Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:59:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I’ve sent BCH to BTC address  (Read 387 times)
skyland999 (OP)

Activity: 213
Merit: 13

Wonderful World

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 07:51:45 PM

Despite knowing that you should never send Bitcoin (BTC) to a Bitcoin Cash (BCH) address or vice versa, whilst in a rush on a very busy day I accidentally sent some BCH from my exchange account to a BTC address on my Trezor.
The BTC address was Segwit and according to the customer service of both the exchange (CEX) and the wallet (Trezor), it’s not possible to access the coins.

Do you know if there’s anything I can do to get my coins back?

thanks in advance!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2017, 02:17:37 AM
Last edit: December 04, 2017, 11:42:25 PM by BurtW

I did a similar thing and sent 2 BCH to a BTC address at an exchange.  The bastardos (Coinbase) have not given me the private key to that address (yet???).  If they ever do I can get my coins back by importing the private key into a BCH wallet.

Edit:  see my later post below.

On to your issue.  I don't understand them sending the BCH to a Segwit address.  Sounds fishy to me.  How did this get into the BCH block chain?  Please post the BCH transaction ID so we can look at it.

Anyway...

Theoretically you are in luck.  You just need the private key for the address you sent the BCH to.  This should have nothing to do with Segwit, depending on what happened in the transaction - which we will need to see.  You should just need the private key.

So, my suggestion would be:

1  Get another Trezor.
2  Set up the new Trezor (new seed - write them down as ususal, new xPUB, new xPRIV).
3  Move all your BTC, BCH, BTG, DASH, etc. from the old Trezor to the new Trezor.  This is needed because in a subsequent step below we are going to compromise all the private keys on your old Trezor.
4  Now, import the seed words from your now totally empty old Trezor into a compliant web based wallet.
5  You now should be able to access all the private keys created by the xPRIV/xPUB pair created by the seed words in your old wallet.
6  Find the private key that contains the BCH
7  Import that private key into a BCH wallet (coinomi, etc.)
8  Your lost BCH should magically appear.
9  Send the recovered BCH from the BCH wallet back to your BCH wallet on the new Trezor.

Keep the old Trezor as a back up in case you ever need to go through this process again.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
pinkflower

Activity: 868
Merit: 259

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 02:45:46 AM

About the issue, I would like to comment that something has to be done on the confusion between BTC forks. Any wallet, hardware or otherwise, should give the user enough warnings to make sure that they arent blindly sending BTC to BCH wallets.

If a coin is not a Bitcoin, the word Bitcoin should be removed and it should be labeled something else in the wallet.

Phalo

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 08:57:50 PM

Despite knowing that you should never send Bitcoin (BTC) to a Bitcoin Cash (BCH) address or vice versa, whilst in a rush on a very busy day I accidentally sent some BCH from my exchange account to a BTC address on my Trezor.
The BTC address was Segwit and according to the customer service of both the exchange (CEX) and the wallet (Trezor), it’s not possible to access the coins.

thanks in advance!

Yes, you will be able to recover your coins. Don't worry, your money is lost. Just follow the process posted above.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3290
Merit: 16556

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2017, 09:10:36 PM

On to your issue.  I don't understand them sending the BCH to a Segwit address.  Sounds fishy to me.  How did this get into the BCH block chain?  Please post the BCH transaction ID so we can look at it.
As far as I know SegWit addresses can just receive Bitcoin Cash funds. I'll be the first to admit I don't know the exact details, but There might be hope.
This is also a good thread to read: Recovering BCH sent to Segwit addresses

Any wallet, hardware or otherwise, should give the user enough warnings to make sure that they arent blindly sending BTC to BCH wallets.
Exchanges give those warnings, and yet, it happens.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2017, 11:41:36 PM

thanks in advance!

Yes, you will be able to recover your coins. Don't worry, your money is lost. Just follow the process posted above.

I just read up on the details of this fiasco and the procedure I outlined will not work.  It is much more complicated than that.

What it will take to get your funds back is a benevolent miner setting up a system to reclaim these funds that feeds directly into their mining system - kind of like their transaction accelerators.

Theoretically they could or would charge a fee for this service.

Now the bad news.  Reclaiming these funds requires your public key, yes, public key not private key.  So, if you have exposed the public key anyone with that public key can reclaim the funds (assuming they can talk a miner into mining the non-standard transaction needed to claim the funds).

So, if you are in this situation do not expose your public key.  That means you do not want to spend BTC from that address - that will expose the public key.  To avoid doing that do not sent BTC to the SegWit address!

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: