Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 03:43:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why bitcoin price dropped ?  (Read 5291 times)
marjamrob

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 09:16:48 PM

It seems that Bitcoin is like any other item based on demand, it goes up and down in price.
noodlehead

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 09:17:51 PM

It seems that Bitcoin is like any other item based on demand, it goes up and down in price.
I never thought of that. Well I hope more people are in demand for it soon.
marjamrob

Activity: 140

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 09:20:17 PM

I never thought of that. Well I hope more people are in demand for it soon.

Look at Apple's stock. It was at one point over $600, it is now under $420 a share. Different factors affect it's price, just like that of bit coin.
Rig4Coin

Activity: 16

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 09:20:27 PM

I think ASICS miner did it.

nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2013, 09:22:25 PM

OK I just joined in with the bears, emptied my wallet and sold all at ~73 USD on BTC-e. (Don't worry, the cold wallet's still intact - you'd have to pry that literally out of my dead hand.) Let's see if I can buy back at a lower price - either BTC or LTC - or whether I'll be left "holding the bag". Tongue

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
bestmarketer004

Activity: 22

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 09:33:37 PM

Because it was too high.
bitcoin-ben

Activity: 6

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 09:38:55 PM

We all know bitcoin has next to no real value in the real world with little to spend on and although we determine the price I think it's far too easy for people with a lot of money to play the bitcoin god and determine where it goes for us.
greggMD

Activity: 16

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 09:42:07 PM

It clearly dropped significantly (~30%) in the past two weeks, trying to play around with different time periods doesn't hide that fact.  the question here is why?  If there's no meaningful news, that doesn't say much for long term stability that the price can suddenly drop for no apparent reason.

Unless of course the exchange rate was over inflated two weeks ago and has simply returned to a sustainable value?

That is at least a reason.  so, following this approach, assuming the recent prices are an aboration and we now seeing a correction, where do you see the price falling to?  mid 40's? mid 30's?  longer term trend would suggest under 20.

Huh

Then I have to sell all my coins.
pening

Activity: 245
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 09:42:26 PM

Look at Apple's stock. It was at one point over $600, it is now under $420 a share. Different factors affect it's price, just like that of bit coin.

Here's the thing: usually with a significant price movement, up or down, you can find reasons behind them.  Apple has dropped in part due to profit taking, part due to corporate management changes, part due to lack of (visible) new product pipeline, part no longer the "it" stock.  all have varying degrees of impact.  

With the current Bitcoin exchange rate, there's no obvious explanation for recent price direction.  After blowing off a lot of froth from April, theres been a spell of steady price changes.  Then off a small cliff, for no apparent reason.

Of course, there *is* another side to this, as exchange rates are reflections of both sides strengths and weakness, it could be that mainstream currencies have improved their value...  any takers for that?
noodlehead

Activity: 42

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 09:45:56 PM

I really hope it goes up to over a $1,000 a coin soon. I would like t to go down to about $10 for a short time to buy a bunch first though, LOL.
cowanjeffrey93

Activity: 28

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 09:51:55 PM

Too many seller than buyers. That's the fact.
Pirouline

Activity: 24

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 09:53:16 PM

I'm kind of new to bitcoin so this may be kind of stupid to ask, how does the prices go up and down isn't there always gonna be the same amout of bitcoins?
bitcoin44me

Activity: 252

MARKETPLACE FOR PAID ADVICE LIVE BROADCASTS

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 09:55:04 PM

I'm kind of new to bitcoin so this may be kind of stupid to ask, how does the prices go up and down isn't there always gonna be the same amout of bitcoins?

No, the amount of bitcoins is increasing every minutes (not every minute actually, ...).

nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2013, 10:00:24 PM

There is still some inflation, until the supply reaches just shy of BTC21 million in about 127 years' time. Even with a steady supply, price is determined by demand (bid versus ask volume) at the margins. If bitcoin is truly to gain traction, the long-term trend has to be very bullish of course. But Bitcoin can fail and its price can fall to zero.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 4656

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 10:04:36 PM

Bitcoins can become permanently lost if someone doesn't back up their wallet and their computer crashes.  So, while the bitcoins will continue to exist, they will have been removed from circulation and shouldn't have any effect on the exchange rate.  This can reduce the supply in circulation.

25 brand new bitcoins also come into existence every time a new block is added to the blockchain by a miner.  This happens approximately once every 10 minutes on average.  This can increase the supply in circulation.

In addition, people can further reduce the supply in circulation by taking bitcoins that they've received and storing them long term with no intent to use them.

Others who already have bitcoins in long term storage can increase the supply in circulation by changing their minds and using the bitcoins that they had originally intended not to use.
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 10:07:38 PM

There is still some inflation, until the supply reaches just shy of BTC21 million in about 127 years' time. Even with a steady supply, price is determined by demand (bid versus ask volume) at the margins. If bitcoin is truly to gain traction, the long-term trend has to be very bullish of course. But Bitcoin can fail and its price can fall to zero.

This.  If more people want bitcoins from the fixed amount available, the price will rise.  If fewer people want them, the price will drop.
Piotrsama

Activity: 407
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 10:22:40 PM

Probably because ASIC miners are dumping btc like there's no tomorrow.
Runescape

Activity: 31

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 10:39:32 PM

More sellers then buyers is short answer to this
ArthurBitcoin

Activity: 19

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 10:40:42 PM

I think maybe the following 3 reasons adding up.

• Mt Gox usd withdraws resumed
  • Less "buzz" about bitcoin lately because it's been awhile since the peak at 250
  • Some ASIC miners might be in a rush to get the money they invested back, ie they're rushing to "ROI" them, and selling coins

What to do about it?
We need more users !
Buy USB "Block Eruptor" Miners from CanaryInTheMine.  Start mining with them, and try to sell them to tech savvy friends asap !

Here's the US Group buy thread from CanaryInTheMine...
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=251851.0[/color][/b]
Now get to it!  Smiley Smiley Smiley
villanfonsDC

Activity: 28

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 11:20:10 PM

Sellers did it.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: