Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:36:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Winkelvoss ETP could become THE pricing mechanism for BTC  (Read 15331 times)
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 10:22:51 PM

...The risks of them losing them are so much higher than the potential profit they might make.

With ETF's this problem doesn't exist...
what do you meant under "risks" losing bitcoins (directly)?
what problem doesn't exist with ETFs?

They're 100% backed.

Holy fucking christ, there sure are some naive people on here. Please read some fucking history. Or tell you what, I'll sell you shares of my bitcoins - 5% off!!

They are 100% backed.
it's you again?  Smiley  Roll Eyes

Both the risk of losing the private keys to your own Bitcoins and leaking the private keys to others, allowing them to take them.

Yes it's me again. Do you still not understand this is 100% backed?
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 03:21:25 AM

How can I tell my daughter why it is a good idea to buy into this when a mechanism is visible to remove value, and none is visible to increase it?

It's like any ETF: the fees are only worth paying if you place a value higher than the fees on whatever benefits the ETF might be offering. In this particular case, some people might like the liquidity, some people might like being able to hold it in a brokerage account, some people might like to hold it in a retirement account where the funds are otherwise unavailable to them, etc. For many people who are already fully capable of buying Bitcoins directly, I don't think there's much advantage at all.

exactly THIS is the main problem.
we should not tell our daughters to buy into "this". we should teach them to deal with bitcoins directly.

trying to adopt bitcoin to be convenient as a sofa is a big mistake. then there will be no mind evolution, no financial revolution, nothing. anything stays where it is.

anyone who understands bitcoins true potential and designation, should try to go and develop "other" way, no matter how inconvenient it should be.

I wonder about this sometimes.  I don't think everyone has to understand it, and I don't think it can ever become ubiquitous if mind evolutions are required for everyone.  That ubiquitousness will get you your financial revolutions and true potentials even if some people remain baffled about what is going on around them.  There is good value toward your goals in making things easier.
While I agree about helping our daughters deal with bitcoins directly, that is because we care about our daughters personally enough to go through that effort for them.  A lot of folks that have credit cards don't really understand those either.  There is a place in the economy for a WBT ETF.  It just may be that most of us here won't be that place, but there are those that do want it.  If I can put this ETF in a retirement account that I can't put actual bitcoins into, then that might be a really great thing.  I hope it manages to make it through the regulatory hurdles, and I suspect that it will.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
felente

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 12:30:38 AM

I hope it manages to make it through the regulatory hurdles, and I suspect that it will.
im almost sure it will. im just not sure that i hope for...
hm... don't know... don't know...
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2013, 02:09:09 AM

One hopes it will, and that BTC stabilize at no less than $1,000 per.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Praeconium

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 10:13:28 PM

Lawyer for Winkelvoss Twins’ Bitcoin ETF Says SEC Review Going Smoothly
http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2014/01/17/lawyer-for-winkelvoss-twins-bitcoin-etf-says-sec-review-going-smoothly/

Very nice observation Greg, however do You think that such fund could be opened on any other reputable exchange and have similar effect or ETF-like investing is predominantly US style?

aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 11:29:50 PM

Yes think it would be much easier to speculate with, instead of exchanges without even taking into consideration how unreliable exchanges have become.  The term ETP is annoying to me for some reason.

I think it will drive interest rates on bitfinex down close to rates typical of margin lending at brokerages, because you can lever BTC via the ETP.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 11:30:57 PM

http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2014/01/17/lawyer-for-winkelvoss-twins-bitcoin-etf-says-sec-review-going-smoothly/

Very nice observation Greg, however do You think that such fund could be opened on any other reputable exchange and have similar effect or ETF-like investing is predominantly US style?

Loads of ETPs in London, this much I know.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
BitDreams

Activity: 503
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 03:19:13 AM

Will a Bitcoin trust help to stabilize prices? I believe so.
skivrmt

Activity: 994

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 09:24:28 PM

There are exchange traded funds (ETF's) on many exchanges around the world.  Most are traded on the American Stock Exchange or the New York Stock exchange.  My guess is if and when this ETF gets approved, it will stabilize the price, but it'll also be "over priced" vs. the real price of a Bitcoin. 

Since they will be first to the market on an easy access way to trade Bitcoins (yes, arguments on other "easy" ways to own/trade), I think it'll trade above its net asset value (NAV), especially in the beginning.  Many ETF's trade above their NAV and its not all that uncommon.
Praeconium

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 09:59:42 PM

There are exchange traded funds (ETF's) on many exchanges around the world.  Most are traded on the American Stock Exchange or the New York Stock exchange.  My guess is if and when this ETF gets approved, it will stabilize the price, but it'll also be "over priced" vs. the real price of a Bitcoin. 

Since they will be first to the market on an easy access way to trade Bitcoins (yes, arguments on other "easy" ways to own/trade), I think it'll trade above its net asset value (NAV), especially in the beginning.  Many ETF's trade above their NAV and its not all that uncommon.

This was my point exactly ETFs are found mostly in developed world, and its not that easy for people of developing countries to trade in US, although its very much possible.

But ETFs regulation present problem on their own, wouldn't there be more benefit purely for ease of transactions if a public company would have all of its assets in Bitcoin, and issue shares against it? Although this may not be allowed in US, a it may be done elsewhere and list its shares on US stock exchanges, or at least those that are easy enough to invest for US citizen.

What actual benefits would a fund bring compared to regular shares for a fixed amount of btc?
pening

Activity: 245
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 11:24:43 PM

... wouldn't there be more benefit purely for ease of transactions if a public company would have all of its assets in Bitcoin, and issue shares against it?

Well done, you just described an exchange traded fund...   Cheesy
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 12:02:31 AM

... wouldn't there be more benefit purely for ease of transactions if a public company would have all of its assets in Bitcoin, and issue shares against it?

Well done, you just described an exchange traded fund...   Cheesy

soo, thats just a parallel market with no use of the BTC involved and without the possibility of withdrawing?! im not sure whats the purpose here..  Roll Eyes
Lloydie

Activity: 140

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 08:24:59 AM

soo, thats just a parallel market with no use of the BTC involved and without the possibility of withdrawing?! im not sure whats the purpose here..  Roll Eyes
The purpose is to allow retail investors and pension funds to invest in bitcoins as an asset class and not have to worry about where to buy it, when to buy it, how to store it and when to sell it.

The WBT will probably act as a one way trapdoor for Bitcoins, driving up the value of remaining Bitcoins on the market. And that is a very, very good thing.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 10:35:35 AM

The purpose is to allow retail investors and pension funds to invest in bitcoins as an asset class and not have to worry about where to buy it, when to buy it, how to store it and when to sell it.

The WBT will probably act as a one way trapdoor for Bitcoins, driving up the value of remaining Bitcoins on the market. And that is a very, very good thing.

I would never trust such a legal monster. It's a paper market and once (if) established as a pricing mechanism for BTC, it may even present a nice attack surface for price manipulation.

If you don't have exclusive access to the key, you don't own it.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Lloydie

Activity: 140

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 02:07:27 PM

I would never trust such a legal monster. It's a paper market and once (if) established as a pricing mechanism for BTC, it may even present a nice attack surface for price manipulation.

More than that the WBT will charge annual fees. As you have computer talent, you should definitely avoid the fund but for the rest of humanity, they are probably safer with the fund.

I don't see how manipulation can take place unless the WBT lends out the btcs that they own. However, it's not smart to bet against a deflationary asset. The kind of manipulation that might take place is the WBT sucking up btcs. That I really don't think any of us would mind.  Smiley
kwest

Activity: 476

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 02:13:50 PM

Considering the Winklevii hold approximately 1% of all bitcoins, they would (logically) want bitcoin's price to rise.. I assume that's their goal with the ETF. As such I'm sure they will do whatever it takes to achieve that outcome, and prevent a devaluation.
skivrmt

Activity: 994

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 03:00:12 PM

Price manipulation?  How?  An ETF established through a US Stock Exchange is an ETF, whether dividend paying stocks or Bitcoin.  GLD is a super popular Gold ETF.  If you own this ETF, gold bullion is stored for you in a vault in London.  Not going to be much different owning this bitcoin ETF.  Bitcoins will be stored for you somewhere.
Dragonkiller

Activity: 378

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Available Now!

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 03:06:39 PM

Price manipulation?  How?  An ETF established through a US Stock Exchange is an ETF, whether dividend paying stocks or Bitcoin.  GLD is a super popular Gold ETF.  If you own this ETF, gold bullion is stored for you in a vault in London.  Not going to be much different owning this bitcoin ETF.  Bitcoins will be stored for you somewhere.

at what ratio though? how many claims to one bitcoin? and if it came to it, they can always settle in cash. it's a good way to get exposure to the price of bitcoin, but it's not the same as having your own private keys.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2014, 03:51:32 PM

soo, thats just a parallel market with no use of the BTC involved and without the possibility of withdrawing?! im not sure whats the purpose here..  Roll Eyes

Price manipulation?  How?  An ETF established through a US Stock Exchange is an ETF, whether dividend paying stocks or Bitcoin.  GLD is a super popular Gold ETF.  If you own this ETF, gold bullion is stored for you in a vault in London.  Not going to be much different owning this bitcoin ETF.  Bitcoins will be stored for you somewhere.

Price manipulation, yes.  Imagine that. There are even some famous examples, but it happens daily.

Hunt Brothers?
GATA?

Here's a quick primer from Forbes:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2010/07/23/gold-etfs-and-the-manipulation-game/

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
Praeconium

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 11:21:57 PM

True, but which does not exist anywhere as of now and does not exist as legal structure and asset class in many of developing countries Wink While stocks and bonds remain primary financial assets, at least where I live. And I don't intend on changing that due to fancy asset class.

But thank You for pointing that out.

Further, US ETFs are not accessible world wide, while they may be an ideal way of trading and I don't see how (except from regulation which is country-specific) changes the fact if share You trade is stock of a company or ETF, if underlying is the same, and other terms are similar.

This gets mentioned often, but I think it misses the point.

How is this different for general public and status quo than holding anything other than keys of Your real estate? Its always a claim, while key is held by Your broker/banker/etc.

Technically, if bank would say I dunno You, You wouldnt have access to anything. And I understand that is whole point of BitCoin but this ETF is trying to do exactly opposite, get people to invest in new asset class, just because it provides returns. Rather than because it provides You with decentralised, crypto, pseudo-privacy protocol.

These people do not intend to buy something with a share of ETF, and if and when they sell it, it will be for dollars. So they never touch BitCoins anyways.

if I am getting it right?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: