Bitcoin Forum
November 22, 2017, 08:40:46 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone remember the hashing performance of the original BTC Client?  (Read 1027 times)
Hook^

Activity: 56

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 09:43:51 PM

Was it about the same as the latest CPU-miner?  CPU-Miner seems to get around 1~2 MH/S per core.

I am wondering this, because the average network hashing rate for the first year of bitcoin's existence was around 5MHash/S.  That would mean there were on average, only 5 nodes in the bitcoin network the first year.

Also, when did the client start supporting external miners?

check out:
http://bitcoin.sipa.be/speed-ever.png

The difficulty stayed at 1 the whole first year (2009), because there were only a handful of nodes on the network.  In other words, at 2 MH/Sec, you could have mined almost 700,000 bitcoins the first year with just a middle of the road dual-core CPU.

Which would be worth around $10 million now.

Read it and weep  
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
syb3ria

'buntusiast

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 10:56:33 PM

UFAsoft's CPU miner used to give me 5.1 mh/s at E2140.
Hook^

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 11:00:56 PM

UFAsoft's CPU miner used to give me 5.1 mh/s at E2140.
I know that the external miners have good performance.  I was more wondering about the native client performance.  The original didn't allow external miners to connect, right?
ribuck
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 826

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 12:14:22 PM

I was more wondering about the native client performance.  The original didn't allow external miners to connect, right?

Client version 0.3.9 gave around 3 MHash/s on a 3.2GHz quad-core i5. Later versions pushed this up to around 5 MHash/s due to the cumulative effect of a number of tweaks.

The original didn't allow external miners to connect, right?

Correct, but from around the time that poclbm was released there was a patch floating around so that you could recompile your client to include the getwork function so that external miners could connect.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.