Bitcoin Forum
July 06, 2024, 09:20:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: help with getting started  (Read 428 times)
knockout350 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 04:38:35 PM

hey i am new to this whole mining business (and not doing very well at it), i wanted to post this is the mining are but am restricted so i will just post here.

i currently have two computers what i want to use to mine (and a ps3 if i could figure out how to do it) but the problem is that i cant get the GPUs up and running in the mining programs. i am currently using bitminter only on CPUs obviously (barely braking 200khps combined, yes i know sad thats why im here) but i tried guiminer, 50 miner and diablo miner, none would work for some reason.

the computers i have are
Acer aspire 5920 with an inter core 2 duo t5550 and a nvidia geforce 9500 (tried to use cuda it would not install with nvidia software)

and a dell inspiron (a POS but it was free) with an intell pentium t4500 (no GPU i can tell of in this one)

i thought about trying to over clock them but was strongly advised against this since their both laptops but from where im standing  right now i will generate maybe 1 BTC a year (if electricity wasnt free this would be a huge negative profit margin but oh well). i really dont have the money to buy a $1000 new computer that would actually get me somewhere or even the cash to build my own unit (not to mention i know absolutely nothing about building or programing). so what i was wondering is if anyone knows how i could possibly get the GPUs into the equation to help bump up my speed or if you know of a cheap method to get some special hardware for it. (i have my eye on the butterfly labs ASIC stuff, the one for $260 but i dont really have that on hand either) any suggestions welcome, thanks
YOLOSWAG420HASHTAG

Activity: 9

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 04:45:17 PM

Don't even bother mining the sha256 with GPUs, you should try either mining FTC/ltc or if you can get your hands on an ASIC then you might be able to break even. You're a couple years late to the party.
knockout350 (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 04:57:59 PM

ya i know, i knew about btc several years ago i just never bothered to get into mining but i dont really understand litecoins as much. from what i can tell their cheaper and slightly easier to mine but less popular and i cant really find a good mining program for it.
c789

Activity: 850
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 05:35:31 PM

Check out this guide...it's what I used:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Gw7YPYgMgNNU42skibULbJJUx_suP_CpjSEdSi8_z9U/edit

(Complete Guide to Mine Bitcoin on Xubuntu)

Comparison of Privacy-Centric Coins: https://moneroforcash.com/monero-vs-dash-vs-zcash-vs-bitcoinmixers.php also includes Verge and Pivx
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: