Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 01:40:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you think it's a good idea?
Yes it's a good idea and I'll endorse or support it.
Yes it's a good idea but I will not endorse or support it.
It's not going to work.
I don't know, maybe?

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Idea: IQ test site which rewards highest IQ scorers in cryptocoins.  (Read 1670 times)
Luckybit (OP)

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 05:43:29 AM
Last edit: July 14, 2013, 09:00:37 PM by Luckybit

The idea here is to take Raven's progressive matrices and other culturally agnostic IQ tests and set it up so the higher the individual scores the more coins they get.

The highest scorer should receive a bounty of a basket of various crytocurrencies including Bitcoin, Litecoin, PPcoin, Primecoin, Novacoin etc. Only this bounty should not pay out all at once but at random times and amounts over a period of 1 month similar to how Devcoin receiver shares pay out.

The goal of this site should not be to make people compete with each other but to encourage people to surpass their previous highest score. The goal of the test should also be to provide incentive for people to take the IQ test in such a way that motivation is high prior to taking the test (low motivation can skew the test results). Finally the reward in a basket of cryptocoins would be to make the winners into stakeholders in the future of cryptocurrencies.

Please tear apart my idea. If you think it's a good idea you can tip me

BTC 1MMzmBAJHQogC759fF3xGK4dtbYVn96BgE
LTC LL3p9GnhH8HGtYSbwq6WQ1hSYvjWjAEwyH
JamesIV

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Live Stars - Adult Streaming Platform

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 01:04:44 PM

Sound like a good idea. I wouldn't want to participate because I would just embarrass everyone Tongue

Arn't IQ test culturally bias? ie. You need a different IQ test for Americans than you would for the British?

Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 3099

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2013, 01:48:53 PM

How would you control cheating?  Would the system generate different questions each time it was run?

https://nastyscam.com - featuring 13 years of OGNasty bitcoin scams     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming sooner than you think!
IIOII
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1012

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 05:04:25 PM

Rewarding those which score high on an IQ-test. What for?

To foster the ongoing abuse of IQ-testing to boost the self-esteem of a selected group of high scorers?

Better educate yourself on the history of IQ-testing, the limitations of interpretability of the IQ concept and of any test score per se.
Luckybit (OP)

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 07:34:15 PM
Last edit: July 07, 2013, 07:47:26 PM by Luckybit

How would you control cheating?  Would the system generate different questions each time it was run?

You add randomness by using a seed node. You take Raven's progressive matrices and if you have enough puzzles and they are shuffled like a deck of cards so that each time we play it's in random order then there is no way to cheat. You either get good at solving these types of puzzles or your IQ isn't high enough in that particular test.

I would include all kinds of tests though and not just the obvious type IQ test. Raven's progressive matrices don't include any words or language it's just puzzles so the bias is minimal but I admit there is a bias toward visual thinkers because these are visual questions. So I would include tests which test hearing, or empathy or anything else.

The point is to use these tests to generate stakeholders. The higher the score on these tests the larger the stake. The only real kind of cheating which wouldn't be easy to stop would be someone else taking the test on their behalf but honestly it should not be so serious of a test where we have to put people under surveillance as they take it. It should be more of a fun game which rewards highly intelligent highly empathetic or highly talented people (or at least people who are good at solving the puzzles and beating the tests).

Sound like a good idea. I wouldn't want to participate because I would just embarrass everyone Tongue

Arn't IQ test culturally bias? ie. You need a different IQ test for Americans than you would for the British?

It should be treated more like a brain game or brain exercise which rewards you as you gain more points. The points can be redeemed for cryptocoins.
Rewarding those which score high on an IQ-test. What for?

To foster the ongoing abuse of IQ-testing to boost the self-esteem of a selected group of high scorers?

Better educate yourself on the history of IQ-testing, the limitations of interpretability of the IQ concept and of any test score per se.

I know what IQ tests are and have scored highly and scored average before. I don't consider the IQ test to be a serious measure of intelligence but more like a game to keep the brain sharp. If you treat it like a game you'll find you'll score much higher than if you treat it like it's something real. The point is to turn IQ testing into a brain training game.

http://brainworkshop.sourceforge.net/

I'm not interested in politics. Just in giving people a way to earn coins by passing some kind of challenge similar to how Proof of Work allows the CPU to pass a challenge to mine coins. If it works then you'll score as high as you can on any test you take and your highest scores will be turned into shares which are redeemed for coins.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2013, 11:11:41 PM

Either I get pain in IQQoins if I win, or I'm not participating.

BTW, I like how that looks: IQQoins or iQQoins.
IIOII
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1012

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 04:37:43 PM

I know what IQ tests are and have scored highly and scored average before. I don't consider the IQ test to be a serious measure of intelligence but more like a game to keep the brain sharp. If you treat it like a game you'll find you'll score much higher than if you treat it like it's something real. The point is to turn IQ testing into a brain training game.

Of course you can "train" the brain to score higher on a specific intelligence test. This effect is mainly based on recall/recognition. But do not expect this effect to generalize at any significant amount to other intelligence tests.

The often proclaimend positive effects of "brain training" on intelligence are not supported by any sound scientific evidence. I.e. such effects do *not* generalize.

There is evidence however that regular physical excercise leads to some improvement of mental ability.

Why must it be an intelligence test? Can't it be something more interesting and useful?

You asked for tearing your idea apart. I'm just helping out. Smiley

Runescape

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 10:17:50 PM

Like this idea i think it would do good.
Luckybit (OP)

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 11:27:23 PM

Of course you can "train" the brain to score higher on a specific intelligence test. This effect is mainly based on recall/recognition. But do not expect this effect to generalize at any significant amount to other intelligence tests.

The often proclaimend positive effects of "brain training" on intelligence are not supported by any sound scientific evidence. I.e. such effects do *not* generalize.

There is evidence however that regular physical excercise leads to some improvement of mental ability.

Why must it be an intelligence test? Can't it be something more interesting and useful?

You asked for tearing your idea apart. I'm just helping out. Smiley

The idea starts with an intelligence test but in the future we can pay people to take personality tests or to give intimate details if there is a market. Sites like OKCupid do something like that. To elaborate, I think the IQ test should be marketed as brain training with the belief that if you keep challenging the brain that the brain keeps growing new connections, stays sharp, and stays plastic. This is something I believe and try to adhere to. In the future I would want to take this brain exercise to the next level and use it as a sort of mining or Proof of Work mechanism where an actual human being has to solve actual puzzles and if they get enough points they go into a lottery where the winner of the lottery gets the coins.

My opinion is supported by : http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2011/06/03/1103228108.abstract

hany103

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 03:00:35 PM

Awesome, rewards intelligent people Cheesy
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2013, 03:39:34 PM

If you can make IQ tests that aren't just for people who know mathematics and blatant propaganda then I'm all for it.
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2013, 03:45:48 PM

I wonder if this would really attract highly intelligent people at all - if your IQ is high enough then making money is actually not a problem (so not something you would need to enter a contest to do) - instead typically very IQ people are more interested in solving difficult problems or inventing things (such as Bitcoin).

There is no need to *reward* that as the people who are intelligent enough are already driven by their own desire to improve things (getting financial rewards for winning competitions is typically a far more low IQ thing).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
bolasoda

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 06:11:38 PM

excellent point^, but maybe it would be worth a try just to see what happens
Luckybit (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 09:04:28 PM

I wonder if this would really attract highly intelligent people at all - if your IQ is high enough then making money is actually not a problem (so not something you would need to enter a contest to do) - instead typically very IQ people are more interested in solving difficult problems or inventing things (such as Bitcoin).

There is no need to *reward* that as the people who are intelligent enough are already driven by their own desire to improve things (getting financial rewards for winning competitions is typically a far more low IQ thing).

That is a myth. Look at statistics and you'll see making money is a problem for most people whether high or low IQ.

People with high IQ's don't have more money than everyone else and may not even have jobs. But that is why we should attract them to these opportunities and concepts. Unemployed highly intelligent people with lots of free time to solve puzzles will also have free time to contribute to projects.

Financial reward is how people survive. There must always be a financial reward or how else do the market participants know or believe you value something? Saying that people should all work for free just for the joy of it is fine but time isn't free and neither is rent.

I think the let's convince smart people to work for free crowd don't grasp what cryptocurrencies can actually do. Let's work for free is a scam until the day where we all have plenty of money and time (and I don't know anyone with both money and time). Let's work for cryptocurrencies, and create money and time so that smart people can contribute more.
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2013, 09:37:46 PM

What if part of your reward was access to a forum with individuals of similar IQ? I could see this being very popular, kind of like adult swim time at the pool overrun by little pissers & screamers.
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2013, 12:58:39 AM
Last edit: July 15, 2013, 01:34:31 AM by CIYAM Open

That is a myth. Look at statistics and you'll see making money is a problem for most people whether high or low IQ.

This very much depends on economic circumstances - when economies are going well there is a lot more demand for jobs that *require* much higher than average IQ (think of lawyers, architects and surgeons) but of course in times of dire economic circumstances society generally needs more people on the factory line than to be payed large amounts of money to be in court or providing elective surgery so in such circumstances even people with very high IQ may find themselves without a job (although I would still argue they are more likely to be able to work out other ways of making income than people with below average intelligence).

BTW I think even those with average IQ are aware that statistics can be used to prove/disprove anything you like (which is why politicians love them so much).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 01:18:24 AM

could you please post a link or copy past one of these IQ tests you speak of

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2013, 01:26:42 AM

I think you might have made a mistake with your quoting (I am not the OP who I think you were probably meaning to address).

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3273

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 01:27:51 AM

Are you proposing a faucet for smart people? Why? What's the goal? Why can't stupid people get coins, too?

Also, where do the coins come from?

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 01:34:47 AM

I think you might have made a mistake with your quoting (I am not the OP who I think you were probably meaning to address).

am pretty sure i saw the term IQ in your post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligence_quotient

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: