Startup,
    Check your avalon status: Status -> Cgminer Status
    Setup password/using ssh
    ssh root@192.168.0.100 #

but when I change the IP, I lose my internet connection.

I usually use GUIMiner, but it doens't recognize the avalon. Tried Bitminter.....nothing, it doesn't get the avalon either.

Please, please, what should I do to make it mine?   what is the easiest, simplest, way to configure it? Huh

thank you so much!!
B.

You can make me smile Smiley
1GEUEBTm6XfRuqAswrR6LbofnMq6VN5A5P
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Ubachef

Activity: 66

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 06:05:19 AM

I got my Avalon batch 2 today and I thought it'd be plug&play, but it is not Sad   and I can't set it up right!

No worries. I'll buy it. 100BTC
dogjunior

Activity: 407
Merit: 255

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 06:10:36 AM

Is your network interface setup for DHCP or Static? If it is setup for DHCP then you have a problem with your home wireless router.
Bitconian (OP)

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 06:13:48 AM

Is your network interface setup for DHCP or Static? If it is setup for DHCP then you have a problem with your home wireless router.

It's DHCP.  But I connected everything by LAN.  doesn't work that way?

iANDROID

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Swiss Money all around me!

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 06:16:55 AM

Windows?
Open cmd and write "ipconfig"
CrazyGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1973
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 06:22:23 AM

Were you able to connect to the network via wifi? You should be able to maintain an ethernet connection to your laptop at the same time as Wifi. At that point, you can jot down the wifi IP address, unplug your ethernet cable and you are good to go. If you prefer to use ethernet, logon via wifi and setup ethernet interface to use DHCP.

ASICPuppy.net ASIC Mining Hardware and Accessories - Compac F in stock!
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 06:29:48 AM

if you changed the ip address to a different subnet, ie, a different # other than zero in 192.168.0.100, then your laptop will expectedly not be able to see the avalon once changed.
Bitconian (OP)

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 06:30:17 AM

Were you able to connect to the network via wifi? You should be able to maintain an ethernet connection to your laptop at the same time as Wifi. At that point, you can jot down the wifi IP address, unplug your ethernet cable and you are good to go. If you prefer to use ethernet, logon via wifi and setup ethernet interface to use DHCP.

sorry to be so ignorant....but, could you tell me how to do that?

I'm not using a laptop, it's a PC and I don't have wifi on my PC, everything goes through the router.

Detritus

Activity: 295
Merit: 98

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 06:41:17 AM

You are missing the basic point here....

The avalon does not come configed to connect to your home network the way your PC does. It comes with a fixed IP address on the 192.168.0 subnet.
Before you can start mining with the unit you need to configure it to connect to your home network, probably via DHCP, or you may want to give it a static address on the same subnet as your PC so you can always get to the avalon web interface at the same address. Until you do this, the avalon can not talk to the internet and get work.

To make this configure change you are going to temporarily put your PC on the same subnet as the factory defined default of the avalon and cable your pc and the avalon to the same ethernet hub. During this time you will not be able to get to the internet because you and the avalon will not be on the same subnet as your router.  So this is wherre you change the address of your PC to 192.168.0.101. Once you do that you can reach the avalon with a web browser at http://192.168.0.100

Go into the web setup page. It will have you create a password for the OpenWrt router biult into the avalon. After you do that go into the network configuration page and set interface settings there to something that will work with your home networks settings. Use the wired interface on the avalon if at possible, but it does have a wireless interface you can setup now as well, but you will have to provide an anntenna. So if your desktop PC normally gets an dhcp address like 192.168.1.100 you need to give the avalon an address on the same subnet, something like 192.168.1.200, you also need to tell it the address of your gateway (your router) and a dns server. If that's to complex for you let it do DHCP. Then hit the save & reset button on the web interface. The avalon will reboot and if you've done everything right it will come up on your home network ready to talk to the internet. Reset the IP on your PC back it's regular settings and try to connect to the address of the avalon with your web browser. You should get the web based user interface on your home network now.

The you can go in in and give your pool information and worker info and it'll start mining on it's own.

If this doesn't make any sense to you print out a copy of this message and bring it to your local high school and show it to the kids with the thickest glasses until you find one who understands it and give him $50 to come set up your rig.
dogjunior

Activity: 407

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 06:47:22 AM

Login to your router and it should show what ip address it has given to the Avalon. From your first post you have setup it up to use Wifi.  Go to your pc and reset the ip address back to DHCP then put in the ip address of your Avalon into your web browser. You should get the web interface for the Avalon. Login and then your can check the cgminer stats and setup pools.
NiteShdw

Activity: 69

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 06:48:40 AM

If you've set it to DHCP like you've said and then connected it to your router, your router will assign the box an IP address from the available range.  In order to log into the device and begin configuring it, you're going to need to open your router's admin page and get a list of the existing devices.  You should see an entry in there for the Avalon box.  When you setup DHCP, the system asks you for a machine name, that's what you'll see in your router's client list.

Once you find the IP address that was assigned by your router, go to http://ipaddress/ and being configuring your avalon.

If you need additional assistance, PM me and I can do a screen share session with you to help you through the process.
Bitconian (OP)

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 06:58:56 AM

Thank you all

I don't know what I did, but ........ is it working?

http://fotos.subefotos.com/39240cbf772cbbf23c70835a843fc1fdo.jpg

it's making a biiiig noise! Smiley

but I haven't installed Cgminer....should I?

how can I install the new firmware?

thanks all!
B.

Bitconian (OP)

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 07:02:59 AM

in the image I posted it says 70Gh, now I got 75Gh, but when I go to Slush pool site, there, it says that my worker is working 15Gh

Detritus

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 07:06:41 AM

Yeah, it's hashing... give it some time for the number to stablize.

It's already got cgminer on it, that's whats hashing for you now.

You might want to update to ckolivas latest images and give it some basic options on the configuration screen like "--quiet  --avalon-auto --avalon-freq 256-360 --avalon-fan 70-100"

Congrats, you did it. Smiley
monkee

Activity: 172

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 07:08:00 AM

what should I do?

I did this:
    Connect your laptop to the eithernet port of the Avalon
    Setup your laptop IP address 192.168.0.101

but when I change the IP, I lose my internet connection.
you changed your wifi adapter ip address instead of your ethernet adapter

try again and change the ip on the adapter that you are using to connect to the Avalon this time Wink[/list]
Bitconian (OP)

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 07:08:51 AM

Yeah, it's hashing... give it some time for the number to stablize.

It's already got cgminer on it, that's whats hashing for you now.

You might want to update to ckolivas latest images and give it some basic options on the configuration screen like "--quiet  --avalon-auto --avalon-freq 256-360 --avalon-fan 70-100"

Congrats, you did it. Smiley

wait wait wait....that's too much for me!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
I need it slowly and explanation step by step Smiley

I did it because of you! thank you all!  Honestly, I couldn't do it by myself

Smiley

Detritus

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 07:14:38 AM

ckolivas is the primary developer of cgminer and has update to date images of the avalon firmware for download...
http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/avalon/

You download one of the .bin's there to you PC. Go into the system /firmware area of the avalon web interface... Give the location of the image you downloaded, and tell it flash... then sit back for a few minutes while it works until the page reloads on it's own.  It will take a few minutes during which it doesn't look like it's doing anything. When the web interface comes back it will have rebooted with the new firmware.

The options go in the extra flags area of the cgminer config page. They give you a good start at letting the avalon auto tune itself to the fastest stable speed.
Bitconian (OP)

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 09:32:32 AM

ckolivas is the primary developer of cgminer and has update to date images of the avalon firmware for download...

You download one of the .bin's there to you PC. Go into the system /firmware area of the avalon web interface... Give the location of the image you downloaded, and tell it flash... then sit back for a few minutes while it works until the page reloads on it's own.  It will take a few minutes during which it doesn't look like it's doing anything. When the web interface comes back it will have rebooted with the new firmware.

The options go in the extra flags area of the cgminer config page. They give you a good start at letting the avalon auto tune itself to the fastest stable speed.

All working nice!

thanks all and specially Detritus!! Smiley

therustytrombone

Activity: 129

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 01:38:06 PM

All working nice!

thanks all and specially Detritus!! Smiley

Don't forget to tip those who helped you get your brand new custom hardware working. 
TheSwede75

Activity: 224

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 01:39:17 PM

Wow,
A entire thread of helpful, non-mocking, honest advice. What is this, 2012? Congratulations OP.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 02:42:09 PM

Wow,
A entire thread of helpful, non-mocking, honest advice. What is this, 2012? Congratulations OP.

this +1
polrpaul

Activity: 238

Love the Bitcoin.

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2013, 02:53:37 PM

Wow,

this +1

indeed.

BTC.sx - Leveraged Bitcoin Trading. Simply use Bitcoin to take advantage of a rising or falling Bitcoin price.
davecoin

Activity: 816
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 04:06:44 PM

Almost, you missed the first reply.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=251043.msg2666143#msg2666143
TheSwede75

Activity: 224

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 04:38:37 PM

Still not bad compared to the violent shit-talk-ghetto that threads tend to turn into nowadays.
jspielberg

Activity: 490

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 04:44:45 PM

Wow,

Someone lock it quick!  Shocked
Bitconian (OP)

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 08:02:28 PM

Don't forget to tip those who helped you get your brand new custom hardware working.  

Of course, they earned it Smiley

Bluebark

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 01:16:34 AM

Just what the Dr. order...what are tips going for these days?   Wink
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 04:23:29 AM

Wow,

LMAO!!!!! Right Huh  Cheesy

Congrats to all those helpful folks!!!!!!!!!!!  Wink

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: