Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 09:03:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Name some good stratergy games  (Read 5400 times)
u9y42
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1071

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 04:15:11 PM

What about Master of Orion II, or Space Empires V? Anyone here liked playing these types of games? (turn based strategy games, set in space)

MoO 2 was one of my favorite games for a long time, I might just have to go back and reinstall it!

I've spent way more time playing those games than I care to admit...  Roll Eyes particularly Space Empires, with its huge amount of options and ship components. Grin
Sutters Mill

Activity: 976
Merit: 575

Cryptophile at large

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 09:08:06 PM

Not sure if they've already been mentioned but Age of Empires are pretty good games. I also liked Halo Wars.
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2014, 09:46:00 AM

Stronghold and all related addons. This game has everything a good strategy should. Age of Empires series was also very good. I can also recommend a good old game named Incubation, not a typical strategy rather a tactical turn based shooter.

Did you notice games are getting more easy and noob friendly? Just look what they did to Red Alert 3 or Supreme Commander 2 - after playing the sequels I felt like the target audience was primary school, or maybe I'm just getting old Cheesy
Played Stronghold Crusader, so I gotta agree. Really fun and engaging. Some say it's the best Stronghold game and that other went downhill after that. Is it true?

Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 09:58:15 AM

Stronghold and all related addons. This game has everything a good strategy should. Age of Empires series was also very good. I can also recommend a good old game named Incubation, not a typical strategy rather a tactical turn based shooter.

Did you notice games are getting more easy and noob friendly? Just look what they did to Red Alert 3 or Supreme Commander 2 - after playing the sequels I felt like the target audience was primary school, or maybe I'm just getting old Cheesy
Played Stronghold Crusader, so I gotta agree. Really fun and engaging. Some say it's the best Stronghold game and that other went downhill after that. Is it true?
From what I remember, 2 & 3 had awful, awful bugs when released on top of a clunkier UI over the franchise genesis. I remember something about archers failing to do damage due to a bug which wasn't fixed before I quit. They're supposed to be releasing a Stronghold: Crusader 2 some time this year. No idea how it'll turn out.
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2014, 10:02:09 AM

From what I remember, 2 & 3 had awful, awful bugs when released on top of a clunkier UI over the franchise genesis. I remember something about archers failing to do damage due to a bug which wasn't fixed before I quit. They're supposed to be releasing a Stronghold: Crusader 2 some time this year. No idea how it'll turn out.
Yeah I heard of a sequel coming. A bit afraid though: they might try to dumb it down to suit a wider audience, not just the strategy players. Or they might try some features which would unbalance the whole game. I've seen so many sequels of older franchises go to waste that I'm beginning to worry whenever I see another one popping up.

Kouye

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 12:45:15 PM

Banner saga = epic tactical rpg, which kinda counts as a strategy. Felt very bad for pirating this one. On the good site, their kickstarter set them at 7x expected profit, so at least they are not starving Smiley
Thanks for the heads up, playing it now, and having lots of fun!
I paid for it, and might have it missed it without your post, so consider yourself half forgiven. Wink

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
EvilPanda

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 02:42:40 PM

Yeah I heard of a sequel coming. A bit afraid though: they might try to dumb it down to suit a wider audience, not just the strategy players. Or they might try some features which would unbalance the whole game. I've seen so many sequels of older franchises go to waste that I'm beginning to worry whenever I see another one popping up.
Stronghold 1+crusader was really the best, only thing it lacked was good graphics. Stronghold 2 was quite good IMO, had some bugs but it was playable. Stronghold 3 was a disaster - it was hard to control units as they'd get stuck over objects, had trouble walking to higher positions like walls and towers. Also the whole isometric angle was fucked so it was difficult to give orders to units as you could click on a building but the game registered it as clicking through it, on the ground behind it. Total mess.

madzooka

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 07:21:30 AM

Starcraft 2

Bytecoin (BCN) - true anonymity, privacy protection and only CPU-mining

Bytecoin address - 21eQrEa2wVcdnf8viyaDu78anS4aX3Kvqiyidan25UBCWRokFoTpAHk6hduLR1oBeJ7Map75dCQv4an r2meEiH4wKc1tbQh
DodoB

Activity: 504

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 02:53:49 PM

Total War Rome 2 !
DarkHyudrA
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

English <-> Portuguese translations

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 01:40:19 PM

I dunno if I already suggested that, but anyway,
How about Final Fantasy Tactics? (and god not about the FFT A, it sucks, the Judge thing is ridiculous, it removes all the fun of making a strategy)

I really like all the Job Changing thing, and that more than having a job, you have to choose 4 perks to fit better and powerful your characters.

English <-> Brazilian Portuguese translations
Rannasha

Activity: 728

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 01:58:56 PM
Last edit: February 03, 2014, 02:15:14 PM by Rannasha

UFO: Enemy Unknown (= the original XCOM) is still one of the best games out there. Careful planning on several levels, suspenseful atmosphere and a completely remorseless game design where your experienced squad can get slaughtered like a bunch of pugs. The flashy new reboot, XCOM Enemy Unknown, is entertaining enough, but lacks the depth of its original.

All incarnations of Starcraft are good. If you're into multiplayer, there's never a dull moment. Singleplayer campaigns are good too, with the most recent Heart of the Swarm campaign being the least good if you're looking for difficulty.

Simulation-games like Transport Tycoon (OpenTTD) and Theme Hospital (CorsixTH) are fun if you like that type of game. The Total War and Civ series are classics with varying degrees of greatness between the different installments in each series.
u9y42
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1071

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 01:59:43 PM

How about Final Fantasy Tactics? (and god not about the FFT A, it sucks, the Judge thing is ridiculous, it removes all the fun of making a strategy)

I really like all the Job Changing thing, and that more than having a job, you have to choose 4 perks to fit better and powerful your characters.

I kind of liked the law system in FFTA... it was a bit random if I remember correctly, but it helped make sure you didn't rely on only one strategy, and added some variety to the game. I suppose the same could have been achieve through better means, but I thought it was cool.

EDIT:

UFO: Enemy Unknown (= the original XCOM) is still one of the best games out there. Careful planning on several levels, suspenseful atmosphere and a completely remorseless game design where you experienced squad can get slaughtered like a bunch of pugs. The flashy new reboot, XCOM Enemy Unknown, is entertaining enough, but lacks the depth of its original.

[...]

Yeah, specially if the aliens are using fusion cannons for the first time in that game...   Roll Eyes
Kiki112

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 02:26:25 PM

Civilization V and Europa Universalis IV

I like Europa Universalis because it's a lot more real then other strategy games,..

much bigger use of diplomacy instead just warfare as in other games Smiley

Kluge
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 03:37:40 PM

Civilization V and Europa Universalis IV

I like Europa Universalis because it's a lot more real then other strategy games,..

much bigger use of diplomacy instead just warfare as in other games Smiley
Patch 1.4 improved EU IV quite a bit over how it used to play (I haven't played since 1.1x). CoP makes natives viable, though procedurally generated New World could do with some tweaking (nonsensical placement of trade hubs, and I really, really wish they didn't use real names... I'd have no idea where most small nations were if not for Paradox games... I'm worried about this messing with my memory). Currently playing a Creek nation in good position for domination... Euros just pushed into the New World. Hopefully can maintain an isolated border with one of them long enough to reform and beat them back off the land. CTDs every now and then for me. Glad the horrible trade redirection bug seems to be fixed.
DarkHyudrA
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

English <-> Portuguese translations

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 06:13:49 PM

I kind of liked the law system in FFTA... it was a bit random if I remember correctly, but it helped make sure you didn't rely on only one strategy, and added some variety to the game. I suppose the same could have been achieve through better means, but I thought it was cool.

I felt that it reduced the strategies to the minimum. And also, in the original FFT, unless you have the OP units using the same strategy all the time isn't much helpful =P

English <-> Brazilian Portuguese translations
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 10:49:05 AM
Last edit: March 03, 2014, 11:18:17 AM by Kluge

New:
*The Banner Saga - Interesting tactical turn-based with emphasis on story, and it's a good one. Fantastic artwork. Low replayability, awful end boss, story occasionally goes off on tangents (I'd guess to make the events in the sequel seem more fluid and meaningful), some mechanics were made to seem important but didn't meaningfully affect gameplay (will leave you to discover for yourself). http://stoicstudio.com/

*Diehard Dungeon (releasing on Steam this Wednesday, but already out elsewhere) - Yet another pixelated, 16-bit, real-time roguelike. This time, though, it's been developed and released by one guy, and is being praised for cramming a ton of content in. http://dieharddungeon.wordpress.com/ (that's right, .wordpress Cheesy )

Upcoming & watching:
*Tower of Guns (tomorrow!) - Dev explains it well. http://www.towerofguns.com/

*Age of Wonders III (Q1-Q2 2014) - Unfamiliar with this franchise. Looks a lot like HOMM. www.ageofwonders.com

*Tropico 5 (Q2 2014) - explained previously. www.tropico5.com

*Galactic Civilizations 3 (no ETA, yet) - It's GalCiv.... 3! Moving to 64-bit only and promising everything to be much, much bigger. http://www.galciv3.com/

Other:
*Chris Sawyer has come back from the depths and is developing a minor reboot of Transport Tycoon. Unfortunately, it will only be for mobile devices. As part of Atari's bankruptcy (maybe EA will someday share its fate...!), Rollercoaster Tycoon franchise remains unbought IP. They're asking $3.5M.

*Walking Dead s2e2 coming out tomorrow, too. I think, like the first season, I'm going to skip them until the series is complete, then cram it into a couple days.
sickhouse

Activity: 490

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 11:44:54 AM

Warcaft III will always be my favourite strategy game.
If you want something a bit more relaxed game try the Anno series.

Turn off the news and read. Watch Psywar, learn something important about our society and PR, why and how it got started and how it brainwashes you.
Kouye

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 09:59:51 PM

*The Banner Saga - Interesting tactical turn-based with emphasis on story, and it's a good one. Fantastic artwork. Low replayability, awful end boss, story occasionally goes off on tangents (I'd guess to make the events in the sequel seem more fluid and meaningful), some mechanics were made to seem important but didn't meaningfully affect gameplay (will leave you to discover for yourself). http://stoicstudio.com/
I was finally a bit disappointed, the game is too short for the price they're asking.
When it drops to ~5$, it'll be a must have, though, for the unique scrolling-game-telling, nice story, and turn based fights.
But paying 20$ for 10 hours of game-play seems a bit off to me.

Not really strategy, but I enjoyed M&M 10 Legacy, which kept me busy for much longer.
If you enjoyed MM3 and World of Xeen as much as I did, this is worth a shot, even though it's still inferior, unfortunately.

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
moriartypants

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 03:29:33 PM

In development that I am keeping my eyes on:

http://clockworkempires.com/
By the studio that made Dungeons of Dreadmor.  Out this spring I think.

Castle Story - Minecraft + Stronghold love child? 
http://www.sauropodstudio.com/
On steam early access.

http://legionsofashworld.com/ - strategy rpg with nice look.

Rimworld - Kickstarted, dunno ETA
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  

Jump to: