Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:29:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help! bitcoin lost, no fee transaction  (Read 492 times)
LT18 (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 09:03:35 PM
Last edit: December 04, 2017, 09:25:36 PM by LT18

My colleague and i had bitcoins on an old wallet, we wanted to send them to a safer wallet last friday as soon as possible because his wallet was not up to date... so this is what happened:

- we tried 0,001 as a test , and it worked, the transaction could be seen immediately on my other bitcoin wallet and got confirmed in 20 minutes.

- we tried more this time but my colleague accidentally didn't add a fee, he says it was not possible anymore to add a fee.  the transaction was never seen on my wallet, it was seen on blockexplorer as unconfirmed

- 3 days later the transaction is not to be found anymore on blockexplorer, or our accounts.

- my colleague his wallet is not sync so cannot acces his wallet, he need to leave his computer on for 30 days, almost impossible on his old computer, he says he never made a private key

- please help Sad

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
racquemis

Activity: 174
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 09:05:33 PM

Can you please post the address the BTC was send from and the address send to?
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 09:06:39 PM

My colleague and i had 3 bitcoins on an old wallet, we wanted to send them to a safer wallet last friday as soon as possible because his wallet was not up to date... so this is what happened:

- we tried 0,001 , and it worked, the transaction could be seen immediately on my other bitcoin wallet and got confirmed in 20 minutes.

- we tried -2.9775, my colleague accidentally didn't add a fee, he says it was not possible anymore to add a fee.  the transaction was never seen on my wallet, it was seen on blockexplorer as unconfirmed

- 3 days later the transaction is not to be found anymore on blockexplorer, or our accounts.

- my colleague his wallet is not sync so cannot acces his wallet, he need to leave his computer on for 30 days, almost impossible on his old computer, he says he never made a private key

- please help Sad

You're really not giving enouh data. What wallet are you using? What adresses were used, for the unconfirmed transactions?

Anyhow, bitcoins don't disappear, they have to go somewhere. If the transaction didn't confirm, and stopped being broadcast, it should have been returned to the original adress it was send from.

Also, every adress has a private key, so he does have a private key.

I'm assuming here that you guys were using bitcoin core, you'll need to EXPORT the private key which holds the 3 bitcoin, and import that into a wallet such as electrum.

To see which adress holds the bitcoins, try running

Code:
listaddressgroupings

Code:
walletpassphrase "your walletpassphrase here" 600
dumpprivkey [your Bitcoin address here]

This code is used to dump the private key.

Then simply download electrum from official sources and import the key. Voila, your balance should be there.

How to get into the console,

1. launch your bitcoin client as usual
2. click on 'help' in the menu bar (top right)
3. click on 'debug window'
4. select the 'console' tab

LT18 (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 09:10:37 PM

Can you please post the address the BTC was send from and the address send to?

send from:  1FxMpmWXbsTrAWG1Y4BcYvvWgiRRqJuBfM

too: 36V42zqaPyCRBwzfuAFQPCDCSyYzPa563K

this was the transaction ID 3e49d43acea89ae88d465d118642b274893a53636066489e390ed3617e6f9754

was send to ledger nano wallet
TheBarMan

Activity: 140

DEGEN Future Traders

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 09:13:57 PM

I can help you, i had this problem before and after seven days i have to read a lot info and finally i found a way to fix it...

please sent me a PV for chat...
LT18 (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 09:16:52 PM

My colleague and i had 3 bitcoins on an old wallet, we wanted to send them to a safer wallet last friday as soon as possible because his wallet was not up to date... so this is what happened:

- we tried 0,001 , and it worked, the transaction could be seen immediately on my other bitcoin wallet and got confirmed in 20 minutes.

- we tried -2.9775, my colleague accidentally didn't add a fee, he says it was not possible anymore to add a fee.  the transaction was never seen on my wallet, it was seen on blockexplorer as unconfirmed

- please help Sad

You're really not giving enouh data. What wallet are you using? What adresses were used, for the unconfirmed transactions?

Anyhow, bitcoins don't disappear, they have to go somewhere. If the transaction didn't confirm, and stopped being broadcast, it should have been returned to the original adress it was send from.

I'm assuming here that you guys were using bitcoin core, you'll need to EXPORT the private key which holds the 3 bitcoin, and import that into a wallet such as electrum.

Code:
listaddressgroupings

Code:

Then simply download electrum from official sources and import the key. Voila, your balance should be there.

Thanks for the info, we will try this, i'll write here if it worked..
LT18 (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 09:23:25 PM

But if you lookup the original address on blockexplorer it had 0BTC and only the 0,001 transaction is seen..
racquemis

Activity: 174

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 09:24:43 PM

But if you lookup the original address on blockexplorer it had 0BTC and only the 0,001 transaction is seen..

That is because your wallet creates a new address with each transaction......
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16596

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2017, 10:48:03 PM

Your change is now on 15jtwBoTKRip7qqb1SzPW7LF2RG9T61GiX.

So try this:
Code:
dumpprivkey 15jtwBoTKRip7qqb1SzPW7LF2RG9T61GiX
AdolfinWolf explained the rest already Smiley

Be careful with private keys: DO NOT post them and do not send/show them to anybody!

redsuncrypto

Activity: 101

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 06:31:21 AM

- please help Sad

Code:
listaddressgroupings

Code:

very useful for me too, thanks
LT18 (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 11:59:22 AM

We imported the key in Electrum but the transaction or BTC is not there Sad only the first 'test' transaction is there.
Is there any other way to track the transaction so we can see what happened with it?

Thank you!
Micerker J. Meyer

Activity: 53

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 12:13:56 PM

We imported the key in Electrum but the transaction or BTC is not there Sad only the first 'test' transaction is there.
Is there any other way to track the transaction so we can see what happened with it?

Thank you!
Do you still control your old address, check it
LT18 (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 12:21:32 PM

Thank you!

We did by importing the key in Electrum or i'm wrong?  only the 'test' transaction is found, the bigger transaction is lost.

Thanks for your time guys! If someone finds a solution i'll be happy to pay a tip.. Sorry for being such a noob..
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 01:14:14 PM

Thank you!

We did by importing the key in Electrum or i'm wrong?  only the 'test' transaction is found, the bigger transaction is lost.

Thanks for your time guys! If someone finds a solution i'll be happy to pay a tip.. Sorry for being such a noob..

Which key exactly did you import into electrum? The one where all the bitcoin was stored?

LoyceV mentioned that your bitcoin might have gone to a change adress, have you tried importing the private key of that adress?

bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2017, 04:38:08 PM

Since you were testing to send 0.0001 btc there has been created a change address (as already mentioned above).
The listaddressgroupings command therefore shows at least 2 addresses.
You have to import all of your private keys after dumpprivkey into electrum. But please only do this on a clean machine, preferably not on the everyday-use-windows-pc.
If this doesn't work you could try Pywallet to dump the keys (https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Pywallet). But make sure to create a backup of your wallet.dat before using pywallet.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: