Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 08:01:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2017-12-04] The Winklevoss twins are now Bitcoin billionaires  (Read 3269 times)
cybersofts (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 658
Merit: 284

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 09:47:18 PM
Last edit: December 04, 2017, 09:58:30 PM by cybersofts

The Winklevoss twins are now Bitcoin billionaires
From an $11 million investment in 2013

The Winklevoss twins, famously known for suing Mark Zuckerberg after claiming he stole their idea for Facebook, are now Bitcoin billionaires, according to a few reports. Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss won $65 million from the Facebook lawsuit, and invested $11 million of their payout into Bitcoin in 2013, amassing one of the largest portfolios of Bitcoin in the world — 1 percent of the entire currency’s dollar value equivalent, said the twins at the time. Their slice of the Bitcoin pie is now worth over $1 billion after Bitcoin surged past $10,000 last week to now trade at $11,100, according to CoinDesk. The cryptocurrency has surged over 10,000 percent since the Winklevoss’ investment, when one coin traded at around $120.

"If Bitcoin is a better gold or seen as a type of gold-like asset, then it could be in the trillions on a market cap," Tyler Winklevoss told CNNMoney in 2015. "We do feel those are very real possibilities." The twins have never sold a single Bitcoin, reports The Telegraph, noting that only a handful of Bitcoin wallets hold more than $1 billion worth of the cryptocurrency. One of those wallets belongs to the mysterious inventor, known only under the pseudonym of Satoshi Nakamoto.

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/4/16732952/winklevoss-twins-bitcoin-billionaires-surge
iamTom123

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 11:16:27 AM

I am all happy for these two lovely looking guys as they did have the vision back in 2013 that Bitcoin will really make it and can be catching fire years from the day they invested. These are the true faithful investors as they never sold even an iota of their hoard of Bitcoin until now when the price is already astronomical. I understand that it also took years for Bitcoin to finally make a big breakthrough in price and even last year when i started it was just hovering in the $600 - $800 mark. Well, had I known that it would explode I could have sold my house and just live in the tree house (hahaha). This is also showing us how money can be the best instrument to create more money. People who are dreaming to be successful have to build up their capital base and resources because those can be the arsenals needed in the creation of more wealth. Luck indeed are the people who believed in something and that something turns out to be more valuable than gold.
Guardian.P

Activity: 609
Merit: 255

Pandora's Tokens Bounties

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2017, 11:35:33 AM

The Winklevoss twins are great fellows, they were the first to invest in bitcoin a large bag. In the beginning, they constantly supported development, despite all the difficulties. Respect these guys. they deserve it
Hexah

Activity: 728
Merit: 265

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 11:55:51 AM

They really are a good influence when it comes to the world of cryptocurrency, they really make good move when they invest bitcoin at that current price of $120. They will be enjoying what they have planted right now I supposed but as the article said that they never sold a single Bitcoin, I think they are into it until a good price will be enough to sell it. If they didn't sell anything of it then bitcoin really has more to come in terms of its value.
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 02:11:53 PM

I wonder how many Bitcoins they have actually left of the initial 100,000 they bought years ago. I strongly believe that they have been liquidating their profits, and use that money to invest in other ventures. But even if they haven't sold anything, I appreciate and respect people who actually want to contribute to pushing Bitcoin to the next level, even though not all their attempts have been successful in that regard. I remember how back in the days people were actually respecting Roger Ver and Gavin Andresen, and now completely shit on these two characters. Good thing is that the Winklevoss twins remained respectable for the most part with everything they do.
stevegee58
Legendary

Activity: 916
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 02:23:14 PM

Being a billionaire in BTC doesn't really mean that much.  BTC remains inconvenient to use and is basically not fungible:  You can't reasonably expect to buy a car or house with it.
(Yes, yes every now and then you see a news item where someone bought a car or house with BTC but those are one-off occurrences.)

Imagine buying a penny stock and having it shoot up 1000x overnight.  Congrats!  Your position is now worth $10,000,000  However, getting out of a position like that is very difficult in the OTC market.  I actually knew a guy this happened to.  BTC is not unlike a thinly traded penny stock.  When the price shoots up the buyers disappear and then you can't sell.

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
CyberKuro

Activity: 798
Merit: 506

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 02:56:15 PM

If someone asks; why they never sell bitcoin? They are rich mans, even no need to sell bitcoin to extract cash instantly. I acknowledge their beliefs in bitcoin, going through all this year and never sell a single bitcoin, fantastic. There are some people as early investors who bought bitcoin in 2009-2011, they should make more money as bitcoin worth less than $50 at that time, but only a few people who can resist the temptation of easy profits, sell at higher price. And others just lost their hardware wallet or forgot their passwords. One thing for sure; you have nothing to lose when investing in bitcoins and hold it for long-term, but make sure to make your wallet save.
Another rich wallet: 1EBHA1ckUWzNKN7BMfDwGTx6GKEbADUozX
Contain  BTC66,233.75754982
As bitcoin is perfectly safe, no one can hack it.
You can read more here: http://www.theopenledger.com/9-most-famous-bitcoin-addresses/
RedX

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 02:50:33 AM

If only I knew bitcoin back there and have at least a million dollar in my bank then I could be a billionaire too. This twins made the best choice to hold bitcoin for a long term and never spend any amount of it. Bitcoin can really change anyone in just a few years.
Reatim

Activity: 2842
Merit: 359

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 04:20:42 AM

That's what you love from this early adopters of bitcoin. Billionaires of today. Although they have really a lot of money to start with that's why I wouldn't surprise that they are getting richer because of bitcoin. And as much as we hate them, they know what they are doing and no one can take that away from the twins.

Let's wait till the SEC review on bitcoin ETF, the second review took so long that the brothers doesn't care because they are getting richer by the day because of their investment. hahahha

If only I knew bitcoin back there and have at least a million dollar in my bank then I could be a billionaire too. This twins made the best choice to hold bitcoin for a long term and never spend any amount of it. Bitcoin can really change anyone in just a few years.
We are still not late though. Just invest as much as we can and let it sit on our wallet and I'm sure 3-5 years from now we are all millionaires. Just hold and resist the temptation of not selling it at $50K a pop.  Grin

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
Mars,           
here we come!
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ElonCoin.org.
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"

▬▬▬▬▬
glowing10

Activity: 812
Merit: 142

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 05:05:00 AM

The Winklevoss twins are great fellows, they were the first to invest in bitcoin a large bag. In the beginning, they constantly supported development, despite all the difficulties. Respect these guys. they deserve it

I am just thinking did they ever thought that in 2017 they would see their investment made at that time in btc would make them billionaires today where btc prices are sky rocketing and has crossed 12k also. They would have invested when it would have being less than a $ and today they would a moment had that being when they had invested in it and today they are the billionaires twins on earth due to bitcoin. They really deserve this.
Harlot

Activity: 1806
Merit: 671

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 07:11:52 AM

The news made waves all over the social media from Reddit and of course up to Facebook these shows us the effect of Bitcoin to new people not even part of Bitcoin but are interested in joining the market. The twins shows us that risking money by buying Bitcoin is not a bad idea to become billionaires but these guys obviously don't have anything to lose as they have won a huge settlement case against Facebook and has use not even 1/4th of the lawsuit money to risk with Bitcoin but it has surely paid off for them.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: