Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 10:07:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Beware of teleworm email domains  (Read 8261 times)
bitbetter (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

I want to feel your empty heart.

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2011, 10:21:49 PM

I have recently started operating a bitcoin site and noticed something peculiar, something everyone else may or may not know. Any user that creates an account using a teleworm email domain are scammers. BEWARE. I only paid out a small amount of coins to this scam, but still it sucks.

Hopefully this is helpful to other newbies out there like me, who may have been duped by these guys at first. Check your user's email domains, they can usually tell you whether or not it's a real person.

IF YOU'RE NOT GOING TO DO THE WORK, IF YOU'RE GOING TO BE LAZY AND JUST STEAL FROM PEOPLE, WHY NOT GET OFF THE INTERNET AND JUST GO ROB SOMEONE'S HOUSE OR PLACE OF EMPLOYMENT? The one thing that ticks me off about the internet is that anonymity has provided assholes like the 'teleworm' guy a nice, comfy place to hide behind while he sits on his fat ass just profiting off of other people's work. It's a shame.

BitBetter | where your BitCoins are fun
12f4jinRUaqsHTn2mrDSxzkw9AQ9WBLwtX

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
elk-tamer

Activity: 87

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 10:52:53 PM

I have recently started operating a bitcoin site and noticed something peculiar, something everyone else may or may not know. Any user that creates an account using a teleworm email domain are scammers. BEWARE. I only paid out a small amount of coins to this scam, but still it sucks.

Hopefully this is helpful to other newbies out there like me, who may have been duped by these guys at first. Check your user's email domains, they can usually tell you whether or not it's a real person.

IF YOU'RE NOT GOING TO DO THE WORK, IF YOU'RE GOING TO BE LAZY AND JUST STEAL FROM PEOPLE, WHY NOT GET OFF THE INTERNET AND JUST GO ROB SOMEONE'S HOUSE OR PLACE OF EMPLOYMENT? The one thing that ticks me off about the internet is that anonymity has provided assholes like the 'teleworm' guy a nice, comfy place to hide behind while he sits on his fat ass just profiting off of other people's work. It's a shame.

What was the nature of the scam?
evileric

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 11:30:17 PM

Yeah, I mean I've operated a bunch of different kinds of sites over the years, and I've seen all sorts of cons, especially when money is involved, what's the con - email addresses are a dime a dozen, but best practices are tougher to beat.
bitbetter (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2011, 12:04:10 AM

Yeah, I mean I've operated a bunch of different kinds of sites over the years, and I've seen all sorts of cons, especially when money is involved, what's the con - email addresses are a dime a dozen, but best practices are tougher to beat.

I run a site where you get a certain number of points for signing up. I guess in this case whoever was running the 'teleworm' just created bogies emails and was signing up a bunch of accounts to take advantage of the offer. The accounts belong to no one. Good times.

Coaster

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 12:39:32 PM

you mean someone with a teleworm email created a catch all and used a proxy like tor to signup dozens of times on your site?

thats stuff ya gotta watch out for mang..

bitbetter (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2011, 07:16:24 PM

you mean someone with a teleworm email created a catch all and used a proxy like tor to signup dozens of times on your site?

thats stuff ya gotta watch out for mang..

haha yeah that's it. what a rip-off.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: