Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 06:11:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: At what point do i buy a hardware wallet??  (Read 163 times)
cgalloway (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 09:42:33 PM

what's up guys and gals! first time posting here so don't roast me!

i'm holding less than $1k USD total between BTC, XRP, and LTC (just getting into trading cc). i've thought about buying a hardware wallet, but wasn't sure if the cost was worth the risk at this point with such little money in the mix. i'm currently using coinbase and gatehub as my wallets which seem to be fairly secure online wallets from the homework i've done.  

any thoughts?

thanks in advance.
yura_878

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

The Operating System for DAOs

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 09:50:53 PM

i'm holding less than $1k USD total between BTC, XRP, and LTC (just getting into trading cc). i've thought about buying a hardware wallet, but wasn't sure if the cost was worth the risk at this point with such little money in the mix. i'm currently using coinbase and gatehub as my wallets which seem to be fairly secure online wallets from the homework i've done.  

any thoughts?

thanks in advance.
I have coins for 25 thousand dollars and I have no hardware wallet though necessary I think that you do not need a wallet at your level yet

KylesmomisaB

Activity: 194
Merit: 100

Toplancer.co | PreSale is LIVE | Get Your Bonus

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 09:53:15 PM

Well for one thing it can't hurt your situation to have it but given you have 1k invested and a hardware wallet costs 100 usd which is 10% of your portfolio I would say hold off and wait. I think a good baseline to have a hardware wallet would be for funds 5k USD+ but in actuality if you feel more safer with it you could get it now too. Honestly it boils down to personal preference and I personally would wait until 5k USD, but its up to you in the end.

TOPLANCER.CO
Zero commission, Escrow payment & Dispute Settlements
PreSale GET YOUR BONUS JOIN NOW
Commitments

Activity: 532
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 09:54:18 PM

any thoughts?

thanks in advance.

I think if you are holding less than 1K usd you should  keep into trading, I think whenever you got some coins for hold a Ledger Nano S may work for that.
cgalloway (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 03:59:42 PM

Well for one thing it can't hurt your situation to have it but given you have 1k invested and a hardware wallet costs 100 usd which is 10% of your portfolio I would say hold off and wait. I think a good baseline to have a hardware wallet would be for funds 5k USD+ but in actuality if you feel more safer with it you could get it now too. Honestly it boils down to personal preference and I personally would wait until 5k USD, but its up to you in the end.

good advice here and from everyone. this is what my gut was telling me as well. i appreciate the feedback!
grimesrhymes

Activity: 161
Merit: 12

📶Decentralized free Wi-Fi📶

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 04:11:18 PM

If you are secure in your practices and your PC is secure then you shouldn't have any problems. If you plan to invest more in the future then sure buy the wallet now instead of later, but if you only ever plan to have those investments then I would say it isn't necessary. While $1k is a good amount of money you won't be the number one target for any hackers, scammers etc

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: