Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 11:50:07 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 20m Ethernet Cable any good?  (Read 562 times)
veymor (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 01:41:23 PM

I have connected my TP LINK router to my Virgin SuperHub cause the Virgin SuperHub wireless is not so good, But all the TP LINK Router has done is added a 1 bar signal strength. So if i got a 20m long Ethernet Cable Stretched all the way up stairs for the TPLINK to be closer, and then Connected wireless to it, Would that make any difference because its running on a 20m Cable then wireless. Its Closer for wireless but it be running through a 20m Cable.
favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2013, 01:46:00 PM

It'd be much faster than wireless. so I'd go for it.

PyPy

Activity: 10

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 01:49:58 PM

Always go with cabling over wireless.   Shielded cables will bring you more speed.  Shielded cables will bring you more security.  But nothing is every really secure, of course.
favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2013, 01:51:28 PM

Always go with cabling over wireless.   Shielded cables will bring you more speed.  Shielded cables will bring you more security.  But nothing is every really secure, of course.

haha, just imagined some imp cutting the cable at 10m to be the man in the middle Cheesy

better check your cable every day!

OnkelPaul
Legendary

Activity: 1039
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 01:53:20 PM

A number of people I know have good results with powerline networking devices (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HomePlug) when wireless was not usable due to bad signal strength/quality.
YMMV, of course. If you can use a cable, go for it - it's probably the cheapest and most reliable connection you can get.

Onkel Paul

PyPy

Activity: 10

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 02:09:21 PM

haha, just imagined some imp cutting the cable at 10m to be the man in the middle Cheesy

better check your cable every day!

ha!  It could happen!   Gotta check for trouble every day!
chipug

Activity: 165
Merit: 100

696B6111

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 02:52:40 PM

I have connected my TP LINK router to my Virgin SuperHub cause the Virgin SuperHub wireless is not so good, But all the TP LINK Router has done is added a 1 bar signal strength. So if i got a 20m long Ethernet Cable Stretched all the way up stairs for the TPLINK to be closer, and then Connected wireless to it, Would that make any difference because its running on a 20m Cable then wireless. Its Closer for wireless but it be running through a 20m Cable.

Would your mobile work better than your landline telephone in the case of bad signal? No...because...wires.

wired > wifi
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: