Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 07:19:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it still worth it to buy the KNC Jupiter?  (Read 5037 times)
bitly (OP)

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2013, 04:09:06 PM

Considering their Sept ship date and the incoming rise in difficulty?
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
blastbob

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 04:19:35 PM

You can get a better overview over equipment from this link

http://decentralizedhashing.com/bitcoin-mining-equipment-table/

Bitrated user: blastbob.
BitcoinBarrel
Legendary

Activity: 1961
Merit: 1020

Fill Your Barrel with Bitcoins!

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2013, 04:26:51 PM

I think no matter what Rig you decide to go with it will be worth it in the long run. Just get the best value for your investment and don't worry about ROI. People always say it's not worth it, but you're investing on the possibility that maybe Bitcoin will go up in value. Plus, you can always sell your Rig later on.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄██████████████▄
   ▄█████████████████▌
  ▐███████████████████▌
 ▄█████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
 ██████████████████████▀
 ▀████████████████████▀
  ▀██████████████████
    ▀▀████████████▀▀

Rannasha

Activity: 728

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 04:46:47 PM

I think no matter what Rig you decide to go with it will be worth it in the long run. Just get the best value for your investment and don't worry about ROI.
Nonsense, unless you want to randomly throw away money, ROI is very important. Difficulty will rise and it is not outside the realm of possibilities that some of these devices will not make you any profit. Problem is predicting future difficulty. If KNC ships in september, then that's 4-6 difficulty adjustments away from today. Difficulty could've doubled by then.

People always say it's not worth it, but you're investing on the possibility that maybe Bitcoin will go up in value.
If you are betting on the BTC price going up, you should just buy BTC and keep it in a wallet or a low-risk investment. It is a fallacy to reason that investing in something that incurs a BTC-loss is okay if the price of BTC goes up to compensate.

Plus, you can always sell your Rig later on.

For how much? The value of the mining rig will be inversely proportional to the difficulty. If the difficulty doubles, people will be willing to pay half of what they are willing to pay today. Unlike GPUs, which have a very popular alternative purpose (gaming) and retain a lot of resale value because of it, ASIC miners are solely for mining. If that isn't profitable, the miner won't be worth much.

I'm not saying that all ASICs are bad investments. Just be careful and run some numbers on pessimistic scenarios to see what your expected returns are. ASICs aren't get-rich-quick-machines.
bitly (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2013, 05:45:26 PM

You can get a better overview over equipment from this link

http://decentralizedhashing.com/bitcoin-mining-equipment-table/

This is pretty helpful. Thank you.
zordon2013

Activity: 27

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 05:51:07 PM

Bitfury price is wrong
October 400GH/s is 7500,-
August 400GH/s is 15000,-

bitly (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2013, 05:53:13 PM

Very insightful. I've done the calculation and it seems that KNC Jupiter is still a pretty good investment.

I was trying to place an order but couldn't seem to be able to pay through Paypal though.

I think no matter what Rig you decide to go with it will be worth it in the long run. Just get the best value for your investment and don't worry about ROI.
Nonsense, unless you want to randomly throw away money, ROI is very important. Difficulty will rise and it is not outside the realm of possibilities that some of these devices will not make you any profit. Problem is predicting future difficulty. If KNC ships in september, then that's 4-6 difficulty adjustments away from today. Difficulty could've doubled by then.

People always say it's not worth it, but you're investing on the possibility that maybe Bitcoin will go up in value.
If you are betting on the BTC price going up, you should just buy BTC and keep it in a wallet or a low-risk investment. It is a fallacy to reason that investing in something that incurs a BTC-loss is okay if the price of BTC goes up to compensate.

Plus, you can always sell your Rig later on.

For how much? The value of the mining rig will be inversely proportional to the difficulty. If the difficulty doubles, people will be willing to pay half of what they are willing to pay today. Unlike GPUs, which have a very popular alternative purpose (gaming) and retain a lot of resale value because of it, ASIC miners are solely for mining. If that isn't profitable, the miner won't be worth much.

I'm not saying that all ASICs are bad investments. Just be careful and run some numbers on pessimistic scenarios to see what your expected returns are. ASICs aren't get-rich-quick-machines.
bassclef

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 06:16:20 PM

The better question is not roi, but when will knc get their product out the door. September seems overly optimistic.
Rannasha

Activity: 728

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 07:03:42 PM

The better question is not roi, but when will knc get their product out the door. September seems overly optimistic.

This too is a valid point. BFL rigs were probably great ROI when they were announced, but if you count in the delivery delay, ROI is greatly reduced. KNC hasn't shipped any ASICs before, so it remains to be seen if they can meet their delivery targets.
minetrend

Activity: 22

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 07:41:07 PM

Very insightful. I've done the calculation and it seems that KNC Jupiter is still a pretty good investment.

Im still debating that, I looked at buying say 3 x Jupiter (I have one on order now) and still with all 4 the return with shipping dates from October doesn't seem worth it if you run the ROI calcs until they are no longer covering electric. I still think I am better of just holding bitcoins and waiting to see what happens. Thats just me though
bitly (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2013, 04:05:16 AM

Selling the one you have on order to me then? : Wink

Im still debating that, I looked at buying say 3 x Jupiter (I have one on order now) and still with all 4 the return with shipping dates from October doesn't seem worth it if you run the ROI calcs until they are no longer covering electric. I still think I am better of just holding bitcoins and waiting to see what happens. Thats just me though
andrewsg

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 07:14:08 AM

It's pretty simple, if they delivered the advertised performance on the advertised dates, then yes, it's still worth it.
As I think that is an extraordinarily unlikely scenario - no, it's not worth it for me.

Bitcoin can be bad for your chi. Improve yours and mine by sending BTC to: 1N1zRYSwKQbZ8Kx1bKvTskrjGMNynVFEr1
minetrend

Activity: 22

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 09:34:45 AM

Bitly its yours mate, but as im October shipping you wont get much further ahead in the que so will prob come to the same conclusion as me!
polarhei

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

Firing it up

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 12:50:08 PM

Even from ORSoc's word, where is the actual first push? Currently only few provide. Regardless it is, the dynamic chart may be bad idea at a moment so better buy shares instead of buying actual one.
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 11:24:24 AM

Once the price of BTC drops below $50 it's potentially more profitable to just buy BTC instead of ordering a Jupiter and hoping it will ship on time. And looking at the charts it doesn't seem that unlikely to dip below $50 this Summer. Either way waiting for lower prices is less risky imo and probably the better choice overall. That said I do have a Jupiter on pre-order, but I will get a refund if price drops below $50 and buy BTC instead.

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
Duffer1

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 01:16:42 PM

Once the price of BTC drops below $50 it's potentially more profitable to just buy BTC instead of ordering a Jupiter and hoping it will ship on time. And looking at the charts it doesn't seem that unlikely to dip below $50 this Summer. Either way waiting for lower prices is less risky imo and probably the better choice overall. That said I do have a Jupiter on pre-order, but I will get a refund if price drops below $50 and buy BTC instead.

What is their refund policy btw?  I couldn't find it anywhere. 
tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 06:43:20 AM

I would guess knc will be late to the game because they've chosen such a small fab size to work with. Bitfury already appears to have mature 55 nm process that's offering the same efficiency as they advertise.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
toga

Activity: 46

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 02:46:39 AM

i placed an order for mercury, but i have not paid yet, i'm still puzzling about if first i get roi ...

october shipping

What is their refund policy btw?  I couldn't find it anywhere.

me neither
ujka

Activity: 630

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 09:35:10 AM
Last edit: July 17, 2013, 12:42:10 PM by ujka

What is their refund policy btw?  I couldn't find it anywhere.
me neither
KnCMiner is an EU registered company, so they need to comply to EU laws - for consumers returns of goods is possible up to 7 days after delivery!
Of course, they don't deal with consumers, they are selling for bussiness use only!
https://www.kncminer.com/pages/tandc
1.2   The Products are sold for business use only and Purchaser hereby accepts that it has purchased the Products in order to conduct a business.
5. Returns
5.1  Returns are only accepted upon the prior approval of KnCMiner. In the event of a return, KnCMiner is entitled to make deductions due to any deficiencies. KnCMiner is entitled to request and require the Purchaser to grant KnCMiner opportunity to conduct inspection of the Products prior to accepting a return. Any return cost will be charged to the Purchaser, unless the return has been subject to the prior approval of KnCMiner.
What that really means is there are no refunds. Or, as US companies are saying 'all sales are final'.
Spelon

Activity: 28

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 09:55:28 AM

First and foremost they are under Swedish law. We have an open return law in Sweden of 14 days after delivery when buying goods over internet and/or telephone. You have a right to cancel any order for refund which has not been delivered in timely fashion from promised delivery date. 1 year warranty, free repair or exchange if goods fault within the first six months. We have a very capable state consumer agency that can help anyone if they have any trouble ( http://www.konsumentverket.se/otherlanguages/English/About-the-Swedish-Consumer-Agency/ ). So you are well protected when buying from a Swedish company (which is ultimately why I bought from them).
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: