Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 03:31:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-07-06 HMRC: UK bitcoin exchanges don’t have to register under money launder  (Read 1305 times)
zakoliverz (OP)

Activity: 536
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 02:32:08 PM

http://www.coindesk.com/hmrc-uk-bitcoin-exchanges-dont-have-to-register-under-money-laundering-regulations/

Bitcoin exchanges operating in the UK do not have to register with HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) under money laundering regulations, the government department has revealed
chipug

Activity: 165
Merit: 100

696B6111

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 03:49:51 PM

They do cover their arses by basically saying if they change their minds, they don't have to inform you first, the onus is on you to register without prior warning.
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 04:33:17 PM

Yes, but this is fantastic news for Bitcoin business in the UK. Exactly the right way to handle regulation of new technologies (i.e. let it grow then decide later). This sets a fantastic example for other countries and legitimises it as an approach. Now all we need is a willing UK bank ....

BTW this is on the same day that we learn about the new British school curriculum. It features mandatory lessons in computer programming from the start of high school, and tech/design classes that involve learning how to use 3D printers!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2013/jul/08/new-national-curriculum-published

Pretty amazing. Feeling happy to be a Brit today (that's rare!)

Of course we'll see how much they follow through, but at least the intentions are good.
kiko

Activity: 453
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 05:01:46 PM

Well that was...unexpected!

I'm pretty tempted to get a tiny market stall somewhere in central London and just run a cash exchange all old-school like; "Geeeeeetyabitcoins, geeeeeeetyabitcoins here!"

Edit: OP are you sure the date is right on the thread title?
Bitcopia

Activity: 715

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 06:01:17 PM

I'm pretty tempted to get a tiny market stall somewhere in central London and just run a cash exchange all old-school like; "Geeeeeetyabitcoins, geeeeeeetyabitcoins here!"

Hahaha yes.  Cheesy I'd come see you.
chipug

Activity: 165
Merit: 100

696B6111

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 08:12:10 PM

Yes, but this is fantastic news for Bitcoin business in the UK. Exactly the right way to handle regulation of new technologies (i.e. let it grow then decide later). This sets a fantastic example for other countries and legitimises it as an approach.

Pretty amazing. Feeling happy to be a Brit today (that's rare!)

Of course we'll see how much they follow through, but at least the intentions are good.

fully agree Smiley

if only you could do two for a pound.... Cheesy
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 01:00:02 AM

Got City of London written all over this ....

lunarboy

Activity: 544

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 07:41:59 AM

Top up your oyster card with Bitcoins  Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: