Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 01:09:55 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this rig worth it?  (Read 632 times)
dalefrench (OP)

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 08:27:43 PM

Hello all.  I am newly married and my wife does not like the fact that I am so heavily consumed by charts and trading and bitcoin, altcoin etc.   She also does not want me to get into a high powered mining operation.  But I still want to mine over the next year or so with little noise and power.  Would this be worth it in long run?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-R9-390-GPU-Ethereum-Miner-ETH-BTC-ZCash-XMR-Computer-Heater-Mining-Rig-/182788285566?hash=item2a8f07e47e

Maybe a couple of them.  One to mine monero and one to mine eth.

Any help would be appreciated.
HKGolden

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 09:53:16 PM
Last edit: December 04, 2017, 10:04:18 PM by HKGolden

Hello there! Sorry that you won't be able to launch your big scale mining facility haha :p.

Edit: Nevermind the rig is not worth it.  I calculated for you and you would get about $$1.67 per day worth of ETH (if you mine ETH with it). My calculations were based on the information they give for the listing: approx. 28.5 MH/s while only using around 350 watts.

Smiley
numb12

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 09:59:07 PM

NOO! I mine Etherium with 63 MH/s and I dont get more than 2,2 dollars a day
HKGolden

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 10:04:47 PM

NOO! I mine Etherium with 63 MH/s and I dont get more than 2,2 dollars a day

Thank you for the precision! I adjusted my calculations, he would get about $1.67 per day after electricity.
dalefrench (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 10:17:49 PM

ooh, yuck.  Well Thanks for the replies.   I might as well this take that money and buy eth from coinbase.   Any alternatives other then eth to mine, other altcoins?  If I added another card to it?
numb12

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 10:30:07 PM

I think that at the moment the best option is antminer s9 but they are out of stock....GPU mining is dead for me
HKGolden

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 11:00:32 PM

I think that at the moment the best option is antminer s9 but they are out of stock....GPU mining is dead for me

It is the best option but dalefrench can't go with a S9 since it is way too loud Smiley
DevelopmentBank

Activity: 406
Merit: 110

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 11:37:11 PM

Definitely not worth it.

First of all its always cheaper to build your own rig. Spare a weekend to build one and save a lot more money that way. Secondly, the graphics cards on that rig are too power hungry and have a bad hash rate to power consumption ratio. Electricity costs will end up eating up your profits.
Elder III

Activity: 1246
Merit: 274

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 11:56:58 PM

What kind of budget are you looking at for mining rigs?

Also, does your wife not like you bringing in an income, or does she have something against crypto in particular?
dalefrench (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 07:01:54 AM

She does not believe in it or know the immense scale of it.   She is not against me bringing home income.  She does not like the idea of using lots of power.  I will have a budget of about 1200 in a few days and maybe more.  Thanks.

I could come up with maybe 2200 buy end of december.   I am mainly interested in mining an altcoin that will rise in the future.  She does not like the fact that I spend so much time trading what little I have.  .04 btc
zukko

Activity: 257

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 07:07:40 AM

I do not think that the GPU mining has died. My farm on 4 * rx480 has already paid off 3 times in a year and a half Smiley and now mining ELECTRONEUM comes out about 10 dollars a day
Elder III

Activity: 1246
Merit: 274

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 11:55:58 PM

She does not believe in it or know the immense scale of it.   She is not against me bringing home income.  She does not like the idea of using lots of power.  I will have a budget of about 1200 in a few days and maybe more.  Thanks.

I could come up with maybe 2200 buy end of december.   I am mainly interested in mining an altcoin that will rise in the future.  She does not like the fact that I spend so much time trading what little I have.  .04 btc

Try to get her to be interested in learning about new things. 10 years ago my wife hardly knew the difference between a toaster and a computer. Now she runs our small mining farm.
toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 01:54:17 AM

Hello all.  I am newly married and my wife does not like the fact that I am so heavily consumed by charts and trading and bitcoin, altcoin etc.   She also does not want me to get into a high powered mining operation.  But I still want to mine over the next year or so with little noise and power.  Would this be worth it in long run?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-R9-390-GPU-Ethereum-Miner-ETH-BTC-ZCash-XMR-Computer-Heater-Mining-Rig-/182788285566?hash=item2a8f07e47e

Maybe a couple of them.  One to mine monero and one to mine eth.

NO in one word you could build your own system with a better card if you shop around for the parts for about the same with up to date parts  an get more for the money .

I could come up with maybe 2200 buy end of december.   I am mainly interested in mining an altcoin that will rise in the future.  She does not like the fact that I spend so much time trading what little I have.  .04 btc

Try to get her to be interested in learning about new things. 10 years ago my wife hardly knew the difference between a toaster and a computer. Now she runs our small mining farm.

mining is a awesome thing to do if you get hooked, you can't stop .. or you can stop but it's hard to stop once you start mining, if you like it . it can become a nice addiction with nice side affect  and the stuff you learn over time is Amazing ..

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
m1n1ngP4d4w4n

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

CryptoLearner

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 08:21:20 AM

Golden rule,

if the rig is sold, it's mostly because it's not profitable anymore for the seller, so it will not be for you either, except if you have free or very low cost electricity, but that's it.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 09:49:45 PM

Hello all.  I am newly married and my wife does not like the fact that I am so heavily consumed by charts and trading and bitcoin, altcoin etc.   She also does not want me to get into a high powered mining operation.  But I still want to mine over the next year or so with little noise and power.  Would this be worth it in long run?

Perhaps point out to here that some good money can be made via mining, with generally LESS time investment into it than most other jobs that can match the income level?

Even COUNTING the time I spend on Bitcoin.Talk, I'm currently pulling in at least $45/hour with my mining operation - and if I DIDN'T count the time I spend on here, that would at least $130.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Phantoms001

Activity: 135
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 01:05:53 AM

Wow, that would be a horrible idea.  A huge price for an outdated computer with "mining" in the title. 

As others have suggested, build your own rig.  Maybe even find used gear to start as a lower price point (lower ROI).  I'd really suggest you start small.  Start with 2, 3, or 4 cards.  Keep your costs down, learn how to build a rig, get it setup, and keep it running. 

When we started mining we started with an old computer and 2 cards we found cheap on craigslist (cost us 45.00 for the computer and 100.00 each for 2 970s).  From there we purchased risers and added a 3rd and 4th card.  When this was running solid we decided we were happy with mining and began to expand buying our first "mining" board, risers, cpu, psu, ect.. and set up our 1st actual rig (moving the 4 cards to the rig and putting 2 new ones back in the old computer).  We steadily picked up cheap cards and kept filling in cards where we could.  This whole time we never plunked down 1k or 2k with the hope of leaning how to mine and what to do.  We learned as we went, investing more and more as we made more and more, and that has never stopped (now up to 4 rigs with 6 cards in each). 

At any point and time we could have easily stopped mining and lost little-none because we didn't just try to "buy" our way into mining vs taking the time to learn how to mine.

I think starting smaller will make you a better miner and keep the wife happy.
bigjee

Activity: 434
Merit: 107

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 01:14:10 AM

No its not.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 11:37:50 PM

BTW - $800 is a RIPOFF for a single-card R9 390 based rig.

2 years back or so, I paid right about that same price to Newegg for a rig that had 3x R9 280x, Titanium 1500 watt power supply, AM3 MB+RAM+small HD, and a humongo case that by itself was about $160 new.
 Just the GPUs and the PS were worth what I paid for it at the time, the rest was "bonus".

It WAS a closeout deal, on a "pre-configured Windows 8-based Scrypt miner" that I never figured out 8 enough to FIND if the bloody "pre-installed software" was even there - after a few hours of frustration at the UNUSABLE INTERFACE 8 inflicts on people, I blew it off and took right at an hour to do a from-scratch XUbuntu + Genoil + needed supporting software installation, got everything configured, and was mining with it.

Even after the massive frustration factor, I still think the system was worth it - and though one of the R9 280x cards died after about a year and a half, the REST of the parts are all still in use in SOMETHING around here mining away.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: