Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:11:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: We discuss the prospects of an LTC based FPGA.  (Read 1298 times)
maursader (OP)

Activity: 509
Merit: 250

Disrupt the banking system!

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 06:21:12 PM

Personally, I'm very skeptical that this will ever happen, and if it does, we're looking at least 3 years.

Anyone have any opinions on LTC based FPGA's or Asics? Will it happen soon? Long time from now? Never?

This guy seems to think he can pull it off:

https://forum.litecoin.net/index.php/topic,2702.0.html

Opinions and thoughts?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
maursader (OP)

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 04:10:38 PM

bump
mustyoshi

Activity: 287

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 04:16:01 PM

64-128K per thread doesn't seem that expensive ASICs might very well be possible.
Tomatocage
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 04:16:51 PM

Nobody is going to bother with FPGAs this time around.

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
mustyoshi

Activity: 287

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 04:19:51 PM

Nobody is going to bother with FPGAs this time around.
In the long term, more specialized hardware will always win out if not for hashrate, just for their power efficiency.

If these projects are to become actual currencies ASICs will be the endgame for all of them.
maursader (OP)

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 07:06:29 PM

Well, I think if said technology were to exist, alt currencies would merely just re-position itself to accommodate.

Example Scenario:

ASIC units developed to hash scrypt based coins.

Litecoin becomes maxed out at 84 million, Feathercoin (LTC clone) becomes the new 'litecoin' weighing in at 384 million coins.

New alt coin comes out with a far larger maximum capacity. (1 billion?)

-------------

Alternative situation:

Something else other than scrypt comes along and becomes the new mainstream technical way to mine.

Thoughts?

Extornia

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 07:12:52 PM

FPGA's or ASIC's for LTC will never be as close to the power of bitcoin ASIC's, or in the price. The differences will be enermous.
jasinlee

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 07:24:59 PM

Personally, I'm very skeptical that this will ever happen, and if it does, we're looking at least 3 years.

Anyone have any opinions on LTC based FPGA's or Asics? Will it happen soon? Long time from now? Never?

This guy seems to think he can pull it off:

https://forum.litecoin.net/index.php/topic,2702.0.html

Opinions and thoughts?

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
Damnsammit

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 07:34:49 PM

FPGA's or ASIC's for LTC will never be as close to the power of bitcoin ASIC's, or in the price. The differences will be enermous.

That's what I have read, too.

There was a thread on either this forum or the Litecoin forum that a person with FPGA experience had succesfully built and tested an FPGA for Scrypt using .  The result was something like 3KH/s and from everything that I read, he wasn't very optimistic about anything much better than that being acheived.  Factor in electricity and it *might* be beneficial, but it just depends on how much the initial cost is...

Simple economics.  Fixed costs + Variable costs.  A more energy efficient miner (FPGA) will be beneficial in the long-run only if it saves more electricity/hash (variable) than the initial purchase (fixed).  Another thing that I think must be included when talking about Scrypt mining, is that if a GPU can produce 2KH/s/USD (HD7950 @ 600KH/s @ $300) then without factoring the benefit of electricity, an FPGA would need to produce more than that.  Although an FPGA is reprogrammable, it likely will not retain the same value as a high-end GPU if for some reason Scrypt mining because completely unprofitable, either through waning interest or some ungodly ASIC development.

But, if someone could make an FPGA that produced >2KH/s/USD then I think it would be a hit.  As it is, the Bitcoin USB Miners are a hit because of their sexiness and the fact that they are cheaper than a graphics card that will produce the same hashes.  Even if reaching a breakeven ROI is a fantasy, it is a cool thing for a hobbyist to have.  I think if that can be acheived with Scrypt mining through an FPGA or an ASIC then it would be met with much applause.  

I highly doubt that you will ever see an ASIC for Scrypt that will hash at >50MH/s and be as compact as the 50GH/s+ ASICs for BTC.

I think this is the board that was used in the thread I read, but I didn't save all of the information because it didn't seem like a feasible option.  

http://www.dinigroup.com/new/DNK7_F5PCIe.php

jasinlee

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 07:59:51 PM

We shall see soon enough. The intent is to save vs energy consumption as you pointed out. Then continue optimization further after that.

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
maursader (OP)

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 02:36:39 AM

With what Damnsammit said, that makes a lot of sense. However the key to it being a hit would be its ability to have an ROI worth investing. I wish these boards could just easily integrate some GDDR5 and we'd be set.
jasinlee

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 02:41:19 AM

With what Damnsammit said, that makes a lot of sense. However the key to it being a hit would be its ability to have an ROI worth investing. I wish these boards could just easily integrate some GDDR5 and we'd be set.

GDDR5 is not necessary for the fpga to be capable of mining scrypt efficiently. Any fpga we produce or anyone else for that matter will likely have ddr3 on their boards.

YipYip

Activity: 574

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 03:39:59 AM

GDDR5 is not necessary for the fpga to be capable of mining scrypt efficiently. Any fpga we produce or anyone else for that matter will likely have ddr3 on their boards.

Its been a while ....any rough ball park figures on what the performance specs may be Huh

If you can ...it would be good to start doing the mental excel spreadsheet stuff

Currently have ~ 50m and hit the capacity in regards to my solar setup ... any more would be at 100% power costs and thats not where I want to be going Sad

OBJECT NOT FOUND
jasinlee

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 03:52:07 AM

Its been a while ....any rough ball park figures on what the performance specs may be Huh

If you can ...it would be good to start doing the mental excel spreadsheet stuff

Currently have ~ 50m and hit the capacity in regards to my solar setup ... any more would be at 100% power costs and thats not where I want to be going Sad

No final numbers yet. But we are aiming to beat 10khs/w and so far we are winning that battle Cheesy

maursader (OP)

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 07:48:19 PM

No final numbers yet. But we are aiming to beat 10khs/w and so far we are winning that battle Cheesy

What is the minimum goal you're hoping to achieve (hash rate) by producing these cards, and any price estimates?
jasinlee

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 08:22:42 PM

What is the minimum goal you're hoping to achieve (hash rate) by producing these cards, and any price estimates?

Oh and as an example if you have a 7950 that runs at 250w for 600khs that would be about  2.4khs/w so even if we achieve halfway (which we already beat) we already achieved superior efficiency.

Minimum is 400khs. No price estimates yet, but most likely I will give a perk to the people that buy into first batch since they are going to cost more. Then when the follow up batches are optimized and implemented then we will offer those to the batch 1 customers first.

And when working an fpga this complex, I am not sure if you could safely compare it to what is out there. This is not something like the asics that were created here on the forums or other fpgas people made on a shoestring budget. Our FPGA is a very complex device and will likely be 8-10 layers at final production.

kaz911

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 02:36:13 AM

Oh and as an example if you have a 7950 that runs at 250w for 600khs that would be about  2.4khs/w so even if we achieve halfway (which we already beat) we already achieved superior efficiency.

Minimum is 400khs. No price estimates yet, but most likely I will give a perk to the people that buy into first batch since they are going to cost more. Then when the follow up batches are optimized and implemented then we will offer those to the batch 1 customers first.

And when working an fpga this complex, I am not sure if you could safely compare it to what is out there. This is not something like the asics that were created here on the forums or other fpgas people made on a shoestring budget. Our FPGA is a very complex device and will likely be 8-10 layers at final production.

I thought a bare 7950 uses 80 watt at std settings? (Mine 7970 says 80 amp @ 1.1 volt - which is slightly above but not that much)

(not including the rest of the system)

Anyway - following this thread Smiley
samfisher

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 02:07:21 AM

I thought a bare 7950 uses 80 watt at std settings? (Mine 7970 says 80 amp @ 1.1 volt - which is slightly above but not that much)

(not including the rest of the system)

Anyway - following this thread Smiley

7950's have never taken 80 watt man.  At best it will take about 230w overclocked.

*Link Removed*
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: