Bitcoin Forum
July 16, 2024, 01:13:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hash rates of different GPUs and Power Supply Question  (Read 352 times)
bungaloobunkhead (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 09:48:24 AM

Hello I'm trying to find information on the different hash rates of Nvidia GeFroce GTX cards.  Does anyone have a source of information that lists and compares hash rates of different GTX series like 960 vs 970 vs 980 and 1050 vs 1060 vs 1070 etc(even 700s). All the information I have been able to find about hash rates on these cards is very sporadic, which makes it very difficult to compare.

Does the manufacturer brand matter; Is EVGA better than Gigabyte, or should I get MSI? Is it a good idea to compare the clock speeds of different cards as a way to gauge how strong of a hash rate the card can produce. Will a 4GB card have a significant improvement on the hash rate compared to its 2GB counterpart. Lastly, a lot of cards have suffixes like superclocked / TI / ssc  is there a specific type of card I should look for and/or stay away from? (ex. Will a superclocked 1060 have better performance compared to the base model but an ssc card will not?)

Also how would I go about calculating how much wattage my rig would require. For example; the ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1050 Low Profile has these power specs:
      Recommended Power Supply 300W
      Power Consumption 75W

Does this mean each card will only require 75 Watts to run while mining? If my system uses 275 Watts excluding GPUs, and I'm planning on installing 4 of these cards. Would I require 575 Watts output from my power supply (275 + 4 x 75 = 575 Watts) is this calculation correct? Would a 750 Watt PSU run this well, I've heard from one miner that you want your PSU to be at 60% so with a 575W load under that condition I would need a 1000W PSU. Is this true or would the 750W PSU perform just as well. Finally is it more efficient electricity wise to have one strong PSU or could I build my rig with 2-3 weaker PSUs without raising my electric bill?

This will be my first build. My goal is to set something up that will have a strong hash rate and not cost a fortune in parts. I am not overly concerned about having a great J/MH efficiency. If you guys have any suggestions about parts (I was going to order off Amazon) let me know, I'm from Canada in the GTA. I was also considering going with AMD over Nvidia but I am more familiar with Nvidia.

Sorry if the questions have already been posted/answered. There's so much different content about bit mining and some of it is contradicting itself. I'm new to this and would appreciate any useful information I could read, which pitfalls to avoid, or just general advice from an expert would be greatly reassuring. Thanks for reading my post, any advice is highly appreciated. Cheers.
deadsix

Activity: 751
Merit: 517

Fail to plan, and you plan to fail.

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 11:45:06 AM

Hello I'm trying to find information on the different hash rates of Nvidia GeFroce GTX cards.  Does anyone have a source of information that lists and compares hash rates of different GTX series like 960 vs 970 vs 980 and 1050 vs 1060 vs 1070 etc(even 700s). All the information I have been able to find about hash rates on these cards is very sporadic, which makes it very difficult to compare.

Does the manufacturer brand matter; Is EVGA better than Gigabyte, or should I get MSI? Is it a good idea to compare the clock speeds of different cards as a way to gauge how strong of a hash rate the card can produce. Will a 4GB card have a significant improvement on the hash rate compared to its 2GB counterpart. Lastly, a lot of cards have suffixes like superclocked / TI / ssc  is there a specific type of card I should look for and/or stay away from? (ex. Will a superclocked 1060 have better performance compared to the base model but an ssc card will not?)

Also how would I go about calculating how much wattage my rig would require. For example; the ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1050 Low Profile has these power specs:
      Recommended Power Supply 300W
      Power Consumption 75W

Does this mean each card will only require 75 Watts to run while mining? If my system uses 275 Watts excluding GPUs, and I'm planning on installing 4 of these cards. Would I require 575 Watts output from my power supply (275 + 4 x 75 = 575 Watts) is this calculation correct? Would a 750 Watt PSU run this well, I've heard from one miner that you want your PSU to be at 60% so with a 575W load under that condition I would need a 1000W PSU. Is this true or would the 750W PSU perform just as well. Finally is it more efficient electricity wise to have one strong PSU or could I build my rig with 2-3 weaker PSUs without raising my electric bill?

This will be my first build. My goal is to set something up that will have a strong hash rate and not cost a fortune in parts. I am not overly concerned about having a great J/MH efficiency. If you guys have any suggestions about parts (I was going to order off Amazon) let me know, I'm from Canada in the GTA. I was also considering going with AMD over Nvidia but I am more familiar with Nvidia.

Sorry if the questions have already been posted/answered. There's so much different content about bit mining and some of it is contradicting itself. I'm new to this and would appreciate any useful information I could read, which pitfalls to avoid, or just general advice from an expert would be greatly reassuring. Thanks for reading my post, any advice is highly appreciated. Cheers.

So instead of searching for all this info on forums, threads, watching videos etc you want someone to compile all this information and spoon feed it to you? Nice. Spend the time and effort needed, and ask for help when you are ACTUALLY stuck somewhere, and this community will answer all your questions, but no one here is going to help someone who is just too lazy to do any research by himself. Also, with that attitude, let me tell you straight up, mining wouldn't be suitable for you.

Ethereum/Zcash/Monero Mining Bangalore https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1703592
gregfromo

Activity: 134
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 12:41:40 PM

Hello I'm trying to find information on the different hash rates of Nvidia GeFroce GTX cards.  Does anyone have a source of information that lists and compares hash rates of different GTX series like 960 vs 970 vs 980 and 1050 vs 1060 vs 1070 etc(even 700s). All the information I have been able to find about hash rates on these cards is very sporadic, which makes it very difficult to compare.

some multicoin pools have a bench section, like

yiimp.eu
bungaloobunkhead (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 11:07:24 PM

So instead of searching for all this info on forums, threads, watching videos etc you want someone to compile all this information and spoon feed it to you? Nice. Spend the time and effort needed, and ask for help when you are ACTUALLY stuck somewhere, and this community will answer all your questions, but no one here is going to help someone who is just too lazy to do any research by himself. Also, with that attitude, let me tell you straight up, mining wouldn't be suitable for you.

What are you talking about you troll. You're the type of person to overpay on 1080s just because its trending. FFS, you wanted to buy a 500 dollar metal case that supports an 8 GPU rig LUL, talk about not doing your research.. You do realize the market can crash, decline or change direction. GPU mining might become obsolete/ inefficient phased out by new mining methods like Anteaters (the same way mining changed from cpu->gpu). I want to assure that my capital investment gives me the largest ROIs possible with the least amount of risk. I'm doing a lot of research actually, that's why I made this thread to get information and opinions from elite miners that know their shit( you don't fall in this category D: ). Buying 500 dollar metal cases that could be worthless in resale value, over investing in capital that can crash and drop in price from 1k to 200, you are a smart business man. Thanks for your input, ill make sure to whipe my ass with it.

Yes it was a loaded question, and no I wasnt expecting one person to have all this information since as I've stated there's contradicting information and it is scattered. This is a forum with thousands of people the whole point of it is to come together as a collective to make informed decisions. I am doing my research that's why I asked to be linked to credible info sources or articles pertaining to mining.

Maybe its my fault for not being as direct with my question.
Does the manufacturer brand matter; Is EVGA better than Gigabyte, or should I get MSI? Is it a good idea to compare the clock speeds of different cards as a way to gauge how strong of a hash rate the card can produce. Will a 4GB card have a significant improvement on the hash rate compared to its 2GB counterpart. Lastly, a lot of cards have suffixes like superclocked / TI / ssc  is there a specific type of card I should look for and/or stay away from?

This is the issue that made me post this thread in the first place. Should I go mainly off the clock speed and expect it to closely resemble its performance when comparing these cards? And yes, I am aware that the 2GB cards can no longer mine Etherium (soon, possibly already, the 3GB cards wont either according to an article I read.)

The power supply question is not a huge concern to me. I just want to be as efficient with my rig as possible. I posted it also because I've heard different opinions on the issue; as I've said, one miner suggests to have you PSU at 60-70% output, while your curry eating ass says 80-90%. I was just looking for the input of other miners to see if it can vouch the information I have seen online. This isn't the most tech advanced stuff I know, but everyone has a starting point and I'm just trying to make sure I've got the right "form" (sprinting reference). Thanks again to anyone who actually takes their time to try to help me.
bungaloobunkhead (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 11:15:34 PM

some multicoin pools have a bench section, like

yiimp.eu

Thank you the benchmark tab is a great reference point  Smiley
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 11:29:19 PM

The brand itself usually doesn't matter as much as how the chip is actually binned. Lower binned cards have lower memory and core clocks and higher mem and core for better binned cards. Here's what I could find for EVGA (likely outdated but still a decent reference):

https://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=59163

EVGA also has a crappy aluminum hunk of metal as a heatspreader on one model of their 1060s.
deadsix

Activity: 751
Merit: 517

Fail to plan, and you plan to fail.

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 07:59:38 AM
Last edit: December 05, 2017, 03:01:07 PM by deadsix

What are you talking about you troll. You're the type of person to overpay on 1080s just because its trending. FFS, you wanted to buy a 500 dollar metal case that supports an 8 GPU rig LUL, talk about not doing your research..
... tch tch I guess if you half ass everything its normal to miss minor details like how the case is actually a case including a 1600W PSU, cooling, motherboard, ram, ssd, cpu and cables, incredible value when one needs to scale up rapidly. But I guess you wouldn't know what scaling up is on minimum wage.

You do realize the market can crash, decline or change direction. GPU mining might become obsolete/ inefficient phased out by new mining methods like Anteaters (the same way mining changed from cpu->gpu).
Yea, I do worry about em anteaters all the time .... they keep me up all night.

I want to assure that my capital investment gives me the largest ROIs possible with the least amount of risk. I'm doing a lot of research actually, that's why I made this thread to get information and opinions from elite miners that know their shit( you don't fall in this category D: ). Buying 500 dollar metal cases that could be worthless in resale value, over investing in capital that can crash and drop in price from 1k to 200, you are a smart business man. Thanks for your input, ill make sure to whipe my ass with it.
Good to know im helping u keep your ass end clean, since that's where you do most of your talking through anyways. Learn to spell while you're at it. This is the big boys club, your balls drop or you go home.

Yes it was a loaded question, and no I wasn't expecting one person to have all this information since as I've stated there's contradicting information and it is scattered. This is a forum with thousands of people the whole point of it is to come together as a collective to make informed decisions. I am doing my research that's why I asked to be linked to credible info sources or articles pertaining to mining.
because learning to use google is just too damn hard .... the whole point of this forum is for functioning members to help each other when/where they get stuck, not to help on-board lazy bottom feeders.

Maybe its my fault for not being as direct with my question.
Does the manufacturer brand matter; Is EVGA better than Gigabyte, or should I get MSI? Is it a good idea to compare the clock speeds of different cards as a way to gauge how strong of a hash rate the card can produce. Will a 4GB card have a significant improvement on the hash rate compared to its 2GB counterpart. Lastly, a lot of cards have suffixes like superclocked / TI / ssc  is there a specific type of card I should look for and/or stay away from?
While this qualifies as a question, it highlights your absolute lack of research.

This is the issue that made me post this thread in the first place. Should I go mainly off the clock speed and expect it to closely resemble its performance when comparing these cards? And yes, I am aware that the 2GB cards can no longer mine Etherium (soon, possibly already, the 3GB cards wont either according to an article I read.)
see what I mean about half assing it ... read more articles, not just one, you don't want an opinion, you want an understanding.

The power supply question is not a huge concern to me. I just want to be as efficient with my rig as possible. I posted it also because I've heard different opinions on the issue; as I've said, one miner suggests to have you PSU at 60-70% output, while your curry eating ass says 80-90%. I was just looking for the input of other miners to see if it can vouch the information I have seen online. This isn't the most tech advanced stuff I know, but everyone has a starting point and I'm just trying to make sure I've got the right "form" (sprinting reference). Thanks again to anyone who actually takes their time to try to help me.
Again collate multiple opinions and see what the majority of people are recommending, then go with that. People recommend what works from them from experience generally. Oh and also, I am eating curry as I type this, how did you know  Shocked

Ethereum/Zcash/Monero Mining Bangalore https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1703592
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: