Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 03:24:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Solved: 6 RX 570/480/580 cards: Issues setting up rig PLEASE HELP!  (Read 682 times)
bigjee (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 107

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 09:40:31 PM
Last edit: December 05, 2017, 04:54:37 AM by bigjee

Hey folks,
I just got a second hand rig at a decent price and when I bought it I thought it would be easy to setup.
This is my first AMD rig (my 3 other rigs are all Nvidia) so please keep that in mind.

I am currently having issues getting all 6 cards detected.

Rig components are below:

3x RX 570 4GB
1x RX 480 4GB
1x RX 480 8GB
1x RX 580 8GB
All running Crimson 17.11.4 driver

Motherboard: ASUS H270 PLUS/CMS
CPU: intel Core i3
RAM: Hyper X Fury 4GB ddr4
HDD: seagate 1 tb
Risers: VER006C 6 pin PCIe
PSU: Thermaltake 1000w
OS: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit > upgraded to Windows 10 as per suggestions below.

Problem:
1) I have updated the BIOS and graphics driver (17.11.14) to the latest versions. But device manager showing issue with 2 of 6 cards (code 43).   Solved: Did a fresh install of Window 10. (not upgrade). using media creation tool. Then used DDU to do a clean "install and shutdown" after windows installed. Then installed blockchain crimson drivers and all 6 cards woking with tweaking in AB.  Cheesy
2) Claymore v9.8 give Open CL 4 error- cannot create DAG on GPU. > Solved by setting a 20GB virtual memory. I forgot to click "set" the first time
3) Very low hash rate 13MH/s on 4 cards.  Angry > Solved (see solution in 1))

Troubleshooting steps I tried so far:
-Tried blockchain drivers and they didnt help. Miner exits immediately.
-Updated motherboard BIOS to the latest version and enabled 4G encoding, PCI-e Gen1 (also tried Gen 2) and main graphics as PCIE.
-Removed all 5 cards and reinstall drivers with just 1 card. everything looked good until I added the 3rd card and launched Claymore which is giving Open CL error (windows installed fine)
-Then I installed the 4th card without any flag in windows device manager but Claymore is giving Open CL error
-When I tried installing card 5 windows didnt install drivers properly. Cant seem to get it correct.
-4G enabled after installing all 6 cards, Gen 2 PCie in Bios.
-Pixel patcher installed for driver signing.

Any help would be greatly appreciate.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
RealSwissMiner

Activity: 336
Merit: 15

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2017, 09:44:49 PM

Is the 4g (mining option when using more than 4 cards) enabled in the BIOS? If yes, disable it clean the drivers, reinstall them, make sure all cards work fine and only then reactivate the 4g option.
Today I actually went through the same procedure.

Mining and investment blog - https://swisscryptominer.blogspot.ch
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 09:47:24 PM

Follow this guide to change the settings in the Bios:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR-FkpU2KfI

Set at least 16GB virtual ram in Windows. If the cards have a modded Bios you need to run the pixel patcher to bypass the driver signature check or you will have code 43 error for the cards in Device Manager.

https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-AMD-ATI-Pixel-Clock-Patcher
bigjee (OP)

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 09:49:53 PM

Is the 4g (mining option when using more than 4 cards) enabled in the BIOS? If yes, disable it clean the drivers, reinstall them, make sure all cards work fine and only then reactivate the 4g option.

Thanks! Hope its didnt drive you insane.
I will disable 4G encoding and clean the drivers with DDU and then install all 6 cards (one at a time) and then enable 4G encoding at the very end.
Question: before I activate 4G encoding will all 6 cards be detected properly in device manager?
RealSwissMiner

Merit: 15

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2017, 10:01:37 PM

Thanks! Hope its didnt drive you insane.
I will disable 4G encoding and clean the drivers with DDU and then install all 6 cards (one at a time) and then enable 4G encoding at the very end.
Question: before I activate 4G encoding will all 6 cards be detected properly in device manager?

You will most likely only be able to see 5 off them while only 4 of them work properly. If you check the details for the card that has an error it normally says something about "not enough resources available". After enabling 4G encoding you will be able to see all of them.

Mining and investment blog - https://swisscryptominer.blogspot.ch
bigjee (OP)

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 10:17:01 PM

Set at least 16GB virtual ram in Windows. If the cards have a modded Bios you need to run the pixel patcher to bypass the driver signature check or you will have code 43 error for the cards in Device Manager.

Thanks!
I watched the video and its really helpful. I am currently trying with Gen 2 settings. Will report back.

bigjee (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 12:08:06 AM
Last edit: December 04, 2017, 12:24:24 AM by bigjee

Okay so I tried all the above suggestions and so far no luck.
2 of my 6 cards still giving issues.

dag file issue is gone but hashrate is very poor.

^ If I try and reinstall the 480s then I get a flag on the two other cards like seen below:

bigjee (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 12:15:29 AM

Ive run pixed patcher and rebooted. Should I run the drivers again on the two cards that arent being detected.

Update: It doesnt help as the error goes on two the other two cards.
Vann

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 12:55:44 AM

Windows 7 only supports up to 4 cards of the same brand (AMD or Nvidia). Update to Windows 10 for free while you can. The assitive technologies loophole ends on Dec. 31.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/microsoft-windows-10-free-upgrade-offer-assistive-features/

You also need to increase the clock speeds. Uncheck the option to synchronize settings across similar graphics cards in the Afterburner settings. Set the core clock to 1150 MHz on all the cards, 2000 MHz for the memory clock on the RX 570 and 2100 Mhz for the memory clock on the RX 480/580. You can also undervolt the cards -100 mv and set the power limit to -15%.
bigjee (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 02:38:04 AM

Windows 7 only supports up to 4 cards of the same brand (AMD or Nvidia). Update to Windows 10 for free while you can. The assitive technologies loophole ends on Dec. 31.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/microsoft-windows-10-free-upgrade-offer-assistive-features/

You also need to increase the clock speeds. Uncheck the option to synchronize settings across similar graphics cards in the Afterburner settings. Set the core clock to 1150 MHz on all the cards, 2000 MHz for the memory clock on the RX 570 and 2100 Mhz for the memory clock on the RX 480/580. You can also undervolt the cards -100 mv and set the power limit to -15%.

Are you sure? cus i have 6 nvidia cards running on win 7 same rig
Vann

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 02:44:27 AM

Apparently the 4 card limit in Windows 7 only applies to AMD

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=11677.msg166454#msg166454
bigjee (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 02:57:18 AM

Apparently the 4 card limit in Windows 7 only applies to AMD

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=11677.msg166454#msg166454

Thank you!
I'll start installing window 10 then.

side note the 1 rx 580 has samsung memory woot woot!
DrX

Activity: 233
Merit: 20

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 07:50:36 AM

You can use 6 card mod for windows 7.

https://lbr.id.lv/6xgpu_mod/

No need for windows 10.

I would check power consumption with watt meter.

I recommend bigger PSU.
bigjee (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 04:33:07 PM
Last edit: December 04, 2017, 04:45:27 PM by bigjee

No need for windows 10.

I recommend bigger PSU.

Damn wish I had seen this earlier.
Anyway my rig is still not properly detecting 2 of the 6 cards in Windows 10 now.

Its the two 480s that cause the rig to not boot up and crash. I had to "Reset PC" and disconnect the two 480s to get the rig going again.
Right now Im hashing at 20 mh/s on 4 cards only.  Sad
I did do an upgrade from Window 7 and not sure if I should re-install the Crimson drivers now that Im on windows 10.

meccaflare0

Merit: 250

Do the thing and you'll have the power.

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 04:47:50 PM

I'm going to help you out, I sent you a message Wink
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 05:08:16 PM

The answer is to stop wasting time with Windows and just setup a linux mining build. It is more stable and reliable without all the bullshit problems windows brings to the table.

I honestly dont understand why people support mining under windows.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
bigjee (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 07:57:20 PM

The answer is to stop wasting time with Windows and just setup a linux mining build. It is more stable and reliable without all the bullshit problems windows brings to the table.

I honestly dont understand why people support mining under windows.

I tried linux and no thank you.
Id rather adjust core clock and mem clocks on the fly rather than have them keyed in. Used Nvoc and never again.

Secondly I bought these cards second hand and they are stock bios which is easier to update with windows.
Maybe SMOS down the line as others have suggested but definitely not linux for me.
Vann

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 08:05:28 PM

No need for windows 10.

I recommend bigger PSU.

Damn wish I had seen this earlier.
Anyway my rig is still not properly detecting 2 of the 6 cards in Windows 10 now.

Its the two 480s that cause the rig to not boot up and crash. I had to "Reset PC" and disconnect the two 480s to get the rig going again.
Right now Im hashing at 20 mh/s on 4 cards only.  Sad
I did do an upgrade from Window 7 and not sure if I should re-install the Crimson drivers now that Im on windows 10.

You can go back to Windows 7 if you want. Just do a clean install and your Windows 7 product key will still work. Once you activate Windows 10, it registers your machine ID so you no longer need to enter a product key to activate it when you reinstall Windows 10 on the same machine. Just skip the part where it asks for the key during setup.

If you want to mine Ethash coins like Ethereum on Windows 10 v1709 (Fall Creators Update), you need to use the latest Crimson Relive 17.1x.x drivers and toggle to the 'compute' mode from 'gaming' for each card in AMD settings. If you are having problems installing the driver with all the cards connected to the motherboard, remove all the GPU drivers in safe mode using DDU and make sure to enable the option in DDU to disable the Windows automatic driver install. Then shutdown and connect only one card to the primary x16 PCI-E slot. Once you install the driver for the one card, shutdown and connect two more cards to the motherboard. Start the rig and wait until Windows detects the cards and installs the drivers automatically. It may take a while for the cards to show up in Device Manager. Wait and confirm in the Windows Task Manger there is no running instance of the Driver Installation Module running. Once the Driver Installation Module is no longer showing in Task Manager, shutdown and repeat the process, connecting two cards at a time until all the cards are shown in Device Manager.

With RX 470/480 or RX 570 cards, you will then need to use the pixel patcher to bypass the driver signature check with a modded Bios to remove the Code 43 error in Device Manager before the cards will work. Just run the patcher, reboot and verify all the cards are shown in Device Manager with no errors.

wacko
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 12:41:07 AM

Maybe SMOS down the line as others have suggested but definitely not linux for me.
SMOS is a linux-based OS. Smiley But yeah, I'm sticking to windows for mining rigs as well, it's just a more versatile system with more software choices available. And as far as I know there's just no way to even set fixed voltages for nvidia cards in linux as you can in windows with curves in msi ab or evga precision. Not that big a deal with amd cards though.

Your problem might be driver related, as was suggested before try uninstalling drivers with DDU (in safe mode), then install them again and patch with the atikmdag-patcher-1.4.6.
bigjee (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 01:34:19 AM

SMOS is a linux-based OS. Smiley But yeah, I'm sticking to windows for mining rigs as well, it's just a more versatile system with more software choices available. And as far as I know there's just no way to even set fixed voltages for nvidia cards in linux as you can in windows with curves in msi ab or evga precision. Not that big a deal with amd cards though.

Your problem might be driver related, as was suggested before try uninstalling drivers with DDU (in safe mode), then install them again and patch with the atikmdag-patcher-1.4.6.

Thanks. I meant ubuntu 16.04 and not linux in general.
Im just loading Windows 10 onto an ssd as i type this. Going to start off by installing Windows without a gpu. then take it step by step.
Will keep you posted; appreciate the help! Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: