Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:03:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Psychological Indicators  (Read 431 times)
cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 02:21:55 PM

As an amateur economist, I am curious to understand the purely fundamental indicators people use to predict market futures. I will list a few of my own observations and would like input on them and add any specific tools you may use.

Sentimentality:
There seems to momentum caused by hype and emotion to direct the price in a general direction for awhile.
Extreme volatility tends to cause sharp spikes upward or downward. Sharpness depends on market depth of the reporting exchange.

Superstition:
Lucky numbers from numerology seem frequent. Seven is popular, thirteen is avoided.

Rule of thirds (a subset of superstition):
33, 66, 133, 166, 233, 266 etc. These numbers seem to grounding points for market sentimentality. Whether price stays above or below one of these points tends to predict the future direction.

Polygons:
There seems to be some validity to the charts used to predict the range of market futures. These "channels" tend to be subject to loose interpretation with various methodologies. Some use rectangles, some use triangles, some use curves. etc. Statistically, any of them are valid if used consistently. There usefulness is somewhat oversimplified because there are external influences on markets.

Search engine hits:
Google hits on terms like "bitcoin" tend to predict sentimentality.
News stories tend to appear in waves. Usually one story will be repeated by several news feeds and bloggers. One bad story can negate the effect of ten good stories.

FUDsters and Trolls:
The appearance of negativity comes in waves in the Bitcoin discussion communities and blogs. Usually, these are indications that good things are happening and the party-poopers want some attention. Their appearance means something already happened. If they bother you, it means you missed something important.

Arbitrage:
Emerging markets in other exchanges and cryptocurrencies may have a minor effect on Bitcoin price. Pairing Bitcoin with other cryptocurrencies introduces instability due to their highly speculative nature. The more pairs a coin has, the stronger its influence becomes.

I hope these help. Please add any more you think will help people understand this mono-market.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: