Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 10:09:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: seems to be a problem with pcie extenders with usb3.0  (Read 228 times)
ggbtctalk000 (OP)

Activity: 394
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 04:44:23 PM

I picked up the i3 z270 board and seem to work find with 2x gpu-s so far, but when I installed with the pcie extender mining cable purchased from ebay, it seems unreliable. I tried out lot of different combo (3x x1 slots and 3x 16x slots) it seems slots does not seem to work at all. Now I found winning combo and mining with 2 gpu-s but if i build a large mining farm and go through this adventure, this will take a toll.

IMO, it could be the quality of connector, or driver support or type of O/S, anyways it seems very tricky now. Initially I bladed on the pcie extender however after trying out several pcie slots on the motherboard, it might not be entirely the culprit. It is hard to single out for now.

So the question is anything going through same hell in building 6-8 gpu-s?

Any known good brand of pcie extender for mining that works out of box with any motherboard and pcie slots.

d57heinz
Legendary

Activity: 1453
Merit: 1011

Bitcoin Talks Bullshit Walks

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 05:30:02 PM

I picked up the i3 z270 board and seem to work find with 2x gpu-s so far, but when I installed with the pcie extender mining cable purchased from ebay, it seems unreliable. I tried out lot of different combo (3x x1 slots and 3x 16x slots) it seems slots does not seem to work at all. Now I found winning combo and mining with 2 gpu-s but if i build a large mining farm and go through this adventure, this will take a toll.

IMO, it could be the quality of connector, or driver support or type of O/S, anyways it seems very tricky now. Initially I bladed on the pcie extender however after trying out several pcie slots on the motherboard, it might not be entirely the culprit. It is hard to single out for now.

So the question is anything going through same hell in building 6-8 gpu-s?

Any known good brand of pcie extender for mining that works out of box with any motherboard and pcie slots.

Look for seller mintcell on amazon. I’ve always had great realiability with his risers.  I’ve had my share of faulty ones.  I’d also look to see if the seller has the 6 pin pcie ones.  The 5 volt sata connectors don’t handle very much wattage on any psu.  These have just started circulating. Maybe have to go with another user. I’d also get some splitters as you will want to run vid card off them aswell.

BR

As in nature, all is ebb and tide, all is wave motion, so it seems that in all branches of industry, alternating currents - electric wave motion - will have the sway. ~Nikola Tesla~
ggbtctalk000 (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 07:52:58 PM

I dont know bud, there is only 1 5-star review, how can you be sure it is yours trying to notch up the sale.
It looks eerily similar to the ones I have and potentially problematic.
ggbtctalk000 (OP)

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 07:12:19 PM

bought few mintcell eay anyway, it is arguably better as long as it is not mining and not under load. once mining starts it /the one that connects to extender/ goes belly up after few min-s.
ggbtctalk000 (OP)

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 07:19:02 PM

This ewbf miner mining zcash on linux.
Temp: GPU0: 73C GPU1: 61C GPU2: 47C
GPU0: 498 Sol/s GPU1: 500 Sol/s GPU2: 0 Sol/s
Total speed: 998 Sol/s
ERROR: Looks like GPU2 are stuck he not respond.
ERROR: Looks like GPU2 are stopped. Restart attempt.
INFO 14:15:23: GPU0 Accepted share 77ms [A:381, R:1]
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: